draw bar hitch angle ???

Yeah, the links mounted on rearend, above the centerline of the rearend, would be illegal about anywhere they have rules.
Ditto on mount rear links directly to hitch and loosing the angle iron bracket.

Move lower supports to the bottom holes below centerline and it is PPL legal.

Last edited:
Move lower supports to the bottom holes below centerline and it is PPL legal.

Thanks that's what thought.

That hitch was made several years ago. I'll be making a new one for the truck. When I trip over a pile of money.

So just double checking there's no rule about the forward point of the draw bar being above the frame rails provided it's centreline the rear diff? When I built mine it was with both NTPA/PPL and the NHRDA copy of the rules and didn't see it if that's the case.

So just double checking there's no rule about the forward point of the draw bar being above the frame rails provided it's centreline the rear diff? When I built mine it was with both NTPA/PPL and the NHRDA copy of the rules and didn't see it if that's the case.

I remember a long time ago I saw a rule stating it can't be higher than 19.5 inches above axle centerline. But I can't find it anymore.

I think the 25* is supposed to limit the height of the attachment point. I think there was discussion of this on a 2.6 truck at scheids last year. The truck sits low, unlike many of the pullers, so he had his attachment point above his frame.

In our area the Outlaw pulling organization states that it must be below the frame rails, but as you stated PPL does not.

I don't see anywhere that it's illegal in NTPA or PPL. In 2.6 if you have to cut the bed theres a bit of a grey area from what I see:

"The body must be the OEM truck body, including the full
bed floor."

Otherwise it just says it must be frame mounted:

"Hook point must be no closer than 44” of centerline of
rear axle, hitch height maximum of 26”, with a minimum
of a 3.75” X 3.0” opening. Hitch point must be easily
accessed. No “trick” type hitches permitted. Hitch must be
stationary in all directions. Hitch must be frame mounted. Hitch must be mounted centerline of rear axle or behind.
Hitch must not exceed a maximum of 25 degree angle from
pivot point to hook point. No hitch supports or adjusters, if fastened to the rear axle housing shall be above the
center line of the rear axle. Pivot pin of drawbar can be no farther forward than centerline of the rear axle."

According to PPL hitch drawing this is illegal for 2.6 and 3.0.

Support or mount must be between the frame rails.
Adjuster must be mounted centerline of the rear axle or below.

I think its great posting a picture to help guys out. But dont post something that is clearly illegal just about anywhere you can hook.

This may be somewhat of a stretch but are the adjusters attached to the rear axle not below the frame? This would then be illegal if its illegal to have the hitch mounted above the rails. Are the adjusters not also supports?

The way I interpret the rule is that everything has to stay between the rails from side to side not up and down. Everyone will have their own understanding of the rules. In the end it all comes down the the tech official and who you are or what shop your from.

Last edited:
I agree it would be interesting to see the top dogs set up for the turnbuckles on their drawbars that may be key as far as the rules read I interpreted that nothing is more forward than the center line of the front axle and everything will probably be mounted in betweenthe top frame rails and the axle is how I understand it

I can't figure out how to post pics but if anyone wants pics they can text me. Mine is adjustable from 3* up to 24*. Axle is solid mounted too with 3" up or down adjustability. 573~225~3409

I don't see anywhere that it's illegal in NTPA or PPL. In 2.6 if you have to cut the bed theres a bit of a grey area from what I see:

"The body must be the OEM truck body, including the full
bed floor."

Otherwise it just says it must be frame mounted:

"Hook point must be no closer than 44” of centerline of
rear axle, hitch height maximum of 26”, with a minimum
of a 3.75” X 3.0” opening. Hitch point must be easily
accessed. No “trick” type hitches permitted. Hitch must be
stationary in all directions. Hitch must be frame mounted. Hitch must be mounted centerline of rear axle or behind.
Hitch must not exceed a maximum of 25 degree angle from
pivot point to hook point. No hitch supports or adjusters, if fastened to the rear axle housing shall be above the
center line of the rear axle. Pivot pin of drawbar can be no farther forward than centerline of the rear axle."

That is where I see the hitch like JL not passing tech but I know there were at least 2 very similar that passed tech at Scheid this past year, and neither had big name shops on the side.

I didn't see any length adjustment necessary being as how you typically want hooking point far forward as possible

Not sure why pulling trucks even need a bed floor. With a 44inch centerline some trucks you need to cut the bed floor just so you can get to the hook point.

So its off topic but technically if one has a stack in the bed or did have they don't pass ppl rules cuz they cut a hole out of the floor and the entire bed floor isn't technically there right?

The gutted bed floor rule pertains to weight reduction, a hole for an old stack would not be in violation.

Removing the bed floor is illegal because of weight reduction supposedly. Then explain the reason for making it legal to remove rear brakes and suspension. Because the only reason to remove them is weight reduction and its alot more then what a bed floor weighs.

More angle on the draw bar doesn't mean its going to pull better or have an advantage.
More weight you have up front the flatter the draw bar be.

I don't know if this is true or not but I have had a couple of little boys tell me but it does help to match the hitch angle angle of the hook on the sled what do you all think

Back