Halfton 12 valve mods.

Update. Just got the truck back yesterday from getting convertor tightened. It actually is a tad too tight but I think I can tune most of it out. Lets say on a scale from 1 being loose and 10 being tight it was a 4 now the truck is a 7 or 8.

Bonus! Trans shop had a good eye and saw the bell housing hitting the crossmemeber. They shimmed it out and now the vibration in the truck is next to none. Now I feel I can crank some more timing in it. Gonna give that a shot after this tank.

Filled up truck gonna burn a tank and see where we are at. In the mean time I will start tuning afc to get the truck to cut down on some of the smoke getting up to boost.

Last edited:
Now that is tight........ Truck does not have a tach I would just be guessing. I have not spooled it up from a stop either. Lets put it this way truck would almost instantly go to boost before and locking up the convertor felt like a 50 **** of nitrous lol.

Now that is tight........ Truck does not have a tach I would just be guessing. I have not spooled it up from a stop either. Lets put it this way truck would almost instantly go to boost before and locking up the convertor felt like a 50 **** of nitrous lol.

I wish I had that problem LOL

I guess the best way to explain Mine is it feels like my trans actually has 5th gear. Its like shifting my brothers 5spd 12v too soon except you have no control over it.... :doh:

Yes its getting re-stalled.

I have spent most of Saturday screwing with this new afc housing. The one on the truck was gutted. I understand how to tune it and have done the washer and arm mod so far. At this point I have come to the conclusion that I need a heavier spring. So it is on hold for now.

Now for another issue after convertor was tightened. Truck is shifting way too quick through the gears. With the tv cable adjusted properly the truck drives fine but shifts too quick. I am in 3rd gear at 25mph driving it normally. With the tv lever tie wrapped up at wot it is the exact opposite and carries the gears much much longer out. I would like to end up in the middle somewhere. I can't get there with the tv cable alone. If I adjust cable any tighter the pump will loose rack travel. So I guess at this point the line pressure needs to be turned up? Sound like I am on the right track here?

I have spent most of Saturday screwing with this new afc housing. The one on the truck was gutted. I understand how to tune it and have done the washer and arm mod so far. At this point I have come to the conclusion that I need a heavier spring. So it is on hold for now.

Now for another issue after convertor was tightened. Truck is shifting way too quick through the gears. With the tv cable adjusted properly the truck drives fine but shifts too quick. I am in 3rd gear at 25mph driving it normally. With the tv lever tie wrapped up at wot it is the exact opposite and carries the gears much much longer out. I would like to end up in the middle somewhere. I can't get there with the tv cable alone. If I adjust cable any tighter the pump will loose rack travel. So I guess at this point the line pressure needs to be turned up? Sound like I am on the right track here?

Ive had a similar issue, an over-center style TV lever on the transmission side seems to be the key, so that the lever can max and still provide travel needed at the pump. Ive seen a pic of one

There was a thread that crazy Carl put together on Cummins forum,spring pulling vertically on cable to help with part throttle driving, then full throttle has plenty of room for fuel

Ive had a similar issue, an over-center style TV lever on the transmission side seems to be the key, so that the lever can max and still provide travel needed at the pump. Ive seen a pic of one

Only way I see a lever change working is lever length to make the pull longer or shorter.

There was a thread that crazy Carl put together on Cummins forum,spring pulling vertically on cable to help with part throttle driving, then full throttle has plenty of room for fuel

This makes some good sense! Gonna try this!

Only way I see a lever change working is lever length to make the pull longer or shorter.

This makes some good sense! Gonna try this!

The lever i'm thinking is spring loaded, and has a pivot in the middle of it. I want to say NickTF made one.

did you change the gears yet?

Yes 3:31

The lever i'm thinking is spring loaded, and has a pivot in the middle of it. I want to say NickTF made one.

I would be very curious to see this lever. I could not think up a way to make both throttle and line pressure wide open at full throttle but yet have line pressure come on allot quicker. I am smacking myself for not thinking of the spring.

Thanks!

Lost the pressed on pulley on the water pump, it killed the belt and the E fan. Luckily it was like 2 miles from the house.

This fan has not one single marking on it showing where it came from. I am hoping to just by one fan and not the whole kit. Any idea who makes these fans?

20130623_112316.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome thread, I am gearing up to build one a lot like this. I am going to Dallas Friday to pick up a 2002 1500 single cab 2wd. I want to make it into a little truck for going back and forth to work and take it on trips to the lake, river, coast, ect.

Really nice truck!:rockwoot:

Back