Banks Dragster

Who cares about the money?? These things aren't built on a budget. You think Scheids doesn't have endless money/testing in theres? These are the people that make it possible for all of us to go out and run 11' and even 12's in a street truck. Cause we all know they won't do it stock. There is always gonna be someone out there with more money or a rig with more hp. Get over the money thing. Until everyone is building on a set budget its a useless excuse. The endless money the guys like Scheids and Banks have put into these things are the reason our sport is getting more and more attention.
you can sugar coat it all you want.. Don't say Scheids and Banks are similar, they are not. Scheids has plenty of customer trucks doing incredible things on Asphalt tracks, dirt tracks and on the rollers. Banks shells out endless amounts of money to sell a product that doesn't even compare. Not further the sport. They slam our sport more then anything. When was the last time you saw a Banks customer doing well at any event? Hell when was the last time you saw a Banks customer that even knew a damn thing about diesels? Banks is in it for the marketing money. His guys that run the toys may be cool people and know a thing or two. But Banks is a salesperson, nothing more.

you can sugar coat it all you want.. Don't say Scheids and Banks are similar, they are not. Scheids has plenty of customer trucks doing incredible things on Asphalt tracks, dirt tracks and on the rollers. Banks shells out endless amounts of money to sell a product that doesn't even compare. Not further the sport. They slam our sport more then anything. When was the last time you saw a Banks customer doing well at any event? Hell when was the last time you saw a Banks customer that even knew a damn thing about diesels? Banks is in it for the marketing money. His guys that run the toys may be cool people and know a thing or two. But Banks is a salesperson, nothing more.

Very good Post!:clap:

Well what if Schied was on the Sqeeze?? Less smoke and a quicker / faster time...Then Banks would have even more work to do.....

Jason's got a point with the smoke vs . actual emmisions issue...Long as we're arrguing emmisions.....If it's the score board that you have issue with, then just sit higher up in the stands......

Glad Banks is going fast but all I was saying earlier is that I'd rather watch Schied!! A rail that sounds and look like a gasser (cause they are) are all over the place......I just find Schied more fun to watch...

Not to mention Schied doesn't have arrogant sounding magazine adds.....

Sorry fella's not impressed with the smoke, has nothing to do with emmisions or arrogance, or what Banks has or hasn't done or Schied had for diesel racing. I'm way more impressed if you can burn the fuel. Banks does, Schied doesn't, period.

I don't run any products from either of them.

Sorry fella's not impressed with the smoke, has nothing to do with emmisions or arrogance, or what Banks has or hasn't done or Schied had for diesel racing. I'm way more impressed if you can burn the fuel. Banks does, Schied doesn't, period.

I don't run any products from either of them.
As far as Banks is concerned, your truck smokes too much. Look at your avatar. Banks truck doesn't do that, why does yours?

When looking at the bank's vs. Schied rail debate, think about this:

The Schied dragster has a ppump, not a sigma, and 2 chagers.

The Schied Mod truck has triples, a 12cyl pump, and issues holding a block together.

Think about that.

Also, no smoke on the track is stupid as hell. Thats my opinion.

these people who piss and moan about the banks dragster smoking don't realize, all that fuel helps to cool it...

On a side note i think its about time for scheid to turn up the wick on his dragster! :rockwoot:

Very good Post!:clap:

As far as Banks is concerned, your truck smokes too much. Look at your avatar. Banks truck doesn't do that, why does yours?

The Schied Mod truck has triples, a 12cyl pump, and issues holding a block together.

Think about that.

all of you guys can't be that ignorant can you...? "Also, no smoke on the track is stupid as hell." that is an absolute idiotic statement... how long has the Scheid Rail been around? How long has the Banks Rail been running for? I guarantee the Banks Rail will shatter all records previously held by a Cummins powered Rail....

I was driving back to our shop this week, and there was a Dodge that pulled up to me at an intersection. I was driving Wendy. He was smoking black at idle, had a loud exhaust, and a bunch of gauges and stickers. Urban Cowboy type. The light changed, and I played with him for a bit, then slowed down and let him do a "ricer-flyby". He was blowing black smoke everywhere to the point of slowing down other traffic, and I didn't want to encourage him more into being more of an ass in public.

