New "race" truck project

Got the clutch in today. ready to hit the streets next week... Off to Garmons to watch some trucks dynoing the mornin, it ought to be fun. Maybe see some of you there.
clutchin.jpg

Well good news and bad news... Good news first of coarse, Garmons was awesome, Great turn out and how can you go wrong with free beer and bbq. Tons of good trucks hitting the dyno but sadly enough mine wasn't one of them. Now the bad news, after blowing the guy up that I ordered my caliper brackets from he finally informed me that the postal service lost my brackets and had no record of them being sent! So the "race" truck will have to wait till another day to dyno. The brackets have been resent and should hopefully be here and installed early next week. Is there another dyno event in the southeast with Dunbars dyno anytime soon?

Bring on the air...

Got to the shop today in a pretty good mood and a pretty open mind. I happend to look over at this pretty looking Cat turbo staring me in the face. The wheels in my brain got to turning.... So my head gasket was still holding in somehow and figured there were plenty ways to push it alittle further. Started a twin set up today. I have some decent fab skills so with most of the parts on hand I decided to go for it. Didnt get started the afternoon but still made some good headway. The 180* from the baby turbo it all welded up, t6 flange made out of 1/4" steel, 90* ready to tie the 2 together. Still got alot to do but at least its underway. The turbo is a 74mm inducer 98mm exducer on the compressor side. The turbine side is a 130A/R with a monster turbine wheel.. Seeing as how it was a takeoff and in fairly good condition with no shaft play and free!!!! why not just try it. Leaving the hot pipe 3", fairly short, and wrapped it should maintain good heat and velocity. Let me know what yall think I should get a chance to make some more progress tomorrow.

Imagination start working... (size comparisson to GDS 60mm turbo)
ideas.jpg

Start to build hot pipe
hotpipe.jpg

Start to t6 flange and turbine wheel
turbine.jpg

Pretty good lookin turbo
frontturbo.jpg

Last edited:
Need some insight on how to make/ get and adapter from the cat compressor outlet to the inlet of the h1c. The outlet of the cat turbo is 4 3/4" the inlet on the h1c is 4in. I suppose I could braze a 4in piece to the cat turbo and be done then just run a silicone 90* to the inlet.. You think there would be an easier way?

Got a little done on the ole truck today. Got the hot pipe completely layed out and welded, got the turbo flange done and welded to the hot pipe, turbo installed and sandblasted the housing looks better natural I think .. now all I need is oil lines, transition pipe between turbos, and possibly fender exit exhaust?! Havent decided on how Im going to do the rest of it but hope yall like what I got so far.

1110101058.jpg

1110101054.jpg

:charger:
1110101435.jpg

Surgoinsville, TN.. Its been quite a project since I got it. I got to start it today and check for leaks and all.. Hopefully I'll get to test drive it tomorrow if I can get the transision tube worked out. It seems like its going to spool fairly well.

Im thinking about doing twins on my '89, cant wait to see yours all finished.
Are you going to have to trim the inner fender, or does the turbo clear it?
And how are you doing your oil return on the second turbo? Ive only heard of adding a hole on the oil pan...
Great project!!
Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
I have my oil lines ying together. I really didnt want to fool with having to pull the freeze plug out of the block or welding a bung into oil pan. I read about another successful system with a y so I figured Id go for it. Im really unsure about the inner fender, I think I am going to have to modify the stock one slightly or make one out of sheet metal.

I say it takes big injectors and nitrous to get that turbo movin at all. Might be lucky to see 10psi out of it as it is now.....good to see someone willing to try though!

With DDP4 injectors I saw 36 psi
6x16's 50+psi
6x16s, two stages of nitrous and 2 wastegates full open 52psi

Yeah I know injectors bad. But hey 10psi is better than no psi... And like I said hopefully I will get to take it for a little test drive tomorrow. JQ I was waiting for your input on all this. Im goin to try and post a little video of it idling from today... With no load I can get the turbo moving alittle bit of air already. Hopefully the nitrous will be a good assistant in getting it to light for now until I get more fuel in it.. I want to dyno it soon, Im anxious to see what my little guy is gonna lay down.

I say it takes big injectors and nitrous to get that turbo movin at all. Might be lucky to see 10psi out of it as it is now.....good to see someone willing to try though!

With DDP4 injectors I saw 36 psi
6x16's 50+psi
6x16s, two stages of nitrous and 2 wastegates full open 52psi

DDP4's 58 psi all day here and my fuel still has a few turns left in it..:shake:

Back