Dumb things I see at Drag Races

"Dumb things I see at diesel races"....

Diesel Photographers that DON'T Even drive a Diesel!!!

LOL

Sorry Phil....Had too!!!

:eek:wned: < first time I have used this smiley face.

2 things:

When you see a car coming back from a run, in-tow, GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Pit bikes and carts, SLOW DOWN.....or walk!

Almost everytime i go to a local track the anouncer tells the natives the same things i just posted above.....:doh:

I agree but they also need to slow down. We watched a young girl get taken out one night by a JR dragster.

When I started racing major events (NHRA nationals and divisionals), most people used small scooters or bicycles for pit transportation. I used either a mountain bike or a push scooter. Nowadays everyone and their dog has to have their own golf cart, and I see many driven recklessly by kids that are obviously below the 16-year-old minimum. They used to allow spectators to bring/rent golf carts as well, but I believe they have finally stopped that practice. I have zero desire to get a golf cart for my own operation, I just use a small electric scooter (that I push manually much of the time to save on batteries and get some exercise). I can haul my daughter on it, as well as fuel/water jugs.

I wish more tracks would give some thought to the layout of the pits & return road. My two local tracks have the Jr dragsters pit in a specific spot where they are on the return road for the least amount of time (and one has a special gate in the guardrail for them to turn off sooner). At the track I race most often, we usually have drunken spectators stumbling around in the pit roads, and there is poor lighting in a couple of spots. I need to put a train horn in my race car for those guys ;)

The water box guy that sees you pull up and has a blank stare on his face. You then wonder if your fing radiator is leaking all over the track or something is wrong....... The box is bare to the bone...... So a long stare off begins. He knows in the back of his mind that you have 33" slicks, front runners and a cage and still holds his hose with a purpose. You honk or wave hands and then he snaps out of it and leaves a puddle 4ft X 12ft.

I kind of like the water box idiot who stands right where you are trying to drive around the water box, even if it's the 5th friggin time that day you have done it and still gives you a dirty look.

I kind of like the water box idiot who stands right where you are trying to drive around the water box, even if it's the 5th friggin time that day you have done it and still gives you a dirty look.

What amazes me is that the track allow old men with canes to race LOL

Miss u Ken

That usually happens the first time, but for some reason they always clear away the second time. :hehe:

What amazes me is that the track allow old men with canes to race LOL

Miss u Ken

They usually don't get too excited about it till they see it's white with a red tip. Rumor has it you had to reenforce the back of your truck to support all the extra NOS bottles you are using this year? Trying to keep up with Dmitri huh?:poke:

Photographers that constantly stand a foot off of the track and wonder why they get yelled at, hence slowing down my time on the track

Photographers that constantly stand a foot off of the track and wonder why they get yelled at, hence slowing down my time on the track

I've never seen that happen at a drag race... And I shoot right alongside the track... If I didn't you wouldn't get those amazing shots to drool over in the mags!!! That is our job, now we do have A LOT of ametuer photogs at diesel events that should be sitting in the stands not out on the tracks... but that is a whole different story. If you are a legit PROFESSIONAL photographer you should be wherever you feel that you can safely get the shots you need! I shoot close to the action in all the motorsports activities that I cover!!! Thats my style and I get the shots that count and the ones other photogs wish they got!

I have been asked to move during the Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League nite at Scheid's but it did not slow the action at all!!! At most pulls I shoot from the track and move as the trucks come to me! Nerves of steel I guess!!! But I also "know when to shoot and when to scoot!!!" from years of experience!!! I also always plan an escape route whenever I am shooting and when my son is shooting I make sure that he is in a safe place and that he has an escape route as well!

I also shoot a lot more than just diesel drags and pulls, I shoot desert racing, rock racing and rock crawling. In all of these I am on the course with the race rigs and obviously I don't want to get run over but I need to get the shots so I pick my spots carefully and make sure I am close to the action in a way that I can escape if necessary!

Sorry for the rant:soap: but I take a comment like this personally even if it wasn't aimed at me!

Chris it would be a pleasure for you to stand in front of my truck when I'm racing to get a good shot just let me know when your down in Florida next. Your a professional and I trust you'll get out of the way if needed.

Sounds good! I'll probably be down there for the big $ race this spring!!! But on the drag strip I do still stay behind the baricade...

Chris it would be a pleasure for you to stand in front of my truck when I'm racing to get a good shot just let me know when your down in Florida next. Your a professional and I trust you'll get out of the way if needed.

Not like he wouldnt have enough time to move anywayLOL

Rumor has it you had to reenforce the back of your truck to support all the extra NOS bottles you are using this year? Trying to keep up with Dmitri huh?:poke:

Ken you surely can't be talking about the drag strip.

Leaving your cell phone on the center console, launching and then wondering later on--where in the hell did I leave my cell phone? Oh--there it is, under the back seat. :doh:

Last edited:
HAHA I have had mine ring all the way down the track before. Slim chance that could happen but leave it up to my luck.

Last year at Sacramento a friend called me about the time I went through the traps to tell me I red lit LOL

Last edited:
Back