He got on the freeway ramp ahead of me, and I had to follow. Lucky me. When the ramp straightened out, he hit it and blacked out my view. I had enough. I kicked it down 2 gears, and let him have it from a 60mph roll.

By the time I hit 100, he was back about 10 buslengths. I could see his truck clearly in the rearview, but behind him was just smoke.

In California, we are getting smog checks for diesels next year. Not because of Banks, Scheid, Edge, Elvis, Greenpeace, or Obama. Because of guys like that who believe they are the only drivers allowed on the road. The smog check is nothing but a smoke check, big surprise.

If you think the future of diesel performance is to piss off everyone who wants to see where they are driving, then you are the problem, not guys like Banks.

But this is a Competition Diesel board, and as of yet, not one person can come up with anything that says the Banks team are unprofessional in their competition efforts. The best you can come up with is they don't make enough smoke or sell smoke kits.

Grow up.

I like my truck, it's fun to drive, and it hauls ass. I don't need people trying to wreck it for the 90% of us who want to be good neighbors AND go racing on the weekends.

I'd have to say you are out of line a little Kat, I would say 95% on this site do not do this for the smoke and also do not hate banks because they DO NOT SMOKE, I believe your missing the point, Your also racing on the highway at over 100+mph putting peoples lives in danger in your heavy set truck, sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me a little, but that could just be my take on this. I believe you mid understood what some of this is about. I for one would have much more respect for the BANKS company if they were building customers trucks like scheids, haisley, TS, etc but we have yet too see them bring something to the table that makes the average joe trucks be able to compete with the Top Diesel Shops. If I start seeing customers trucks that are built by banks beat the competition I'll "check" my mouth.

As for the smoke............well man these are true diesels to the bone even the old stockers puffed a little, and some part of me thinks once the smoke goes away then we lose a little part of our heritage,part of our heart and soul of diesels!!! it's just part of the sport, it's a show!!!! But running clean I'm all for especially on the street. I hate being smoked out on the road and I'd love to get rid of that portion of it, it's bad safety wise and for our growth.

As for the BANKS rail smashing records.............well the fukkin ought too for the money they have in that rig and i'd be dissapointed if they didn't, but scheid and crew haven't needed to be pushed or tested now is the time for the competition to push eachother and see what they can really do! Look for records to be broken back and forth.

Taylor M.
Lover of the diesels (yea and I don't mind the smoke either, just don't abuse it)

I'd have to say you are out of line a little Kat, I would say 95% on this site do not do this for the smoke and also do not hate banks because they DO NOT SMOKE, I believe your missing the point, Your also racing on the highway at over 100+mph putting peoples lives in danger in your heavy set truck, sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me a little, but that could just be my take on this. I believe you mid understood what some of this is about. I for one would have much more respect for the BANKS company if they were building customers trucks like scheids, haisley, TS, etc but we have yet too see them bring something to the table that makes the average joe trucks be able to compete with the Top Diesel Shops. If I start seeing customers trucks that are built by banks beat the competition I'll "check" my mouth.

As for the smoke............well man these are true diesels to the bone even the old stockers puffed a little, and some part of me thinks once the smoke goes away then we lose a little part of our heritage,part of our heart and soul of diesels!!! it's just part of the sport, it's a show!!!! But running clean I'm all for especially on the street. I hate being smoked out on the road and I'd love to get rid of that portion of it, it's bad safety wise and for our growth.

As for the BANKS rail smashing records.............well the fukkin ought too for the money they have in that rig and i'd be dissapointed if they didn't, but scheid and crew haven't needed to be pushed or tested now is the time for the competition to push eachother and see what they can really do! Look for records to be broken back and forth.

Taylor M.
Lover of the diesels (yea and I don't mind the smoke either, just don't abuse it)

There are a lot of members on here that think smoke is terrible and yet think going 100 + on public highways or street racing is OK. I do not believe that blacking out highways or intersections is cool by any means, but taking a 6500lb+ truck that at 100 miles an hour has the steering and braking capabilities of a fully loaded hoarse drawn log wagon on a 20% down hill grade is OK. Just because people can see behind you dosen't mean the people in front of you know you couldn't stop or steer around the 90 year old lady that just pulled in your lane.

