draw bar hitch angle ???

I thought about that but then a guy would need to make it telescope well and add some weight. Unless you can push it into cheat territory (greater than 25 degrees) I'd be surprised to see much difference. Did you fool with it much to see any changes?

I know mine now hooks harder than it ever did.

The more flat I made it the more it would hook the rear. Subsequently wanting to lift the front more. All trucks will be different. IMO it all depends on how much weight you have up front. That will determine were you set the angle.
I also made it telescope with several holes for 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts.

I thought about that but then a guy would need to make it telescope well and add some weight. Unless you can push it into cheat territory (greater than 25 degrees) I'd be surprised to see much difference. Did you fool with it much to see any changes?

I know mine now hooks harder than it ever did.

So what do you have for a pivot on the frame side? Bearings?

And with your traction bars and this setup, you're essentially making a rigid rear suspension, or at least as close as you can get to one legally. I like the idea!

IMG_20131113_184859_761_zpsmttfgieq.jpg

So what do you have for a pivot on the frame side? Bearings?

And with your traction bars and this setup, you're essentially making a rigid rear suspension, or at least as close as you can get to one legally. I like the idea!

736DB391-590C-44C8-8161-F82642F84A2A_zpsium1heh8.jpg

Welded 1" nuts inside the cross tube and then it's just threaded bolts hammered down with the impact. Takes about 30 seconds flat to remove it.

As to legality we half ass follow ntpa up here and don't think draw bar anything is allowed in 2.6.

That hitch didn't exceed 25 degrees. Was more than 44inches to the hook point. And nothing was forward of the centerline of the axle.
I agree that some some 2.6 classes do not allow draw bar hitches. Which is exactly what mine is. I also wasn't pulling in a 2.6 class either.

736DB391-590C-44C8-8161-F82642F84A2A_zpsium1heh8.jpg

Welded 1" nuts inside the cross tube and then it's just threaded bolts hammered down with the impact. Takes about 30 seconds flat to remove it.

As to legality we half ass follow ntpa up here and don't think draw bar anything is allowed in 2.6.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

That hitch didn't exceed 25 degrees. Was more than 44inches to the hook point. And nothing was forward of the centerline of the axle.
I agree that some some 2.6 classes do not allow draw bar hitches. Which is exactly what mine is. I also wasn't pulling in a 2.6 class either.

I was thinking there was some ruling about not going above the frame rails??

I was thinking there was some ruling about not going above the frame rails??

Ya there probably is. Honestly it pulled better down below the frame rails anyway. I wanted enough adjustment to try out different positions.

According to PPL hitch drawing this is illegal for 2.6 and 3.0.

Support or mount must be between the frame rails.
Adjuster must be mounted centerline of the rear axle or below.

I think its great posting a picture to help guys out. But dont post something that is clearly illegal just about anywhere you can hook.

According to PPL hitch drawing this is illegal for 2.6 and 3.0.

Support or mount must be between the frame rails.
Adjuster must be mounted centerline of the rear axle or below.

I think its great posting a picture to help guys out. But dont post something that is clearly illegal just about anywhere you can hook.

Where does it say must be between the frame rails? All I see is the rules say must be frame mounted. The adjusters mounted centerline is a new rule. Also if you look at the axle in my picture it has 3 holes. I could mount the adjusters above centerline, centerline, or below center line.

which centerline of the axle? Where is this drawing? Mine is a little different but close and it's legal

Its not a new rule. This wording has been in place since they allowed drawbar hitchs. You can get the legal hitch specs from a ppl tech official. You would think if i could tell the adjusters were mounted above centerline of the axle tube i could tell the mount location is adjustable but that still doesnt make whats in the picture legal.

Re read them again & I think the only issue is the definition of which center line for the adjusters. However it's up to the tech. I have an email that says mine legal and it's very similar to the one pictured

if the argument at hand were true (or the rules were simply not enforced all season) a majority of the 3.0 trucks that made a points run last season would have been dq'd every hook based on hitch rules.

What am i rereading. I cant read some tech officals mind to know if he is going to just make up his own rules that night. The info is not in the rule book but the info and specs are on the ppl hitch drawing they will give you if you ask. Its like in 2.6 the rules say oem rearend yet techs passed open rearends in tech.

Last edited:
Back