Banks Dragster

These threads always go downhill so fast.

I'm not sure that any thread that is started with the purpose of insulting a race team ever works out that well. The name or stickers on the car or truck isn't important in my eyes.

The Banks crew have always been friendly to us when we race with them, so I will never agree with those who feel the need to slam them constantly.

I visit this board because my husband and I race diesel trucks. I mostly read the drag section. If someone were to treat the John Robinson team the same way, I'd stand up for them as well, because everytime we have met them, they were friendly and professional. As well as many other teams.

I have caught heat before for taking the side of a racer or team, and not just trucks. It's a pet peeve of mine. If a racer is friendly at the track and professional, I will stand up for them. It is as simple as that. Whether they drive a Cobra, Viper, BMW, Honda, or whatever, it is all the same.

I'm not sure that any thread that is started with the purpose of insulting a race team ever works out that well. The name or stickers on the car or truck isn't important in my eyes.

The Banks crew have always been friendly to us when we race with them, so I will never agree with those who feel the need to slam them constantly.

I visit this board because my husband and I race diesel trucks. I mostly read the drag section. If someone were to treat the John Robinson team the same way, I'd stand up for them as well, because everytime we have met them, they were friendly and professional. As well as many other teams.

I have caught heat before for taking the side of a racer or team, and not just trucks. It's a pet peeve of mine. If a racer is friendly at the track and professional, I will stand up for them. It is as simple as that. Whether they drive a Cobra, Viper, BMW, Honda, or whatever, it is all the same.

Totally agree Kat, I've met the Banks team and they are as you say, same with Team Green, Dennis Perry and Dan Schied. We had a good discussion about this at the NHRDA Eastern Regional finals on Oct 24th. He said they like the smoke in that country and it's part of the show. We parted friends and I respect his position, my only point is I'm way more impressed with a fast truck, rail, whatever if they can clean up the smoke after the turbos, NOS whatever kicks in. A trail of black smoke down the track is not my thing. If I could figure out a way to not smoke spooling up on the line and get similiar results short of NOS, believe me we would be doing it. The smoke show is for the pullers IMO. My$.02

I don't suppose that anyone has considered that the diesel smog checks have nothing to do with the occasional moron that is rolling a cloud, and everything to do with "Hey, I've got an idea. I was looking through DMV records and there are xxx,xxx diesel powered vehicles in this state. If we make them start going through smog checks every 2 years like everyone else, it's going to generate xx,xxx,xxx dollars that we can throw straight up into the air". Thunderous applause, pats on the back.

Just a thought.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is deffinately what the States / Politicians think!!!!

As for some civilians though, the smoke is a nusense and a hazzard...Depending on the circumstance, I would agree...

Well, I'm with ya on the smoke thing....It's still kinda hard to not let the "kid" in me out every once and a while about the smoke...We ALL used to think it was cool...Now we have to look at the big picture...

But let me say this as many above have beat me too it....

Which one am I most likely to Chase you down and stopped you for???

Black smoke until the turbo lights? Or drag racing down the public road at 100+ MPH???

I'm not saying I've never done it, cause I have..But let put things in perspective here!!!

Ever cop I know would nail you to the wall for racing, but the smoke thing...Not so much!!

:D

Actually, if you were behind us, you would not have seen me speeding. It was so much smoke I was embarrassed to be driving a diesel. If it was a puff of smoke, I wouldn't have had to get in front of him, and there would be no story to tell about it.

I suppose the proper thing to do would have been to pull over and wait a few minutes for the smoke to clear before proceeding, but much like when there is a car with the choke stuck fogging out the lanes, I'd rather just get in front and continue driving.

Not that it's important, but the flow of traffic on the 71 freeway is usually 80-85, it's very wide in that area, and it's not busy. Over 100 in California is just like a drunk driving ticket and they use lasers, so going past 100 is too risky for my taste.

OK, think of it like this........

Banks racing crew may vary well be great people and very nice...But the Banks ads are laughable!!!!

It's just the same as Profiling or Someone being racist / prejudice!!!