As far as Scheid vs. Banks, old technology vs. new, heavy vs. light, fuel vs. nos. Even though they are both rails and both diesels, they are very different. Dan could easily throw a few hundred more HP. to the dragster but the track can not hold what there putting out now. The tire shake and smoking the tires at mid track are problems that have to be over come in order for them to progress in my opinion. Banks may not have these issues due to lighter weight and running nos. and being able to bring there hp. in as they progress down the track.

As far as furthering the sport, obviously Dan Scheid has done more in 5 years than Gail Banks. Banks products are for the ones that listen to the commercials. As far as I know none of the competitors that we race with are running there products, except for there trucks, and there are countless trucks with with Scheid, Haisley,Edge,Smarty,Ts.,Tst,and countless others that are at the tracks on any given night preforming and testing and progressing there technology and our sport. I don't see that from Banks, at least not in our part of the country.

About a year ago there was an interview with Gail in Diesel power or diesel world about him trying to get epa laws passed to take all the smoke away from diesels on the street, and I replied in a thread calling him an ahole, and for that I apologize. I was of the opinion then and still am that if you take smoke away from diesels on the street them it won't be long before someone tries to take it away on the track, and in my opinion if you take away the smoke then you take away the show.

I know someone will disagree with me and that ok. These are my opinions and they only mater to me!

A side note to Dan and Gail: Lets get it on, and God help you Gail if Dan ever decides to run NOS.LOL

There are a lot of members on here that think smoke is terrible and yet think going 100 + on public highways or street racing is OK. I do not believe that blacking out highways or intersections is cool by any means, but taking a 6500lb+ truck that at 100 miles an hour has the steering and braking capabilities of a fully loaded hoarse drawn log wagon on a 20% down hill grade is OK. Just because people can see behind you dosen't mean the people in front of you know you couldn't stop or steer around the 90 year old lady that just pulled in your lane.

As far as Scheid vs. Banks, old technology vs. new, heavy vs. light, fuel vs. nos. Even though they are both rails and both diesels, they are very different. Dan could easily throw a few hundred more HP. to the dragster but the track can not hold what there putting out now. The tire shake and smoking the tires at mid track are problems that have to be over come in order for them to progress in my opinion. Banks may not have these issues due to lighter weight and running nos. and being able to bring there hp. in as they progress down the track.

As far as furthering the sport, obviously Dan Scheid has done more in 5 years than Gail Banks. Banks products are for the ones that listen to the commercials. As far as I know none of the competitors that we race with are running there products, except for there trucks, and there are countless trucks with with Scheid, Haisley,Edge,Smarty,Ts.,Tst,and countless others that are at the tracks on any given night preforming and testing and progressing there technology and our sport. I don't see that from Banks, at least not in our part of the country.

About a year ago there was an interview with Gail in Diesel power or diesel world about him trying to get epa laws passed to take all the smoke away from diesels on the street, and I replied in a thread calling him an ahole, and for that I apologize. I was of the opinion then and still am that if you take smoke away from diesels on the street them it won't be long before someone tries to take it away on the track, and in my opinion if you take away the smoke then you take away the show.

I know someone will disagree with me and that ok. These are my opinions and they only mater to me!

A side note to Dan and Gail: Lets get it on, and God help you Gail if Dan ever decides to run NOS.LOL

Hit the nail on the head with banks, no one hates them because they are fast but because they have 10 pages of advertising in every magazine and all there products are no where near the same is what they bring to the track. Scheid on the other hand will sell you just about anything you need to go fast or make a full pull along with machine work if you need it.

My truck from the factory is rated at 108mph on oem tires. The truck is "safe" according to DOT and Dodge. My truck will keep straight at 130mph with no hands on the wheel. I highly doubt a 2nd gen can do that at 40mph.

My point is drive with in you and your vehicle means, not an ounce more. This means watching for that old lady cutting you off and having and "out".

