Dumb things I see at Drag Races

Last year at Sacramento a friend called me about the time I went through the traps to tell me I red lit LOL

Our local track has live internet video and audio feed. I went through a string of 1st or 2nd round red-lights for several weeks last year. My girlfriend would call me while I was still going down the track and say something like "I thought you weren't going to do that any more", or "Now that you're done early we can meet for dinner" (all in good fun).

My daughter comes to many of the races with me, and I carry a 2-way radio to talk to her when I am on the track. She has an uncanny knack for calling my right as I light the pre-stage and asking "Daddy, are you done racing yet?"...

LOL ... and I thought gabbing on the cell during the commute was bad!

LOL ... and I thought gabbing on the cell during the commute was bad!

Yeah, it's pretty funny to pull up to the timeslip booth in a 5 second 1/8-mile car and be on the phone while waiting for the slip. Fortunately they can't enforce the hands-free laws on the race track ;)

One tire fire on a import wildly revving down the track.

Sadly I did have the truck slip out of 4WD once and roast the tires for a solid 200 ft.

In Orlando on Sunday there was an RX-7 that went from 2nd to 5th every single pass. And it wasn't like he was blazing fast on his shifts, either... I didn't hear a single import making decent shifts down there, I guess the Nintendo generation never had to do eye-hand-FOOT coordination ;)

It was a damn quick trip! I flew in Sat, arrived Sat evening (planning to run test & tune but it was cancelled due to the overnight temps in the 20's), raced in a borrowed car on Sunday (it was the rain date for their race from the PRI show weekend), and had a 5:30 am flight home yesterday morning. I thought about looking up some of my FL buddies, but I was busy enough trying to pay attention and learn from the racers I was hanging out with (Chris Adams, Manny Sousa, Troy Williams Jr), all guys who have basically bracket raced for a living and done well at it.

I'll get more time to see all my diesel racing friends when I'm at Bradenton in Feb for the Super-Stock race!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back