Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

I know of a Cummins Camaro (69 I think) that may give ya a run for it. Anyhow, nice to see a light tubbed car getting a Dmax!

Awesome build, keep the pics coming!

this is Tommys Pro Mod ride , this thing makes more torque then any 5.9 in history , right at 3200 foot lbs , but soon hopefully a Dmax will reside here

dragsternx168-1.jpg

Bold statement, I wonder how much torque Scheids Mod Pulling truck makes? Or their rail?

I don't know the number for most torque made with a 5.9 cummins but it's got to be dang close to 3200 foot lbs.

Awesome build, keep the pics coming!

Bold statement, I wonder how much torque Scheids Mod Pulling truck makes? Or their rail?

I don't know the number for most torque made with a 5.9 cummins but it's got to be dang close to 3200 foot lbs.

Yeah, and I'm sure that gasser greg speaks of is a weee little bit more then 360CI.

Not sure if it's public knowledge, but I'm sure the shield motors are not to much over 420ci. how many cubes can you squeeze outa the 5.9 block?

People can talk crap and say what they want wether it has to been son1 time or 50. As long as the diesel sport is still growing no need to bash (even though some of these threads get very interesting).

Nice build Greg....I hope we can be all grown ups and let him post pics of this write up. Keep the BS out of this and let him keep us updated..

Robts

man that is killer greg dont listen to those who talk trash its usually the people cant do much but talk or in this case type. what ever get the diesel scene good publicity is great its sure a hell of allot better then the rep we are getting with ppl who blow smoke down main street and are putting a big bulls eye on the whole group of us that the epa is getting closer to hitting.

I wonder if some of that beryllium was mined here in central Utah.

How much did that rod run ya? Can't be cheap.

I wonder if some of that beryllium was mined here in central Utah.

How much did that rod run ya? Can't be cheap.

I’m told that the two bars of material was around a grand .
But if you going for big power then its necessary . That enough for more then one engine program. .

That crank grinder is one tool that very few shops still have. Allowing custom fitment and clearance of the cranks in each engine program.

For 25 years our group has sit down to lunches , talking round table , and doing development work on a multitude of engine programs . The Duramax program has received the same attention .
Already the crank has received some neat custom work, with 4.00 stroke, and lightening , and gas nitrating , it’s a work of art ,
The rods are custom designed as well , using the knowledge gained in making top fuel motors restrain themselves for the habit of self modifying

The blocks program is receiving a great deal of attention as well. . The oil systems are ok, but for high , and sustained RPM ‘s , it lacks a few attributes that we will address .

The plan for the exhaust is dual 3 inch all the way to the bumper , ala the chambered exhaust on the Chevy’s of that era. I bet this thing will have a sound that turns a head or two

greg should be freakin sweet! look forward to seeing it and mikes mustang again at goliad this fall, if u havent killed them at drag week! :Cheer:

Wow,
Sounds like you guys are going all out on this build. Hope it gets finished in time, it's got to take a lot of extra time to complete a build with so much custom engine tweaking.

How hard will it be to tune that chassis to the different weight motor with different power delivery?

the Dmax weighs the same as the cast iron Big Block , and this will not be that hard to tune , the NX Mustang rolled out of the shop , and on the road to Drag Week last year , and first pass was a low 10 second pass on fuel only .
that was on tiny drag radials , this car will have a little more Tire in the back.

It's a pretty sweet looking car program. Keep us updated on the build program and engine program. LOL Just kidding, hopefully it goes well for ya. :Cheer:

Man you lost me with the first half of that first post, what was that all about? After getting through that and seeing what you are building, I wish you all the luck and success in your quest. I do have a couple of questions, I'm assuming the car will be in the 3000 lb range when it's complete with driver? I believe you stated you are looking at a mid 8 sec car, or did I get that wrong? Getting the dmax to make the kind power you need to get that time at your weight isn't difficult and doesn't need anything too exotic. Your description of heads, rods, pistons and oiling issues have all been resolved and in engines making way more power than you will need. It will however be interesting to see if you can get it to hook, especially with what you are considering for tires. The rules allow you to switch tires for racing or do you have to use the street tires you drove there on? In any event good luck and please post your progress.

Very nice looking Camaro, cant wait to see it powered by a oil burner, love the look of a big tired Pro Street Car. Good luck with it and keep us updated.
Ryan

Very nice Greg. Atleast you are starting with a very nice car. It should speed your build up. That Camaro will be awesome. I wish we could make drag week but I know I won't have the funds to make that trip. Good luck with the build!

Very nice Greg. Atleast you are starting with a very nice car. It should speed your build up. That Camaro will be awesome. I wish we could make drag week but I know I won't have the funds to make that trip. Good luck with the build!

ok lets just see if some of the guys on here might help, ill buy the first tank of fuel for you. maybe some people along the route might have a spare bed each night.
Ill even send you a cam,

this is Tommys Pro Mod ride , this thing makes more torque then any 5.9 in history , right at 3200 foot lbs , but soon hopefully a Dmax will reside here

dragsternx168-1.jpg

Is that a Procharger on there? :D

Back