Some people don't like Blacks because the Very high % of crimes are commented by them...But that doesn't mean that ALL are like that....

Some people Hate / Despise Muslims or people of indian decent because they associate them with Terrorist and Bombings!!!!

All some of us are saying is the judging from the Banks ads and arrogance, It may make some of us have a bad taste for the WHOLE Banks company!!

Not saying its right, I'm just saying......And if you say you've Never Pre-Judged someone / company because of their Race / Politics / Ads, Then I'm sure you'd be lying......

Speed limits are retarded... Slowness limits should be imposed IMHO. If you are to timid to go 60 in a 60 on a sunny day, even in the right lane, damn it, you do not deserve to drive.

Actually, if you were behind us, you would not have seen me speeding. It was so much smoke I was embarrassed to be driving a diesel. If it was a puff of smoke, I wouldn't have had to get in front of him, and there would be no story to tell about it.

I suppose the proper thing to do would have been to pull over and wait a few minutes for the smoke to clear before proceeding, but much like when there is a car with the choke stuck fogging out the lanes, I'd rather just get in front and continue driving.

Not that it's important, but the flow of traffic on the 71 freeway is usually 80-85, it's very wide in that area, and it's not busy. Over 100 in California is just like a drunk driving ticket and they use lasers, so going past 100 is too risky for my taste.

I was just playing Devil advocate!!

For the Record! I WOULD'VE DONE THE SAME THING YOU DID!!! :hehe:

I wasn't always a cop!! LOL Thats actully what I was doing when my rod let go and windowed my block because of the coolant in the oil.....:bang
Kinda scary at 90+....lol

OK, think of it like this........

Banks racing crew may vary well be great people and very nice...But the Banks adds are laughable!!!!

It's just the same as Profiling or Someone being racist / prejudice!!!

Some people don't like Blacks because the Very high % of crimes are commented by them...But that doesn't mean that ALL are like that....

Some people Hate / Despise Muslims or people of indian decent because they associate them with Terrorist and Bombings!!!!

All some of us are saying is the judging from the Banks ads and arrogance, It may make some of us have a bad taste for the WHOLE Banks company!!

Not saying its right, I'm just saying......And if you say you've Never Pre-Judged someone / company because of their Race / Politics / Ads, Then I'm sure you'd be lying......

But this is a racing forum. Racing is my addiction, not advertising. After next weekend (the last land speed race of the year), we are going back to the dragstrip with our truck, and I'm going to do my best to run a 9 second quarter mile, and hopefully put on a good show in the process. The truck is legal to 8.50 and I'm now licensed to 7.50. But a 9.99999 would really make my day. If the Banks crew is out there too, I hope they put on another good show like usual.

And that's what it's about.

Did anyone else notice the small puff of smoke as the Banks rail left the water box and started the burnout. Even with nitrous, you still need half a second of rich=smokey burn to get the rev gain, build a little heat, and spool the turbos.

And as far as diesel emissions, Nevada has them. When I moved here I was appalled that the WILD state of Nevada with gambling, prostitution, public open container, strip club on every corner, etc would have a stupid regulation like emissions testing for diesels.

I dug into the facts and apparently this dry dusty state has problems with air quality, especially from PM10 sized particles. The Federal Government came down on Nevada and so in response, we have diesel emissions, crazy dust control laws that prohibit riding motorcycles in the open desert areas around town. Dust control laws that waste billions of gallons of water in the construction industry; all in a state that is desperate for water.

Similar air quality standards also brought about diesel emissions testing for Utah and Colorado.

As far as California's diesel smog tests, it looks like a way to generate revenue, cut down on redneck smoke fests, and of course .... protect California's "green" image.

Alright I skipped all of the posts after Taylor's just to say. Nailed it Taylor! Glad at least a few can figure out what's being said in here.

Now back to reading. :pop:

Glad Banks is going fast but all I was saying earlier is that I'd rather watch Schied!! A rail that sounds and look like a gasser (cause they are) are all over the place......I just find Schied more fun to watch...

Not to mention Schied doesn't have arrogant sounding magazine adds.....

