P-pump Delivery Valves- Upgrades

You should have 181's and yes your plate and lack of GSK is keeping you smoke and egt free.

Just wondering, would i see much going from the 181 delivery valves to 191s, or anyhting like that? I am also thinkinga bout getting hte mack rack plug, cutting my plate to a 100, and getting a 3k GSK kit

Hey guys, I have a 1998 CTD, with an automatic behind it. I am 99% sure it has a 180 pump, I looked awhile back and Im pretty sure thats what it said on it.

What size delivery valves do I have?
What would i benefit going to?
I daily drive my truck, and eventually will have atleast a super phat shaft 62, and currently have FTE diesel 435s.

I am able to clean up the 435s with the stock turbo, and not excede 1250 EGTs at 40lbs of boost out of the stock turbo.

I think this has to do with the profile of my plate, and not having governor springs.

Any other reasons why i clear these 435s up?

A set of 4K governor springs would be my next purchase if I were you. What plate are you currently running? If you want to, you can just pull the plate out all together. Bet you wont clear it up then. If you do then there is something wrong. Have you ever checked your fuel pressure?

I am going to do Governor springs, i bought the truck with the cold air and the plate he said he put in it was a Bully Dog plate i believe, I have yet to pull it out, but i have slid it forward and the truck makes 40lbs at WOT.

I havent checked my fuel pressure yet.

SMokeem- How do you set up the AFC for the 2095 plug and is that the plug that cost like $13?

I have heard alot of people say they get more boost & more smoke from all these different DV's but say they dont perform eny better. Usually with 1/4 mile times. Maybe it's more fuel but too late in the cycle to do any good.

I just dont understand why my truck doesnt smoke that much, i put 435s in it and somehow the smoke clears. I also have a 100 plate

Have you watched fuel pressure under a load?
Edit: Sorry i now see that you have not checked fuel pressure. Start there. Watch it under a load..

How do i check my fuel pressure?

My guess is, that the truck is defueling because of the stock governor springs....

I guess the nice thing is, the truck runs great, and isnt overfueled yet. Hasnt seen temps hotter than like 1350 and that was just for a second.

Roy- Did you end up going to HTS this past weekend?

No, torque converter got delayed in the ice. Plus I was out of town. This coming weekend.

I switched to .024 DV's from full cuts. The truck smoked less at idle but would stall when in drive. With the full cuts it would idle at 900 in park and drop down to 750 when in gear. With the .024's it would idle at 900 in park and stall when in gear...wtf?? I put the full cuts back in.

What about backing off your gov springs 1 click and resetting idle?

I'll try it Ron, still a lot to learn about this new pump. This big pump still flows too much fuel at idle, maybe just the nature of the beast.

I'll try it Ron, still a lot to learn about this new pump. This big pump still flows too much fuel at idle, maybe just the nature of the beast.

Wouldn't a full cut flow more fuel then a dv with shoulder material? Only talking about from a flow standpoint not talking about all the other things and problems associated with a full cut dv. The reason I bring this up is wouldn't that directly effect the idle since diesels are regulated by fuel, not air like a gas motor? I went from modified 191s to stock 181s and noticed my idle drop a bit. i don't think going from a 191 to a 181 is as dramatic as going from a full cut to a .024" in reduction of fuel at idle but could be wrong.

I'd just bump the idle up. In my experience backing clicks off in the governor assembly results in even lower idle.

Thanks for the input Nick, like stated above, I'm just learning how to tune this pump, and welcome any info.

so I have learned ALOT from reading this thread but am still unclear on a couple of things.

Do the 131 DVs with the 181 plungers make good HP and driveability?

How much HP and when should we be upgrading the DVs?

If people can get up to over 600 HP on 181's, then why do people with less than 600 HP do it?

Thanks for the help. Love this site!

so I have learned ALOT from reading this thread but am still unclear on a couple of things.

Do the 131 DVs with the 181 plungers make good HP and driveability?

How much HP and when should we be upgrading the DVs?

If people can get up to over 600 HP on 181's, then why do people with less than 600 HP do it?

Thanks for the help. Love this site!

There's just so many ways to set up a pump for those trying to figure it all out it's worth turning about 30% of your head gray lol.

I think those netting over 600hp with 181s/131s may be twisting the barrels in the pump, some can do it with the pump on the truck apparently. Not sure it's advised in a 215 pump but maybe some are doing it not really sure.

Good luck, I'd love to hear a DETAILED answer to delivery valve sub 600hp question!!!

now you did it. Twisting the barrels in the pump? This is actually the first time I have heard of this. I guess by twisting the barrels it will give me more fuel. Do people do this instead of getting bigger DVs? What are the pros and cons or can you point me to another thread where it talks about turning the barrels.
thanks
tyler

Back