Old School HX35/HT3B vs Modern Compound Setup

Quick update:

Took two clicks out of each side of the governor springs and hauled again. A 1986 Chevy C20. The bucking was worse. It's not related to the weight of what I'm hauling because the it bucked with the trailer empty, which didn't happen with the previous governor spring setting.

Aired down the bags, no change. If I punch it, it pushes through the bucking, but obviously you can't haul like that all the time. So last night I took off both adjustment nuts [start from scratch] and did 3 hard clicks on each side. Since I feel the soft clicks aren't really compressing the springs much I didn't count those. They aren't changing the installed height of the springs. I'm going to haul later and see where I'm am.

These twins are good for towing even with the fuel I put to them. Once I get all the bugs worked out I think this would be a perfect proven DD/tow setup. It's also pretty quick for a cheap setup.

I haven't got to the spring waste gate yet, racing season is coming up and I'm trying to finish up the camaro.

-Dustin-

Last edited:
I still think it could be the limitedslip clutches in the rear end.I have had costumers truck do the same inde excelliration only truck with some power it would do it.
Mine only did it with the trailer.Put a shim in each side and stopped

Dale

I'm due for a diff fluid swap anyways so maybe I'll look into it. It only happens when I tow a trailer, but I can induce it if I bounce the pedal just right with the converter locked.

-Dustin-

Last edited:
put an extra spring on the throttle linkage. im pretty sure that will cure the bucking anyway. I see this happen all the time.

I believe you just need to hook up a throttle return spring from a carb'd setup. Pretty simple. Should be able to get the spring at any auto parts place. I think I've seen pics before but it's been a while.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

My truck started bucking on me one time while towing my 5th wheel home. As soon as the TC locked up it would start bucking so bad I had to let off the throttle and ease back into it real slow. After I got it home I found my transmission mount was bad. Might be worth a look.

I don't really have any specific info, I have a shop pack of mixed springs and I usually just grab one. Any hardware store spring will do, just add it to the throttle linkage return spring to make the pedal a little stiffer.

Is the carrier bearing good and tite no play in the rubber bushing.

Dale

I actually checked that and the bearing is tight but the rubber doesn't seem up to the task. I'm going to try and cobble**** something to tighten it up.

After that I may try the extra spring on the linkage.

-Dustin-

I wedged a peice of rubber between the bracket and bearing.I work just for testing then I replaced it.Good Luck.

Dale

Im having the same wastegate issue man and it kills my truck, with just my old hx35 it would run like a scalded dog, now with drilled through houseing and inlarged hole. Drivepressures push the flap open even with the line unhooked.

very good read. Im building a set of hx35/ht3b twins as we speak. I found my wastegate actuator to be no good and was about to buy another one. I milled the divider down and drilled out the wastegate hole as big as i could get it with the stock flapper. Maybe i will look into the spring type actuator. Thanks! Looking forward to reading more.

When you first spoke of this >>>

I've got some nasty governor spring bounce when I tow. When I'm empty, no bounce, but towing something on the gooseneck it'll bounce. Typically starts when the converter locks in 3rd with low to moderate throttle. Starts barely noticeable and if you don't get into the throttle hard, it will surge/bounce worse until you feel like the truck's going to bust something.

I typed up a reply but I don't see it in your thread! Doh.. Damn newb, guess I didn't submit the reply. I'll re-type it.

I had an extreme case of what you are describing.. However, it was in a 2007 Tacoma V6 with 225,000 miles. You could drive it pedal to the metal and the stutter/bouncing sensation would be very minimal. Driving with light - moderate throttle would produce nothing but the ridiculous bouncing/stuttering type feeling in 3rd and 4th gear mostly. It felt like something was about to break! I narrowed it down to a torque converter issue. In the middle of the bad vibration/bouncing I lightly pressed the brake pedal and it instantly went away. The ECM unlocks the converter when it sees the brake pedal signal.

I unplugged the brake pedal switch and jumped it with a jumper wire. Test drove it and voila! No more vibration/crazy feeling. Replaced the torque converter and haven't had an issue since. If this doesn't help you, I hope it helps someone else!

Love the information in this thread :Cheer:

When you first spoke of this >>>

I typed up a reply but I don't see it in your thread! Doh.. Damn newb, guess I didn't submit the reply. I'll re-type it.

I had an extreme case of what you are describing.. However, it was in a 2007 Tacoma V6 with 225,000 miles. You could drive it pedal to the metal and the stutter/bouncing sensation would be very minimal. Driving with light - moderate throttle would produce nothing but the ridiculous bouncing/stuttering type feeling in 3rd and 4th gear mostly. It felt like something was about to break! I narrowed it down to a torque converter issue. In the middle of the bad vibration/bouncing I lightly pressed the brake pedal and it instantly went away. The ECM unlocks the converter when it sees the brake pedal signal.

I unplugged the brake pedal switch and jumped it with a jumper wire. Test drove it and voila! No more vibration/crazy feeling. Replaced the torque converter and haven't had an issue since. If this doesn't help you, I hope it helps someone else!

Love the information in this thread :Cheer:

I quoted this whole post as I haven't tried this yet. But! I do have an issue with a bad bounce under load with my cummins truck. P-Pumped 24v with the 12v tps. Under light throttle, toolin' around, it drives wonderful. If I used just 3rd gear to drive, it locks up fine. If I let it go to overdrive, it locks up fine. If'n I'm in OD/LU and at a slower speed, then ease in to the go peddle I get a bad shutter. Similar to it trying to unlock. I let out, it's fine and I can ease back in to it. Same as when I go to pass, and you can feel the fuel start to come on, it starts to shutter. If I peddle it lightly to pass, it is fine. I can also peddle through the shake, but it still feels odd. Stock converter and trans. No real power modifications. Truck does the same thing loaded down too. Some days this shutter feeling can feel pretty intense.

How many miles, etc are on this transmission you are running?

I messed with the timing a few weeks back, it had slipped for sure. We got 11 degrees [plunger lift], so we set it to 16.5 degrees [plunger lift]. However it's reading around 9 degrees on the timing light. Still, runs much better, more mid and top end, starts easier.

Today and tomorrow I'm going to tinker with transitioning to the spring waste gate instead of the boost reference diaphragm type.

I will update with results and pictures of how I rigged it up.

-Dustin-

Any results. I am having this issue as well while cruising in final gear. I installed my compounds in late December and that's when it started doing this. The warmer the weather the less is happends.

I'll get some pictures ASAP, although I'm still playing with springs, but going to the spring waste gate brought my truck to life! The drive pressure must have been pushing open the flapper at a relatively low RPM considering how quick I make boost now.

I feel like I can finally properly tune my AFC and pump to get the drivibility and EGT's balanced. I'll be doing some towing soon as part of a before and after intercooler test. I'll post my results.

-Dustin-

very good thread, any new updates? it's been awhile, did you get that lp or cam installed yet? I'm planning a cummins conversion in the near future, and looking into most of the mods being discussed in this thread. I'm no cummins guru, but I would be checking into the tc as described above,^^^ I have a buddy that had the torque converter shudder exactly the way you described it.

Thanks for the great thread,
otis

Back