draw bar hitch angle ???

This has been stated before, but the nose will only lift until the draw bar angle matches the chain angle. That is the point of a draw bar hitch.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is true or not but I have had a couple of little boys tell me but it does help to match the hitch angle angle of the hook on the sled what do you all think

It all depends on setup. A hitch with lots of angle can fix/mask a setup problem. Flatter the hitch the more it can raise the front end during the pull. But if you have enough weight up front to counter the lifting the flatter the hitch can be ran. Which will hook the rear ever more.
IMHO

Been a super long time since I posted on here but I just thought I would clear something up....The rules that state that the draw bar can not be on a steeper angle than the angle of the chain or say 25 degree's is because it becomes a safety factor...when a draw bar is on a super steep angle (past the angle of the chain) the hook can actually easily make its way out of the hitch hole and cause the truck/tractor to break away from the sled especially in the even of a bounce or something worse!

Ryan

A drawbar that has an angle greater than the chain has an unfair advantage because it will want to raise the hitch height.

Nothing to do with how the hook, hooks.

Last edited:
Move lower supports to the bottom holes below centerline and it is PPL legal.

My brackets for the hitch adjusters are welded to the back side of the rear axle housing, the hole for the attachment pins are on the same center line as the center line of the rear axle. So if I oblong the holes slightly and prove that the center line of the attachment pins are lets say .010 below the center line of the rear axle is this legal?

Please clarify as I plan on making a few PPL pulls if my work schedule permits.

Thanks, RK

Page 43 #5 Add No hitch supports or adjusters, if fastened to the rear axle housing shall be above the center
line of the rear axle. Pivot pin of drawbar can be no farther forward than centerline of the rear axle

Keven,

So I would interpret that any amount (.010) below axle centerline is acceptable?

Thanks,

RK

What benefit do u think u will gain from leaving the mounts in that spot instead of lower, where they will be less contested.

You don't want hitch same angle as chain, as it will bend hitch UP, if you bounce it real hard.
Seems like you would WANT an angle less than the angle of the chain to get some weight on the rear tires.

What benefit do u think u will gain from leaving the mounts in that spot instead of lower, where they will be less contested.

I will save 3-4 hours labor cutting my existing brackets off and re-welding them in position if it is not necessary.
I don't have a lot of free time in the spring and summer.

Back