Who has the Best modified rail ?

Has anyone in this thread actually ran a modified rail? Or it's automatically junk because, so and so did XXXX amount with a stocker, so a modified rail would be absolutely no help. Numbers take away doubt, not opinion. Just my $.02

Has anyone in this thread actually ran a modified rail? Or it's automatically junk because, so and so did XXXX amount with a stocker, so a modified rail would be absolutely no help. Numbers take away doubt, not opinion. Just my $.02

I have a 10mm,12mm and a 14mm bored rail. Ran better with the stock rail.

Maybe I'm biased, but I have a modified rail from Todd (and HPRV). Seems to help bring the power in a little quicker. Haven't dynoed it for a fair comparison, so......

TY runs a TC Diesel rail and swears by it for helping reduce the pulses from the cp3 and is supposed to help save injectors....In his defense, He never really had injectors issues like I have and many others too.

I have a TC Diesel modded rail but it went on during my last total build... I can not tell anything specific about the rail itself... I mainly use it as a peace of mind about maybe possibly saving my injectors a bit longer..

I also have TCDiesel's modded RV too... I think it also adds to my peace of mind..

I have not ran a modified rail. Then again thats why Im here looking for useful information about it no just jiberish. On another note that 6.7 rail conversion looks like a interesting route.

I have not ran a modified rail. Then again thats why Im here looking for useful information about it no just jiberish. On another note that 6.7 rail conversion looks like a interesting route.

No doubt that it is a cool conversion. I don't know if it is worth it though. One thing hate about the 6.7 intake is that # 5-6 suffer and are the last in line for air. It is great for # 1 though as it suffers a bit in the stock air horn location in the 5.9. The bigger rail and lines are a plus but you can EDM the 5.9 tubes a bit. I guess you just have to figure out if it is worth the money and results will vary since no two trucks usually have the same parts or confguration. What works for me may not work for you. I am sure all the high HP 5.9 run a stock or modified 5.9 rail in some configuration (I could be wrong about some trucks).

All I can say is that I have been running a modded rail for 3 years now from TC. Does it make more power...really don't know what to say as I did not dyno the truck before or after. What I can say it that the modded rail smoothed out the "hit" that I used to feel as I went from low load to WOT.

I'm with Swole on this. I had some relativley smart educated people back this theory up on the injector pulse being dampened by the rail. I too have a T&C rail as well as dual prv setup.
whats a couple hundred bucks to a minimum few thousands saved possibly.
Even if i was a lose of a few hp its better than a gain of hp just before you blow the end of an injector.

I don't think the larger rail, whether modded or 6.7, will increase peak HP, but does increase HP and TQ below peak. More power at lower rpm is a good thing isn't it? Better for towing/DD and better at the track. If larger volume helps dampen (or whatever) the pressure pulses/waves then that's a bonus.

I'm with Swole on this. I had some relativley smart educated people back this theory up on the injector pulse being dampened by the rail. I too have a T&C rail as well as dual prv setup.
whats a couple hundred bucks to a minimum few thousands saved possibly.
Even if i was a lose of a few hp its better than a gain of hp just before you blow the end of an injector.

Sounds like cheap insurance to me!!!

The 6.7 conversion sound cool but I would have to agree 5&6 get starved for air. Not to metion the cost vs effectiveness of the whole conversion when you can just swap a moddified rail in.

Who lost power??

Eric, Who's truck lost 40hp and what dyno what this?

Well John from Floor It told me he had a truck strapped on his dyno and changed the rail to a modded one and as memory serves,..said it lost 30hp.

The 6.7 conversion sound cool but I would have to agree 5&6 get starved for air. Not to metion the cost vs effectiveness of the whole conversion when you can just swap a moddified rail in.

I don't need it on my truck, but I think the 6.7 rail/lines and intake, along with running the "spool aid" plumbing (to the rear only) would be the next best thing to milling the head for a Helmann/ZZ Fab-type intake.
The major issue I see is that the head itself is the major restriction, so where is the point of diminishing returns where you need to get at the internals to make improvements?

Well John from Floor It told me he had a truck strapped on his dyno and changed the rail to a modded one and as memory serves,..said it lost 30hp.

So, I should of done 793 with my 64? mines a "wild" rail.

I wonder if the folks that are on the edge of the pumps ability to flow though their injectors see this more then those that aren't. duals vs single. the single may lose power where the dual's won't with a bigger rail.

And well, if this is on john's dyno, him and his dyno can be dead nuts on consistent run after run. I'd like to know more about the pump size and injectors run on this truck.

With spool aid was my thoughts also

Bully Dogs New monster..
Bully Dog® hits the race track again
The truck that has been built over the last 9 months finally hit the race track and dyno last month. The 2006 Dodge Cummins® is a total custom build from the chassis up. All of the work, from building the frame and roll cage to the body work, was done in-house by the Bully Dog staff. The power plant, an inline 6 cylinder Cummins tuned with the soon to be released Crazy Larry tune, is putting out huge power. Not running nitrous and just a single turbo, the Crazy Larry tune put down 1031 horsepower to the wheels at the Industrial Injection dyno event.
Who's rail and CPRVs did the engineers at Bully Use..T&C. They tested the engine several times W & W/O the T&C Valves and Rail..It consistently added 30+ Hp.

I have said this Numerous Times Modded rails are NOT Dyno friendly, the Street,Pull,Track...are the playground for modded Rails & Valves.

I've been running Todd's Wild rail for a couple years. It's worked great, but with no definable results, as I installed a cam, injectors, etc at the same time.

It's been too long since I've had fluid mechanics for me to intelligibly comment on wave phenomina in the rail; however, I do know that one of the biggest drivers of utilizing the pulses in a beneficial manner, is maintaining the same separatation between pilot and main events for which the rail was designed.

It's never been clear to me how the TST, Smarty, etc "plays" with the pilot, but I'd imagine that when we advance timing, that it's advancing both of these? There's really far too much variability and too many factors involved to accurately determine what's going on inside the rail and combustion chamber on our trucks with the limited data acquisition most of us have access to. Thus, the only data to go off of, is dyno results, track times, etc...although changes within a few percent may be within the error band anyway?

--Eric

Thanks for all the info guys was not lookin for any big h.p. gain from this mod just as Swole said piece of mind . any one had any experence with Wicked's rail and line ?

Back