Project Leftovers: The Rise of Frankenstein

Well I have been a bit bummed this past week needless to say. Looking back I think all the down time while rebuilding really hurt us as we werent able to constantly put out new stuff to draw in the non competitor crowd.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about this build and for all votes cast in my favor. I really wanted to have a strong showing for the 12V crowd but as we know that won't be happening.

I do admit I am surprised/saddened by the dodges that did get in with the exception of Rick Fox. I was really shocked by the amount of what I consider heavy hitters on the dodge ballots. I mean there were multiple triple turbo trucks and none of us made it in.

I thought for sure John Shirado was a shoe in! His pic on the ballot was awesome, but maybe thats just the power geek in me who can really understand what that truck is. performance is beauty to me and i thought the trucks like Johns, Derek Rose, Cody Hale , Rick Fox, Ryan Ackers and of course mine were just awesome. Don't even get me started on Lavons motor build, that thing is art.

I of course have a love for mechanical injection and was really assuming John would get in and hoping I would as well. I was very excited to line up against that beast. I wanted to do DPC for the experience of doing it, but really the only thing I cared about was the dyno and the drag race. I was excited/nervous about the sled pull because of my lack of experience in that event. I really don't care about the other events in DPC.

So all that being said here are my immediate plans for Frankenstein. I am planning on hitting the Industrial Injection Dyno event on may 2nd. I will be racing in saint george on may 16 hoping to put the hurt on some bullet bike riding squids, and I am going to hit the nhrda event in denver at the end of may.

I hope John will be in denver as I think it would be fun to run against him. It would be really fun if some of the heavy hitters that didn't make the dpc would still come out west to denver to the nhrda event and we could all put down times a full second faster than what most of the trucks that actually made it in will do! My truck is a 10.90 nhrda truck but I would multi class and run SS as well so we could all line up for some heads up fun!

99% of diesel power readers are brand loyal. They want to see their brand win. With that being said, they have 3 votes toward the brand they want to win and 6 votes they can use to choose the competition. The only thing you could have done to increase your chance of getting in would be some 24x14 rimz and a ve injection pump.

Try to find out where you stand if another contestant backs out. That seems to happen more often than not.

F

THAT

Spend the whole year now showing Diesel Power and it's readers why you shouldn't have been overlooked! That's what I say.

while I appreciate the sentiment I must ask, show who? There are already proven trucks that didn't make it in. I will go back to the example of John. His truck has dynoed 1300+ hp and has gone over 140 mph at the track. that is big power and it is known. If it didn't help him I am not sure how my fate would be any different next year. I will spend the whole year playing with this truck for sure, I just don't see how it can turn into votes.

My opinion its not about your cover picture or mostly flat billers voting for RBP roll models they are to lazy for that. It's all about Diesel power paid for $$$ ballots. Most folks will not take the time to fill them out to send them in the U.S. mail. Early years of this challenge not so much. Now days if you really want to compete you need to buy 5,000 plus mags from DPC and send them in this year and the following etc etc. I think in the near future there will be a new form of tough owner built diesel challenge brought out by an independent shop that will have a much larger playing field with better public advertisement and make it a show on TV like Pinks all out etc. This little competition cost the competitor a fat stack of cheddar to compete. What does DPC actually pay out for all your efforts hell I don't know? If your a shop you get some advertisement which is big but if your the average joe you get a trophy and a empty bank account.

Things I do know are Lavon and Rick are going to stomp the chit out of all the ballot competitors based on experience and their equipment.

If it takes 5000 mags thats $35k. If you meant $5k on mags then that seems possible that some would spend that to get in. If anyone spent $35k to get in... wow!

99% of diesel power readers are brand loyal. They want to see their brand win. With that being said, they have 3 votes toward the brand they want to win and 6 votes they can use to choose the competition. The only thing you could have done to increase your chance of getting in would be some 24x14 rimz and a ve injection pump.

