Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

COMP461

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Ok here we go , sometimes history has a way of coming back full circle .

My racing career began many years ago, at Auto Shop Engines in Wichita Falls Texas. I started by being one of the guys, that if lucky , got to fetch Sonic , during all day dyno flogs. I eventually progressed to clean parts , although that is a much harder job to do correctly on a $50 ,000 competition eliminator engine then most people will ever know.

I did what I had to do to be involved , no mater how dirty the job, and it paid off.

As time progressed I moved up the food chain , and over 25 years became intimately involved in engine development programs, ranging from Pro Stock Truck and Competition Eliminator to 8000 hp Top fuel development on Eddie Hills Pennzoil championship team .

I eventually found myself in the drivers seat , and after several successfully years of campaigning a competition Eliminator team , moved over to diesels as my the focus of my racing career.
I had my chance to chase a dream of being a driver for a high Profile team , and will always have a place in my heart for Gale and the path he blazed , but I keep looking back in fond remembrance to the beginnings of my involvement in the sport of Drag Racing . .

It seems that that the wind that drove me, in my rise to this point was just not on my face anymore . The dreams , that I envisioned while ridding in the back seat of the old one ton on the way to the races so many years ago , while mostly accomplished , didn’t hold a candle to the fun that I had back then .

Today with many programs of my own , I have finally reunited with my racing family .

While my friends and teammates of these years of racing , at first laughed at my quest to build diesel programs , they no longer laugh . The list of Gas Racers that are now players in diesel motor sports is getting longer .
Greg Young at ZZ custom fabrication , is now covered up with diesel work, but it took a lot of pleading to get him to even look at a Cummins head. Charlie Stewart , walked by the little Dakota in the back of RayMac’s shop and made fun of me, for the thought of racing a diesel. He finally went to the races with me reliantly, when I got Doc to pay him to tow me to the track in his new trailer .

I expect great thing out of this new program, I showed them the benefits of building diesel power plants , and now there are 5 diesel engine development programs going together as we speak. A lot of the innovations of the past in Top fuel came out of this shop, This is where I learned Camshaft development . this is where I learned my craft of the sport of Drag Racing ,

To my old freinds

Al Weiss and partner Tommy Ketter of Auto Shop Racing engines , Stan and Matthew Thomas of S&T water jet and steel , Greg Young of ZZ custom fabrications, Mike Wood of Nitrous Express , and Randy McMahon of RPM performance data loggers

I'm home again

ok
I have a new project , a 1968 RS Z28 Camaro with a twin turbo charged Chevy Duramax engine this page will take the project from last weeks conception , to Hot Rods Magazines Drag Week in 98 days . We plan to run in the modified class which will require a high 8 second average to beat out the 4 time winner “Doc” Fox and his 67 big block Corvette .
We are confident that this project will be a total success .
I want to thank the vendors that have already pledged support to make this another successfully venture

Auto Shop Racing Engines

Tyler Cothran for the pristine Pro Street Camaro

Industrial Injection service , their single dragonfire pump and twin phat shaft turbo’s along with their new Bosch injectors tips that are a critical key to this projects success .

Snow Boost Coolers , without any form of intercooler, this project will rely totally on Mat Snow's and his inovative MPG Max system for street driven intake air temperature control . this system has proven that its computer controled system will do the job.

Dr Performance and there new stand alone D Max computer , this is a total standalone computer system , based on the GM ECM , with wiring harness in the box,. At a little over $2000 for the complete system , including tuning , this will revolutionize the aftermarket with respect to installing Dmax engines in any aftermarket application from street rods to boats .

Gear Vendors overdrive systems

HOT ROD DRAG WEEK V RULES POSTED!
The coolest, most intense test of the fastest real street machines in the country is back for the fifth go 'round, and the rules are posted here. In a nutshell, they are exactly the same as last year; only the dates and venues have been changed. So check 'em out, figure out what class your car fits into, and tell the boss you're taking vacation days in mid-September because Drag Week is an event you really don't want to miss out on.
And for you Drag Week regulars, the schedule is out early enough that you have no excuse for waiting until the last minute to get your stuff running.