I suppose we will just have to disagree about the braking and steering of late model GMC's, or the dangers of an 8 sec burst up to 30 mph over the posted limit to pass somebody who is dangerous. I'd rather be in front of somebody who is going to blind everyone on the highway. There was no race, he was just out to show everyone his truck can smoke, and I didn't want to be behind him. I'm not 20 years old (I wish), I don't have tickets or accidents, and I try to drive defensively. Sometimes that means having to get in front of people.

But that is not the point. This is a smoke story, and I doubt that many on this board have not seen the same kind of situation.

Speeding causes speed laws. Smoking causes smoke laws. Every 98' and newer diesel pickup owner in CA now will have to take their trucks to have them checked for smoke just so they can find the few guys who love to smoke out the streets.

This time, California was not the first to pass an emissions law. Apparently the problem hit other states harder, so they got diesel emissions testing first. I expect that all states will do it in time based on how much of a public nuisance it becomes.

Blaming anyone but the offenders is a joke. But if you must blame somebody other than who caused it, I suppose you could blame those who sell products that cause excessive smoke. I would not blame them, because racing parts serve a purpose. If they are misused, it's the buyer who is to blame.

Last edited:
I don't suppose that anyone has considered that the diesel smog checks have nothing to do with the occasional moron that is rolling a cloud, and everything to do with "Hey, I've got an idea. I was looking through DMV records and there are xxx,xxx diesel powered vehicles in this state. If we make them start going through smog checks every 2 years like everyone else, it's going to generate xx,xxx,xxx dollars that we can throw straight up into the air". Thunderous applause, pats on the back.

Just a thought.

I don't suppose that anyone has considered that the diesel smog checks have nothing to do with the occasional moron that is rolling a cloud, and everything to do with "Hey, I've got an idea. I was looking through DMV records and there are xxx,xxx diesel powered vehicles in this state. If we make them start going through smog checks every 2 years like everyone else, it's going to generate xx,xxx,xxx dollars that we can throw straight up into the air". Thunderous applause, pats on the back.

Just a thought.
Awww come on dude, it's never about the money! Their just looking out for your health and safety! LOL:clap::clap::clap:

Think about that.

If I couldn't clean up the smoke I'd think it was stupid too.

Well, I'm with ya on the smoke thing....It's still kinda hard to not let the "kid" in me out every once and a while about the smoke...We ALL used to think it was cool...Now we have to look at the big picture...

But let me say this as many above have beat me too it....

Which one am I most likely to Chase you down and stopped you for???

Black smoke until the turbo lights? Or drag racing down the public road at 100+ MPH???

I'm not saying I've never done it, cause I have..But let put things in perspective here!!!

Ever cop I know would nail you to the wall for racing, but the smoke thing...Not so much!!

I was driving back to our shop this week, and there was a Dodge that pulled up to me at an intersection. I was driving Wendy. He was smoking black at idle, had a loud exhaust, and a bunch of gauges and stickers. Urban Cowboy type. The light changed, and I played with him for a bit, then slowed down and let him do a "ricer-flyby". He was blowing black smoke everywhere to the point of slowing down other traffic, and I didn't want to encourage him more into being more of an ass in public.

He got on the freeway ramp ahead of me, and I had to follow. Lucky me. When the ramp straightened out, he hit it and blacked out my view. I had enough. I kicked it down 2 gears, and let him have it from a 60mph roll.

By the time I hit 100, he was back about 10 buslengths. I could see his truck clearly in the rearview, but behind him was just smoke.

In California, we are getting smog checks for diesels next year. Not because of Banks, Scheid, Edge, Elvis, Greenpeace, or Obama. Because of guys like that who believe they are the only drivers allowed on the road. The smog check is nothing but a smoke check, big surprise.

If you think the future of diesel performance is to piss off everyone who wants to see where they are driving, then you are the problem, not guys like Banks.

But this is a Competition Diesel board, and as of yet, not one person can come up with anything that says the Banks team are unprofessional in their competition efforts. The best you can come up with is they don't make enough smoke or sell smoke kits.

Grow up.

I like my truck, it's fun to drive, and it hauls ass. I don't need people trying to wreck it for the 90% of us who want to be good neighbors AND go racing on the weekends.

Back