Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

Yea, the biggest one they could get me, ha ha! I'm putting a new short block together tomorrow for this beast. The cast block and tappered wall wrist pins in the first build couldn't handle the cylinder pressure. All of what you see in the pic is going on top of a CN Billet block and with .300" straight wall pins and a much beefier piston. Can't wait to side step the clutch on that beast again, hope it makes it past 330' this time.

Wait till yall see the the Dmax beast we have dreamed up for this thing!

cranks just got in from Bullet , 4.00 stroke hemi rods , they did a killer job

DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1199.jpg

And the turbo’s are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drum roll here
A pair of Industrial Injection highly modified 6.7 VVT turbo’s . I wanted to try this a long time ago , but the means of controlling them was not yet available , its looks like that RPM Performance will be building a controller for II
This is going to be really neat to have instant spool and then open up the turbo’s AR on the fly

VVT/VGT is the future of Diesel Motorsports.

Ive just had no way to conrol one to try it. A guy from work (Engineer @ Mack) Jeff Zolas has a 67 Camero RS Hot Rod cover car for 05 "Pump Gas Drags". Any way he since turboed it with a VGT charger. I know he made something but sure how he conrtrols it. I know he mesures compressor wheel speed.

And the turbo’s are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drum roll here
A pair of Industrial Injection highly modified 6.7 VVT turbo’s . I wanted to try this a long time ago , but the means of controlling them was not yet available , its looks like that RPM Performance will be building a controller for II
This is going to be really neat to have instant spool and then open up the turbo’s AR on the fly

That is gonna be sweet. I have always wanted to try twins with vgt turbos as well but the lack of a controller has been the hold up. Is it gonna be a manual controller that you turn or will it be all tied into some kind of ecm. Either way the build looks pretty sweet.

Comp, the majority of the stuff you push turns into vaporware....

Is this going to be vaporware as well?

Be honest ad upfront please.

Now lets enter imaginary land here for a moment and these controllers are available.... wait, they are vaporware in imaginary land too. Sad day.

We are really excited about this new turbo program , I think it will dry up all of the eBay 6.7 turbo’s that are inexpensive. Project 6.7 made just under 600 hp from a VVT turbo that Shan at Industrial Injection modified, so with two of them its assured to make some real numbers , and spool like crazy.
The electronic are the easy part , the speed sensor is exactly the same as the one I used on my RPM Performance data logger , and they are the ones doing the control module for II

What about that controller Pure Diesel Power has...I think it was them atleast.

The tires are on the way , Mickey Thompson 33 x 10,5W they will look lost under there , but the rules require a 11.25 or less tread . We are not going to this race to be a also-ran so we will run in the modified call , the bigger tires would mean moving up to Pro Street and running head to head with Eddy and his purple Duster with its 7.90 times To be top in the Modified class we will need to run 8.90’s at every track.

The tires are on the way , Mickey Thompson 33 x 10,5W they will look lost under there , but the rules require a 11.25 or less tread . We are not going to this race to be a also-ran so we will run in the modified call , the bigger tires would mean moving up to Pro Street and running head to head with Eddy and his purple Duster with its 7.90 times To be top in the Modified class we will need to run 8.90’s at every track.

That purple duster is fawking BADARSE :bow:

Eddy is a trip, he dresses in a Elvis style driving suit , but he is the real deal. I watched him slide in to the track at Steele with 10 minutes until dead line , He had been up all night at a garage along the route , tearing the top end off the engine and putting new lifters in ..

His ride was severely over heating , his new heads didn’t flow water the same way. . Rather then take a easy drive down the track , taking a slow time , and staying in the event , like I was compelled to do the next day at Memphis. because of a bent drive shaft.

Eddy jumped out , yelling for help from and one he felt competent around a Pro Mod engine , and went about the task to dump street gas , and replace with racing fuel. Change plugs Carburetor Jets , timing , and set the air in his tires . Eddy pointed ant me and asked what was I waiting for , so we jumped in

He made it to the water box with 30 seconds to spare, and Hot rod made the call to give him 10 mins more to calm down and colect himself .

A 7 second street can on the same tire he drove in on , is a little wild to drive if your all pumped up.

here is a video of the end of that thrash and run . You can see DieselTweeker with the orange shirt , I'm under the car draining street gas

Video, Interviews, Results and Coverage from HOT ROD Drag Week 2008

After eddy made the pass, He went to work again on the heating issue I had a spare Show Boost cooler , and called Mat Snow for guidance , its was installed , and it worked
Bottom line Drag Week is a blast , but it’s the hardest work you will every love

This project is going to go from a lunch time conversation to drag week in 100 days . Al and Tommy don’t mess around , Al got the pistons clearances and the pin oiling modifications done , Then off they went to PolyDyne . Carl at PolyDyne turned then around in a few days , and the Job is as allways top shelf. PolyDyne dose the majority of pistons for NASCAR teams , and a has done the coatings on my competition eliminator pistons and parts for many years . The rods are in From TTS , wow they look great

P1040535.jpg

P1040534.jpg

that’s parts from a Pro Mod Engine Program, This is the kind of engines that come out of this shop every week.

The Z28 Diesel engine is a a mild build , The engine program for the NX Mustang Diesel, is wild , unique custom pistons , with custom rods that are unlike any thing seen yet. This was a continuation of the direction I started to go in 6 years ago .

I have tires on the way from Mickey Thompson , and some cool wheels are in the works.

Compy, can you further explain this please?

"unique custom pistons , with custom rods that are unlike any thing seen yet."

I am not going to go in to specifics , but it’s a mixture of the thought process of a entire think tank of Competition Eliminator veterans and Top fuel engineers. The parts are very strong , and lite. . .

I am not going to go in to specifics , but it’s a mixture of the thought process of a entire think tank of Competition Eliminator veterans and Top fuel engineers. The parts are very strong , and lite. . .

So are you talking aluminum or different material rods? I only ask because aluminum and titanium D-max rods have been developed for a while now.

Pistons are they different material or size shape... your killing me greg.:poke:
Interested to see if you have something new to add to the innovation list.

Back