All You Need to Know to Be There for Hot Rod's 2009 Drag Week

Sunday, Sept. 13, 2009 - Test 'n Tune - Muncie Dragway, Albany, IN
Monday, Sept. 14, 2009 - Day 1 - Muncie Dragway, Albany, IN
Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2009 - Day 2 - US 131 Motorsports Park, Martin, MI
Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2009 - Day 3 - Summit Motorsports Park, Norwalk, OH
Thursday, Sept. 17, 2009 - Day 4 - National Trail Raceway, Hebron, OH
Friday, Sept. 18, 2009 - Finals - Muncie Dragway, Albany, IN

Countdown to Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

Last edited:
DSCN1135.jpg

DSCN1136.jpg

DSCN1137.jpg

HEAD WORK

This Tommy " Top Fuel Tommy " Ketter ,

Tommy is also the Shoe and engine builder on his ADRL Pro Mod Team, Which will be recieving one of these Dmax engines for his new McAmas 69 Camaro for the upcoming ADRL Pro Extreem diesel Series

P1030868.jpg

P1030871.jpg

P1030872.jpg

P1030873.jpg

P1030874.jpg

for those that want ot know what this is ,, this is the way to quite droping valves seats

P1030921.jpg

P1030986.jpg

P1040003.jpg

P1040007.jpg

Looks like a very cool project...... very glad to see a Dmax in some classic GM iron :D

Keep us updated with pics/vids !!!!!!

Just wondering..... what going to happen to the Dmax rail????

we are going to be limited to a 11.25 tire , or any size street drag radial ,
I'm looking at custom Rally wheels to make it look more like a street rod , then a race car. This is a full steel car , including the hood. The back half and 4 link is the only part that takes it out of the street category at Drag Week

I can’t wait to get pictures of the new ZZ billet intake that will work with a stock pump location is coming along really fine , it will be on both the NX Mustang , and the Z28D ..

Power is the easy part , on a Dmax , the focus is to make 1000 hp efficiently as possible, to make this power with low boost numbers and low residual heat . This will allow the engine to make great transplants in Muscles cars and truck.
Imagine a 500 hp transplant in a daily driven 57 Chevy , or 57 convertible Cadillac . Or a 65 step side Chevy truck .

I’m waiting on the new pistons to show up for the dragster , that to go along with my GRP aluminum rods

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Project X has been in almost 40 magazine articles... how long's it been running now? 3+ yrs?

Greg, is that dude machining copper beryllium without a dust mask? :confused:

I know , those 2 sticks of copper beryllium cost almost a grand , and they are different alloys for the intake and exhaust . After all of the Nitro that Tommy breathed in during his many years on Ed’s team , its probably irrelevant .
I thought it was wild to see him heat the head , and cryofreeze the seats to get a really tight crush .

Tommy and Al do a lot of head repair , Tommy told me of some of the tricks , they had to do on the top fuel heads, to make the seats stay in . He showed me of seat that Al had made for the top fuel program. These seats had small holes in it just inside the valve seat , this was to spray high pressure fuel out on the intake valve .

This thread first post here just screams "make fun of comp"

Ok here we go , sometimes history has a way of coming back full circle .

My racing career began many years ago, at Auto Shop Engines in Wichita Falls Texas. I started by being one of the guys, that if lucky , got to fetch Sonic , during all day dyno flogs. I eventually progressed to clean parts , although that is a much harder job to do correctly on a $50 ,000 competition eliminator engine then most people will ever know.

I did what I had to do to be involved , no mater how dirty the job, and it paid off.

As time progressed I moved up the food chain , and over 25 years became intimately involved in engine development programs, ranging from Pro Stock Truck and Competition Eliminator to 8000 hp Top fuel development on Eddie Hills Pennzoil championship team .

I eventually found myself in the drivers seat , and after several successfully years of campaigning a competition Eliminator team , moved over to diesels as my the focus of my racing career.
I had my chance to chase a dream of being a driver for a high Profile team , and will always have a place in my heart for Gale and the path he blazed , but I keep looking back in fond remembrance to the beginnings of my involvement in the sport of Drag Racing . .

It seems that that the wind that drove me, in my rise to this point was just not on my face anymore . The dreams , that I envisioned while ridding in the back seat of the old one ton on the way to the races so many years ago , while mostly accomplished , didn’t hold a candle to the fun that I had back then .

Today with many programs of my own , I have finally reunited with my racing family .

While my friends and teammates of these years of racing , at first laughed at my quest to build diesel programs , they no longer laugh . The list of Gas Racers that are now players in diesel motor sports is getting longer .
Greg Young at ZZ custom fabrication , is now covered up with diesel work, but it took a lot of pleading to get him to even look at a Cummins head. Charlie Stewart , walked by the little Dakota in the back of RayMac’s shop and made fun of me, for the thought of racing a diesel. He finally went to the races with me reliantly, when I got Doc to pay him to tow me to the track in his new trailer .

