Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

Never made off the dyno. Bad injectors and the turbos are just to big.

The NX Mustang made it to Drag Week thought.:rockwoot:

Too big??? Wow, that's interesting... I would have thought that with 3.3 liters feeding each with big rpms would have worked. That's sad news though either way. What was wrong with the injectors?

Too big??? Wow, that's interesting... I would have thought that with 3.3 liters feeding each with big rpms would have worked. That's sad news though either way. What was wrong with the injectors?

They may not be to big. Time will tell. One injector is way out of balance. I think there was junk in the fuel lines that may have not have gotten flushed out. The FCA was sticking to. The injectors are going back to be inspected. Most likely going bigger on them. But time will tell. Tommy has a good plan.

We will keep posting the progress of the project. We are bummed that we didn't make it to drag week but we are still very dedicated to making this thing go. We are going to get our fuel system stuff sorted out. The pump and injectors are going back to Brady at Industrial so he can put them on his flow bench and see whats up. Hopefully it is something as simple as trash that we missed somewhere in the fuel system. The turbos I think worked great, we just need more fuel to really get them going. The turbo controllers from RPM worked great and we were data logging some very promissing numbers. We were recording drive pressure, turbine rpm, egt and boost along with everything else. From the few pulls that we made the data is indicating that we have a very efficient setup. Very low drive pressure and boost numbers for the air we were moving based on turbine rpm and what the airflow meter was telling us. The thing just sounds awesome with the twins and true dual exhaust.

It was a major undertaking and with the help of many people we got the car together, all wired and plumbed. We just simply ran out of time getting the thing tuned and sorted out totally. I thank everyone that helped with putting this car together. We would have been totally lost without the help of Johnboy tuning and BJ Trojek is a wiring wizard in my book. The harness on this thing is a work of art. Now, all the other wiring that I threw on there for fans, pumps etc. looks like a rats nest in comparison. Randy from RPM Performance came through again with the stand alone controllers to run the VGT turbos and data loggers, he stayed with us helping any way he could through the all night thrash also.

Sorry you guys couldn't get it all shaken out in time, Tommy - I'm sure we'll see it running soon though.

Good luck, and post up some pics / video!

We'll see, we have to get it off the dyno and to the drag strip before we can think about anything like that.

We put a fuel pressure sensor on the lift pump supply line today to make a pull and verify that supply pressure was keeping up under demand and it is. We also put a n/c momentary switch on the ground wire to the fca so that we could dump it during a pull to see what would happen, it pegged the sensor we were using for data acqusition at 26,900 psi. This tells me the dragon fire pump isn't the problem and we are maintaining 10 psi to the pump throughout the pull. Injectors are out and headed to industrial in the morning. Rail pressure is oscilating between 19,000 and 21,500 during the pull on a cycle of .25 seconds or so, is that an fca problem? :bang

Thanks, there is no rail pressure safety valve in the system. We have a rail supply fitting in its place. The system is using dual feed lines from the pump and we are feeding each rail from the back.

No, injectors are at Industrial Diesel getting a go through and made a little larger. We are working on some of our tuning issues, trying to get more familiar with all the workings of the Bosch controller. Should be back together and running soon.

We are getting it all together. We've just been very busy moving and setting up the new shop. We were out of room and are moving into a new 6000 sq./ft. building. I'm getting a new DTS engine dyno and several other updates to the shop. The Camaro unfortunately has been on the back burner the last few weeks. We'll post up info when we hit the track and start pumping out some E.T.'s

Tommy’s new shop is taking all of his time , Tyler the owner of Z28 the is helping him , so I would tell you its parked for a while longer . Tommy is working on the dyno that will be able to handle pulling motors , and big Pro Mod Drag engines , I know he has a few of the hign in 2.6 pulling engines to do this winter.

I know that Tommy and John Boy are working on the wiring harness for the Stand alone controllers based off stock EDC16 computers, these can be tunned by anyone use to working with EFI live. this is the computer that is used in both the NX Mustang and Tyler’s Z28

Tommy is also assembling my dragster engine , we are waiting on heads from Greg at ZZ ,
Tommy has parked his Pro Mod as well to get a lot of this done

Back