P-pump Delivery Valves- Upgrades

now you did it. Twisting the barrels in the pump? This is actually the first time I have heard of this. I guess by twisting the barrels it will give me more fuel. Do people do this instead of getting bigger DVs? What are the pros and cons or can you point me to another thread where it talks about turning the barrels.
thanks
tyler

There's not much about turning the barrels on this site I don't believe but honestly given my use of the 215 pump and what some have said about turning the barrels without a bench to verify equal flow across all six I haven't looked into it too much. If you have a non-215 pump I think you'll benefit far more from what my limited research has gathered.

I don't think those that do it on the truck will tell you on a thread how it's done.

Any takers on changing the secrecy of on the truck barrel turning:p?

I've been contemplating also this DV hassle.

My truck is a modest daily driver as follows:
1995 4x4 2500 auto, reg cab. #8 plate, tuned AFC (no modifications yet but maybe shaving off the angle from the rack lip), selfmade governor mods (=shims, pretty much equals 3gsk), improved air, more boost (35psi), stock turbo, stock injectors, more fuel(no excess smoke anytime, just a haze), timing advanced to 14,5deg, exhaust mods(freeflow 3"). Trans mods, orig. VB and conv.), 3.54:1s, bigger ATs.

Now, I would quesstimate that my truck is at 250-280hp/1000nm zone and it performs absolutely flawlessly in any condition. Therefore I'm a bit reluctant to start tuning it again.
BUT I was offered a set of 181s and since I have the stock ones (131s I assume?) in the pump then how beneficial do you guys see for me to put them in? Or make the 181/131 combination discussed earlier?

My current understanding is that they would give me something like 30-40hp more and more torque down. They're not expensive and I can fully well put them in myself but the question is that will this be a reasonable mod for a daily driver? Does it make sense? Or is it a stupid mod for my combination? What kinda other mods should I consider?

I do NOT want to change the turbo or buy a bigbuck trans or other things and I would prefer not to gut the AFC.

Last edited:
My cousin (Cummins Driver) went from the stock 131 delivery valves in his 160hp pumped 94, to a set of 181 delivery valves and gained a solid 5/10ths in the 1/4 mile.

Half a second on the 1/4? That's pretty good.

Did he characterize the differences in detail to you? Like what things changed exactly?

I have went from 131's to 181's, to 191's in my 160 pump'd 94 automatic in my sig. The 181's gained me a 1/2 second through the 1/4. A Definite kick. EGT's also werent any worse at all. I just went to 191's, and I havent been to the strip, but it feels like it gained more power than the 181's geained me over the 191's. EGT's arent too hard to peg at 1500* now though. I have a steady haze at WOT where with the 181's it pretty much completely cleared up. 191's definately pull harder all the way though. Boost is about 6psi higher at 40psi. I am pretty happy with the combo. I didnt want laser cuts because of smoke, and EGT's.

Eric

Half a second on the 1/4? That's pretty good.

Did he characterize the differences in detail to you? Like what things changed exactly?

That is his post from earlier in this thread. The only thing that was changed was the delivery valves. He used his same holders and everything, no adjustments to anything, except for the delivery valves.

I read this thread completely yesterday and read that comment also. Ok.

So the DVs might be good for my truck also. But I'm still quessin' here whether they would actually be a good buy since the mileage will hurt most obviously. Some additional power is naturally always a good thing but I don't race and tow anything heavy. Just light duty and daily commuting.

Maybe they would be a good buy even still. Dunno.

Teddy,
by saying "The only thing that was changed was the delivery valves. He used his same holders and everything" do you mean that he used 131 holders and 181 deliveries? Or complete 181s (=DVs and holders)?

How about the Mack plug then as a side note? I don't have one but will not pull the pump off for now. Can that be installed with the pump on?

Sorry for the mlutiple Qs and posts.

How about the Mack plug then as a side note? I don't have one but will not pull the pump off for now. Can that be installed with the pump on?

Sorry for the mlutiple Qs and posts.

Yeah if you mod the inside of the AFC, and yes you can install them with the pump on, you just need to grind some of the cover back to get the new on in.

And that would be a pretty good inprovment on your truck.

Where exactly in the pump is this plug located? Somewhere inside the AFC? Or?

It's right in the front of the pump. If you look down and back into the cover you can see the round indentation in the front cover. You can take your die grinder and grind back flush with that recessed round part. That will give you enough room to swap them out.

Last edited:
If you look in the tech section I posted some pictures where I ground my timing case to swap this plug. Should give you most of what you need. Good luck and don't be too scared, the timing case is quite thick! DISCLAIMER: DON'T GET WILLY NILLY AND WONDER WHY YOU HAVE A HOLE IN THE CASE LOL. :p

This has been a good read..... you Guys rock!

A thought here.... or a question really. I would seem to me that the differences in DV's would also have a little effect on the start of delivery timing?

To take the extreme for example... 131's would have to lift past the retraction piston which is about .010" before substantial fuel flows, where as the full cut DV flows fuel as soon as the cone lifts off the seat.

So wouldn't that have an effect on the start of injection timing and/or effectively change the static timing????

:what:

After reading back on some older post.... I realize just how much is still to be learned! And to think I knew a little somethin... not.

So for a better idea....

I decided to get some 181's to fire this new motor up on when I get her finished... in fact the cut DV's may never go in.

:bang

Teddy,
by saying "The only thing that was changed was the delivery valves. He used his same holders and everything" do you mean that he used 131 holders and 181 deliveries? Or complete 181s (=DVs and holders)?

Yep. Stock 131 holders and 181 delivery valves.

Are we talking about holders or seats?
The 181 valve itself has a slightly larger shoulder than a 131, implying less flow. All holders are the same as far as I know. The seats are different though

According to Smokem the set-up should be 181 holders and 131 dvs.

In my previos post I said this the other way around accidentally. Meant this way.

How much gains do you gentlemen see coming out of the Mack plug when AFC is adjusted accordingly? Smokem did it. Can you tell?

Back