I expect great thing out of this new program, I showed them the benefits of building diesel power plants , and now there are 5 diesel engine development programs going together as we speak. A lot of the innovations of the past in Top fuel came out of this shop, This is where I learned Camshaft development . this is where I learned my craft of the sport of Drag Racing ,

To my old freinds

Al Weiss and partner Tommy Ketter of Auto Shop Racing engines , Stan and Matthew Thomas of S&T water jet and steel , Greg Young of ZZ custom fabrications, Mike Wood of Nitrous Express , and Randy McMahon of RPM performance data loggers

I'm home again

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME! I'M OLD! DID YOU FOR GOT WHAT DID AND HOW I GOT WHERE I AM BECAUSE I DID AND I WILL AND LOOK AT ME I DID THIS AND THAT! YAAAY COMP!

ok
I have a new project , a 1968 RS Z28 Camaro with a twin turbo charged Chevy Duramax engine this page will take the project from last weeks conception , to Hot Rods Magazines Drag Week in 98 days . We plan to run in the modified class which will require a high 8 second average to beat out the 4 time winner “Doc” Fox and his 67 big block Corvette .
We are confident that this project will be a total success .
I want to thank the vendors that have already pledged support to make this another successfully venture

Auto Shop Racing Engines

Tyler Cothran for the pristine Pro Street Camaro

Industrial Injection service , their single dragonfire pump and twin phat shaft turbo’s along with their new Bosch injectors tips that are a critical key to this projects success .

Snow Boost Coolers , without any form of intercooler, this project will rely totally on Mat Snow's and his inovative MPG Max system for street driven intake air temperature control . this system has proven that its computer controled system will do the job.

Dr Performance and there new stand alone D Max computer , this is a total standalone computer system , based on the GM ECM , with wiring harness in the box,. At a little over $2000 for the complete system , including tuning , this will revolutionize the aftermarket with respect to installing Dmax engines in any aftermarket application from street rods to boats .

Gear Vendors overdrive systems

HOT ROD DRAG WEEK V RULES POSTED!
The coolest, most intense test of the fastest real street machines in the country is back for the fifth go 'round, and the rules are posted here. In a nutshell, they are exactly the same as last year; only the dates and venues have been changed. So check 'em out, figure out what class your car fits into, and tell the boss you're taking vacation days in mid-September because Drag Week is an event you really don't want to miss out on.
And for you Drag Week regulars, the schedule is out early enough that you have no excuse for waiting until the last minute to get your stuff running.

All You Need to Know to Be There for Hot Rod's 2009 Drag Week

Sunday, Sept. 13, 2009 - Test 'n Tune - Muncie Dragway, Albany, IN
Monday, Sept. 14, 2009 - Day 1 - Muncie Dragway, Albany, IN
Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2009 - Day 2 - US 131 Motorsports Park, Martin, MI
Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2009 - Day 3 - Summit Motorsports Park, Norwalk, OH
Thursday, Sept. 17, 2009 - Day 4 - National Trail Raceway, Hebron, OH
Friday, Sept. 18, 2009 - Finals - Muncie Dragway, Albany, IN

Countdown to Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

I'M DROPPING A DUAMAX IN A CAMARO LIKE THE OTHER 500 FOLKS THAT HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE ME, BUT YA KNOW WHAT, I'M DOING IT THE BEST BECAUSE I HAVE A DR. P BOX! YEAH!!!

So, greg, let me get this straight, You own this car this time?

it will be running very soon , the jig motor is in the car , and the fab work has started.
This engine will go where the Big Block resided , and weight very close to the same . This car will be daily driven , making it more than a fisability study. We all know that it fits , now let start churning these out .

it was also the first diesel at Hot Rods drag week in 2006 winning two years in a row. 2006 2007... this was a diesel competing against gassers

it was also the first diesel truck to roll in the gate at a NHRA national event and compete in Denver 2007

it was pretty pivotal in bringing diesel into the mainstream eye...

yes, we've been having fun with these trucks for a while, but, like it or not, Greg has done a lot to bring diesel out of the shadows and into the mainstream

I'd venture that half the 625 ARP studs on this board came through Greg

This thread first post here just screams "make fun of comp"

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME! I'M OLD! DID YOU FOR GOT WHAT DID AND HOW I GOT WHERE I AM BECAUSE I DID AND I WILL AND LOOK AT ME I DID THIS AND THAT! YAAAY COMP!

I'M DROPPING A DUAMAX IN A CAMARO LIKE THE OTHER 500 FOLKS THAT HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE ME, BUT YA KNOW WHAT, I'M DOING IT THE BEST BECAUSE I HAVE A DR. P BOX! YEAH!!!

So, greg, let me get this straight, You own this car this time?

good job on showing your ass... way to derail the thread. Why dont you go build something original...

Greg I look forward to seeing the pics on this,should be a sweet ride.

good job on showing your ass... way to derail the thread. Why dont you go build something original...

Greg I look forward to seeing the pics on this,should be a sweet ride.

Thanks! But apparently you haven't read the 100 million Greg Infomercials yet. It's all in good fun, yet so true. If you don't mind, chill out.

this is Tommys Pro Mod ride , this thing makes more torque then any 5.9 in history , right at 3200 foot lbs , but soon hopefully a Dmax will reside here

dragsternx168-1.jpg

Back