Try to find out where you stand if another contestant backs out. That seems to happen more often than not.

I have thought the same thing. If i do enter next year I am going to try to look like a moron. I am going to list my mods as a ve powered truck with a hx35 over ht3b and propane injection. Then i am going to claim 1500hp and let every competitor vote me in!

Sucks balls this one didn't get in, got a soft spot for the owner built trucks. There was a hell of a selection of Dodge's that didn't get in.

I agree. Todd do you work for or own smith diesel performance? I just remember seeing the sticker.

I agree. Todd do you work for or own smith diesel performance? I just remember seeing the sticker.

Neither, I am a good friend and customer of theirs. They have helped me immensely over the years.

Thanks for the compliments Todd. Your truck is bad a$$ man. I voted for you. I'm definitely surprised with the way the voting turned out as well. I expected Cory, Rick, and Jerry to get in. Steve Trojano's truck is wild too so no real surprise there either but the rest surprised me.

I'm not sure if the people buying tons of magazines voted the 6 liters in or if the 6 liter loyalists voted them in attempt to make up for years of ridicule LOL in any case I hope all the competitors do well. I'm not sure if I'll enter again next year but we'll see.

I'll definitely be at the race in Denver. You should come by the trailer if you make it out. It'll be a good time.

Neither, I am a good friend and customer of theirs. They have helped me immensely over the years.

Ah I see. Ive wondered about who was good to work with down here cause I need some stuff done. That helps alot thanks.

As a 12v guy (and even a VE dude) I have to say sorry you didn't get in. I liked it better when the staffers picked em.

As a 12v guy (and even a VE dude) I have to say sorry you didn't get in. I liked it better when the staffers picked em.
But who are the "staffers" now? It seems like all of the good guys don't work there anymore.

Thanks for the compliments Todd. Your truck is bad a$$ man. I voted for you. I'm definitely surprised with the way the voting turned out as well. I expected Cory, Rick, and Jerry to get in. Steve Trojano's truck is wild too so no real surprise there either but the rest surprised me.

I'm not sure if the people buying tons of magazines voted the 6 liters in or if the 6 liter loyalists voted them in attempt to make up for years of ridicule LOL in any case I hope all the competitors do well. I'm not sure if I'll enter again next year but we'll see.

I'll definitely be at the race in Denver. You should come by the trailer if you make it out. It'll be a good time.

As long as I don't break it between now and then I will be coming. It will be nice to meet you and see that truck in person!

I too like the idea of gearhead staffers picking the competitors. I wonder if current staffers would be interested in trucks like ours?

X3 man. I followed you & little 6's updates & builds religiously. Really thought you 2 were a shoe in & was sure pullin for you guys. DP mag subscription...it gone.

But who are the "staffers" now? It seems like all of the good guys don't work there anymore.

Based on what they post on the social media interwebz they may be a little green to the diesel world. That is just a guess. Seems their wording in the magazine is a little unorthodox to what most of us are used to as well.

Update: Project Complete!!!

Despite not being selected for DPC 2015, this build project has been completed. Some minor work was required to install dual hood stacks for the triple turbo exhaust system. The factory grille, bumper, etc. still fit in the factory stock locations.

Frankenstein%20Complete%202_zpsbolxcbd9.jpg

Frankenstein%20Complete%205_zpsytg8ya68.jpg

No high HP street truck is complete without a set of sticky street tires:
Frankenstein%20Complete%201_zps7nutk8fx.jpg

Changing the oil filter requires a little bit of dis-assembly but the HP tradeoff with this aggressive triple turbo setup is well worth the minor inconveniences. Don't take this truck to the jiffy lube and ask them to service it.....
Frankenstein%20Complete%203_zpsdmwq6au5.jpg

Frankenstein%20Complete%204_zpsiucsesef.jpg

And here's a short burnout video with the dual hood stacks installed but before the front bumper and grille were installed:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1719FsnWbQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1719FsnWbQ[/ame]

Back