Project Leftovers: The Rise of Frankenstein

Vps are not and will never be in the same category as the other trucks competing. End of story. You're taking this as I'm bashing them because I don't like them. I love vp's, to a great extent. They just aren't on the same page or even the same book as far as performance as their competition.

I'd say they can be competitive against 6.0's and 7.3's just fine. I don't know of any 1000+HP fuel only 6.0 or 7.3

Vps are not and will never be in the same category as the other trucks competing. End of story. You're taking this as I'm bashing them because I don't like them. I love vp's, to a great extent. They just aren't on the same page or even the same book as far as performance as their competition.

Thats not what im saying at all, and I know you love your vp's. And I know a vp truck is nowhere near what the others can do and cant touch them. All I was trying to say is, if it was done one of each then everybody that likes each one would have there kinda truck to root for so to say. But yes I know a vp has no chance against a ppump or a commonrail, just stating one way they could do it to make it so all types got in is all.

Ok back on topic... Looks like Todd did some launch testing at the track. Any numbers?

Can't tell if this is old or recent [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpgOSfOfb6E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpgOSfOfb6E[/ame]

On edit obviously this is old.... No hood stacks.

Last edited:
hey man i just looked at this and was wondering about the vband clamps..they look stainless..im sure they can be since you welded them to the intercooler

Ok back on topic... Looks like Todd did some launch testing at the track. Any numbers?

Can't tell if this is old or recent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpgOSfOfb6E

On edit obviously this is old.... No hood stacks.

that vid is of my SS truck, it is a different truck than frankenstein. It is a 99 short bed gasser converted to a diesel. It is a dedicated race vehicle, totally gutted and currently without an engine, will have a new build thread on that hopefully this year.

i disagree completely with this statement but to each their own. :Cheer:

A strong VP could be a mid pack finisher consistently with less chance of breakage, some years mid pack finishes and no breakage have been enough to win

that vid is of my SS truck, it is a different truck than frankenstein. It is a 99 short bed gasser converted to a diesel. It is a dedicated race vehicle, totally gutted and currently without an engine, will have a new build thread on that hopefully this year.

Planning on keeping Frankenstein together to try for next year's challenge?

Well I have been a bit bummed this past week needless to say. Looking back I think all the down time while rebuilding really hurt us as we werent able to constantly put out new stuff to draw in the non competitor crowd.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about this build and for all votes cast in my favor. I really wanted to have a strong showing for the 12V crowd but as we know that won't be happening.

I do admit I am surprised/saddened by the dodges that did get in with the exception of Rick Fox. I was really shocked by the amount of what I consider heavy hitters on the dodge ballots. I mean there were multiple triple turbo trucks and none of us made it in.

I thought for sure John Shirado was a shoe in! His pic on the ballot was awesome, but maybe thats just the power geek in me who can really understand what that truck is. performance is beauty to me and i thought the trucks like Johns, Derek Rose, Cody Hale , Rick Fox, Ryan Ackers and of course mine were just awesome. Don't even get me started on Lavons motor build, that thing is art.

I of course have a love for mechanical injection and was really assuming John would get in and hoping I would as well. I was very excited to line up against that beast. I wanted to do DPC for the experience of doing it, but really the only thing I cared about was the dyno and the drag race. I was excited/nervous about the sled pull because of my lack of experience in that event. I really don't care about the other events in DPC.

So all that being said here are my immediate plans for Frankenstein. I am planning on hitting the Industrial Injection Dyno event on may 2nd. I will be racing in saint george on may 16 hoping to put the hurt on some bullet bike riding squids, and I am going to hit the nhrda event in denver at the end of may.

I hope John will be in denver as I think it would be fun to run against him. It would be really fun if some of the heavy hitters that didn't make the dpc would still come out west to denver to the nhrda event and we could all put down times a full second faster than what most of the trucks that actually made it in will do! My truck is a 10.90 nhrda truck but I would multi class and run SS as well so we could all line up for some heads up fun!

Planning on keeping Frankenstein together to try for next year's challenge?

I plan on keeping it together, I don't know if I will enter it again or not. With neither myself nor John getting in I don't think that a mechanical truck really has a shot at getting in the competition any longer. (hopefully that is proven wrong someday) If John did get in I might try next year, but his photo was awesome, he has a good following of his truck, his truck is awesome and he still didn't get in! I think a better photo would have helped my cause but if he didn't make it maybe the older trucks just don't appeal to the DPC readers.

F

THAT

Spend the whole year now showing Diesel Power and it's readers why you shouldn't have been overlooked! That's what I say.

My opinion its not about your cover picture or mostly flat billers voting for RBP roll models they are to lazy for that. It's all about Diesel power paid for $$$ ballots. Most folks will not take the time to fill them out to send them in the U.S. mail. Early years of this challenge not so much. Now days if you really want to compete you need to buy 5,000 plus mags from DPC and send them in this year and the following etc etc. I think in the near future there will be a new form of tough owner built diesel challenge brought out by an independent shop that will have a much larger playing field with better public advertisement and make it a show on TV like Pinks all out etc. This little competition cost the competitor a fat stack of cheddar to compete. What does DPC actually pay out for all your efforts hell I don't know? If your a shop you get some advertisement which is big but if your the average joe you get a trophy and a empty bank account.

Things I do know are Lavon and Rick are going to stomp the chit out of all the ballot competitors based on experience and their equipment.

that vid is of my SS truck, it is a different truck than frankenstein. It is a 99 short bed gasser converted to a diesel. It is a dedicated race vehicle, totally gutted and currentlyap without an engine, will have a new build thread on that hopefully this year.

Nice i like following your build, I'm disappointed you didn't make it, I voted john, you and Derek rose. Readers these days are all about flashy lights, lifts, big wheels, and smoke...

A 687hp 6.4 ford won in 2013. I'm sorry I don't own a big bad 500hp lly duramax (a real diesel engine) :cheer:

Oh a brand war! I love those! Let's go with..... You only wish a 6.0 could make 500hp without puking a headgasket. Because LLY's never do that! EVER!

Back