Project Leftovers: The Rise of Frankenstein

Update: Making Serious Power!!!

Yesterday during an average testing/tuning session, Frankenstein rolling along with lockup engaged, 3rd gear, in 4x4 with sticky street tires (Nitto 420's), Todd rolled into the throttle hard at 2500 rpm, it was pulling really hard till about 4,000 engine rpm when BOOM, RPM skyrocketed and truck coasted to a stop, motor still running normally but no power making it to the tires.

Todd pulled up the Data Log of that run and this is what we found:
BrokenInput%201_zps0g5hxmds.jpg

That's right 6229 max RPM according to the log

Now this wasn't a shift spike shock load, torque converter lock-up shock load, nor wheel hop/road bump shock load, this was simply this monstrous triple turbo motor coming to full power around 4k rpm and breaking the Opie Billet Fat Input Shaft. In fact, this shaft hasn't had any full power drag strip passes with the new triple turbo setup, it's had a few moderate low 12 to mid-11 second passes with the old twin setup but has not been abused nor neglected like a regular race truck.

BrokenInput%205_zpsiqbzandn.jpg

BrokenInput%202_zps37affldn.jpg

BrokenInput%204_zpsssxlmini.jpg

BrokenInput%203_zpspmkufzsc.jpg

Standard billet input shafts are roughly 1.00" diameter at the feed passage holes, this one measures roughly 1.170" diameter at the break. Luckily, Todd has a spare billet fat input shaft so we will make it to the Industrial Injection Dyno event this weekend.

Last edited:
I bet that was an oh chit moment when you guys didn't know what broke!

Yeah, always sucks. this is not the first input I have broken, it is the first fat shaft I have broken. kind of a sick feeling really. I hate being stranded on the side of the road.

Last edited:
How are you going to fix the shaft breaking issue? Aermet? Just curious, big fan of this build

as of now we are putting in another opie fat shaft because we have one and the dyno is saturday. Long run is uncertain at this point. In the race truck we are going to try something different. we have a good idea what we are going to try but it is still in testing and not yet released. i am stealing the shaft from the racetruck for Frankenstein. and thank you for the props on this build!

I heard 1379hp from bookface, congrats!!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbMcynq--o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbMcynq--o[/ame]

Last edited:
What radiator was in this truck and where did you get it ? I need something just a little smaller than stock

Back