Streetable Big Twins

semperfidoordie

USMC Veteran
Looking to get some opinions on what the most streetable of the big twins would be. I was thinking maybe the 62/74 kit from Wicked Diesels but wasn't sure as I'm new to Cummins. Want something that still spools quick and pulls hard up through the R's. Just starting to plan my build...

I have a 66/480 setup that has very good street manners. 62/74 doesn't seem like a big setup

Search definitely didn't help in this case...back on topic. What kind of lag/spool up RPM were you seeing with the 66/480 twins? Also more specs if you care to share them like injector size, CP3 setup and any kind of power numbers or ETs.

I had a silver bullet over 480 with 150hp injectors and stock dual cp3
I'm going bigger on next set for daily driver when I get a truck. I towed lots of big trailers and stuff. Never egt issue.

66/480 leaves a ton to be hashed out, there are many options of 66, and even more of 80mm s400's

why don't you start by telling us what the power goals are? or just keep searching...

How about some details on goals? Any specific horsepower number? ET? Or just wanting a big twin setup to do rolling burnouts and poop on corvettes?

Search definitely didn't help in this case...back on topic. What kind of lag/spool up RPM were you seeing with the 66/480 twins? Also more specs if you care to share them like injector size, CP3 setup and any kind of power numbers or ETs.

Then you didn't search well this topic has been covored hundreds of times.

Tow around 12k maybe 6 times a year. Other than that daily driving and some weekend drag strip duty. My goal is fairly quick spool up and a consistant strong running truck. My old truck was pushing around 575-600hp according to the ET calculators so I'm thinking around 750 or so for that little bit of exta pep. Don't want to mess with nitrous just fuel only power.

Thinking trans, lift pump, EFILive tuning, twins, sticks, studs and CP3s.

So a 62/68 14 over a s475 1.32 would do ya this is no where near a big set but would be very streetable.

Gotcha. Thanks Lostnwalmart. I wasn't sure...my last truck was a tuned/deleted 6.4 but otherwise stock and my truck before that was a dmax with a S464, built trans, airdog, traction bars and EFI that ran 12.73 so my only other experience in the past few years has been V-8 diesels so still learning what works on these inline motors...I'd like to have the power to run low 12s or high 11s with a decent launch. Not sure what kinda HP number that is though.

Yeah if you want to build for a bit bigger then go with a 480 on the bottom. I like the 92 mm turbine better than the 96 and you can put a 1.10 housing easily on it.

That's a good point. I will probably end up doing that. So you think a 64 or 66 and 480 combo? Stupid newb question but isn't it he smaller turbo that basically determines the low end spool characteristics?

That's a good point. I will probably end up doing that. So you think a 64 or 66 and 480 combo? Stupid newb question but isn't it he smaller turbo that basically determines the low end spool characteristics?

62fmw Imo, I wouldn't do a 66/ 480 kit.

my favorite daily driver setup is 62/65/13 over 7 blade 78/87/1.10. ....spools amazzzzing if you don't over fuel it

A 351 secondary? it will never work........

LOL for his Hp goals he would need an e gate but it would work.

Last edited:
I think ATS just blocks off the gate in the 351, but that and an A5k and around 100% nozzles will do 750 range. I'm sure the 351 wasn't exactly loving life:hehe:

I've thought a lot about a 63/68 and 475 or 78, should easily support 750-800 and still drive extremely well. I would never do a 66 anything in compounds, of course I'm at 7k elevation too so there's that. I just had a 66 single and while it was still on stock fuel, it totally sucked having that lag pig on.

Back