Why is my truck cutting fuel??? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

I think II is trying to dodge a warranty that they should back up. Have you tried a different pump? My thought is that if you have continuity, and you have tried a different ecm, the only other thing could be a bad wire from the injection pump pin to the internal circuit board and or solenoid itself.

If you have tried a different pump, by all means, forget my above thought.

He would but his other pump is the one I've been running to get over 400hp. LOL

And i was seeing the same problem before with my old pump.

Anyone have a map sensor they might loan me for a few days so maybe i can eleminate the new one????

I think you may be missing whats right in front of you here.

Its well known when someone changes out the VP44 they usually wiggle the harness to get it off the pump.That allows the pin connectors to become loose inside one another and will cause the same problem you are having now.I have a friend who has a dealership and he had a Cummins mechanic show him the issue.Cummins even has a tool to both check the fit of all the pins and make a small tool to change them out of the harness plug itself,along with having the pins in stock.I do not know what the part numbers are but I can find out Monday when he opens back up for you......Andy

i got another map, and iat sensor i'll let you borrow when i get home in a week or so. i also got another so pump sitting on the shelf. we can swap ecms and see if they work from mine and the old lady's 00 model. not sure if they'll work but i can tell you're almost at the end of your rope. don't know how far you are from taylor but if you're in the area while the ol' man's at the shop you're welcome to them.

I think you may be missing whats right in front of you here.

Its well known when someone changes out the VP44 they usually wiggle the harness to get it off the pump.That allows the pin connectors to become loose inside one another and will cause the same problem you are having now.I have a friend who has a dealership and he had a Cummins mechanic show him the issue.Cummins even has a tool to both check the fit of all the pins and make a small tool to change them out of the harness plug itself,along with having the pins in stock.I do not know what the part numbers are but I can find out Monday when he opens back up for you......Andy

I had this issue with a Snap-On truck with a ISB. It was the connectors in the harness that connected to the PSG. Used a small pick to probe around the outside dia. of the connector which tighten the inside dia. fixing the problem. I also have a customer that runs around Mexico (dirt roads) with a 3500 that had the same problem. I tighten up the connections and problem gone.
The relay for the VP-44 shut off solenoid is in the fuse box under the hood.
I forget the labeling (fuel inj.?) if you pull the right relay with the ign. on you will hear the clicking of the solenoid in the pump. You can probe the PSG harness terminals 6&7 with volt meter and pull the relay to verify the correct one.
Was any electrical work done around the time the problem occured, security system stereo, etc.?

I had this issue with a Snap-On truck with a ISB. It was the connectors in the harness that connected to the PSG. Used a small pick to probe around the outside dia. of the connector which tighten the inside dia. fixing the problem. I also have a customer that runs around Mexico (dirt roads) with a 3500 that had the same problem. I tighten up the connections and problem gone.
The relay for the VP-44 shut off solenoid is in the fuse box under the hood.
I forget the labeling (fuel inj.?) if you pull the right relay with the ign. on you will hear the clicking of the solenoid in the pump. You can probe the PSG harness terminals 6&7 with volt meter and pull the relay to verify the correct one.
Was any electrical work done around the time the problem occured, security system stereo, etc.?

I cant recal any electrical work around the time i think it started. But I who knows. I will have to check the plug out and do what you are talking about. Thanks for the idea.

I wouldnt dought this beeing the problem. How ever when i cut the Fuelshut off wire i had to pull the loom back and noticed a bunch of wires that were cut and spliced. Not from me. So anyways i have a harness for $150 comming. I am going to stick it on and see what happens.

KIPO thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it if everything else dont work.

I think you are gonna find the problem really soon, you've almost replaced the truck. Gotta pop its head out soon.

no prob. was that you that suffered from jared's 2 a.m. injector install.??

i remember your truck and all the oil/fuel that was everywhere. we'll be home next week and have plenty of time to help ya. you buy the beer though. lol..

Ok i actually got to really mess with the truck today.

It is actually cutting out all the time. At idle, free rev, running down the highway, tached out. About the only time it is not cutting out is during acceleration as long as you dont let it get to a point where it is not pulling.

What ever is doing this is all the time. I had really only noticed this at free rev and 3600rpms or when free wheeling. But since i have acutally gotten to drive the truck a lot its all the time.

Something is permanatly messed up.

You change that harness out yet? How did you determine that it's all the time?

Mine was also doing the same thing at wot.
a few months later the pump took a poop.
so i solved the prob for good. i installed a 215 ppump in its place and i will never look back again.

You change that harness out yet? How did you determine that it's all the time?

No i havent had a chance to change the harness. Well i let it idle lastnight and you can hear it cuttout just idleing. But then i was pulling a D4G dozer wensday and noticed it was bucking and jumping when lugging down.

The only time that it is not noticable is under acceleration. Even when drive around town you can hear it cutting out just crusing at 30mph. Even if you keep it in 2nd or let it have 3rd and lug it it will still cut out. Whatever the problem is permanent. Doesnt change other than gets worse. Probly because of to much fuel/timing getting added under acceleration.

maybe the connector thing needs more attention since it did help when you were messing with it a while back. Try and tighten the pins... I'll call you in the morn..

Jared

*bdh**bdh* connector thingy didnt do a dang thing. I even did it twice and no change.

Any updates on this? I'm curious to see what you have found. My truck does the same thing. I have a new VP, injectors, FASS, turbo..ect. ect.. I found that it only does it with boxs that add timing. Hmm....

Back