:clap:

they could use a picture of the schied rail with a red X through it in their next ads LOL

It was so much smoke I was embarrassed to be driving a diesel.

Well apparently it all the image with you. Do you feel embarrassed when your eating at your favorite restaurant and a kid at the next table burps and doesn't say excuse me? Do you go onto the internet and tell how offended you were? Probably not. You chalk it up to bad manners or not old enough to now better or no one to teach them right and wrong.

If diesel smoke is an embarrassment to you then you have no place in diesel motor sports! I like smoke! I like it from diesel pullers and I like if from diesel drag racers, it's what makes us different from gas! I talked to subman at Bowling Green about the smoke, he does not like it, well that his opinion and that's ok. He is still a nice guy and I hope to talk to him again. The people from out west have a different mind set. That the air quality is so poor that planet earth is going to die! Well yours may be bad on that side of the country but ours is not and a little diesel smoke is not going to hurt it. Sorry for the rant and let the bi#$hing begin!

Keep in mind this is a Banks Thread and I have no problem with them going fast with or without smoke, just bring the same products to the table for everyone else to purchase.

Thanks Jeff

Again Kat & Subman miss the obvious again, this is not about the ACTUAL RACE TEAM cause they are great guys and no one is saying different! Most on here are express their opinions of the company as a whole and what they offer to the REAL performance customer, but that's just it BANKS is not a HIGH performance company and they have nothing to offer customers that want serious performance.

Just goes back to the ignorant person who says " That truck got the BANKS in it?" when they don't know what THE BANKS is, nor have they been fed any information from the company to help their learning on our sport or performance products.

So you are saying that unless a racer or race team sells you parts for your race plans, they are rotten people. That's a pretty big list.

And that blocking out 4 lanes of traffic to accelerate from 40-80mph in 10 seconds is the sign of a real race truck, no matter how painfully slow it is.

And if a diesel pickup doesn't smoke worse than a 64 Impala with bad rings and the choke stuck closed, it would be no fun to drive, and certainly not a real diesel.

I really can't argue with that. So I'll just keep racing and when somebody asks why my truck doesn't smoke enough, I'll just tell them it's broke.

You honestly don't read anything people post do you?

I never said they are rotten people, just that they do not bring real performance products to the table.

Your truck doesn't smoke Kat?

If you think I like smoke and blocking out traffic WHILE YOU KAT are driving reckless and putting peoples lives in danger on the road and you think that's ok? Then YOUR WRONG! Seems like u need to get your morals in check.

Look up the No smoke slogan thread genius!

It's a FREAKIN 64 IMPALA!!!! Who cares if it smokes! They are still sweet!!

You need to calm down on your bashing skills and focus more on reading and being able comprehend what people write.

I agree though stick to your street racing, and we will stick to policing smoke and racing on the streets.

It has nothing to do with air pollution for me, and I said I don't run any of Banks' products. If they had an innercooler that would hold 150 psi with great reliability I'd be on the phone with them for sure. Why is it so important for any company to offer for sale the stuff they race? People who buy off the shelf bolt on performance parts wouldn't want them anyway. I think the Banks truck and rail are great things to promote their business and what they do doesn't hurt the image for the rest of us either.

By the way, air quality where I live in central Oregon is some of the best in the country, primarily because there aren't many people, we don't have emissions testing either. I just think the advancement in diesels is much better served with efficient non smoking common rail engines. The old school P and Sigma pumps don't impress me, I want to see the fuel you injected into an engine burn clean not go up the stack and out as soot. As far as show goes, we don't draw enough people to watch diesel drag races to call it much of a show, smoke or no smoke. If the old image of a stinky, smokey, rattling diesel is what you want to project then the old P pumps and 12 valves are certainly the way to do it. I don't buy this, "it's our heritage" argument either, leave the heritage for antique shows and nostalgia drags.

lol, u can buy any part that schied makes, from the dragster motor to the 3 turbo motor, sure would be nice to get some fingers on any of the fancy stuff banks makes lol wishful thinking i guess

Yea why does a performance company have to sell the parts that they use to performance customers? Hmmmmmm :hehe: Nice!!

Back