Worlds First?

Wow Carl that is a truly amazing setup. You are one of the true pioneers of supercharged diesels. I hope to see how well both a 3.3L Whipple and a Procharger work with that setup. Also you really should dyno one of your setups one of these days it would be interesting to see the power curve. I bet it would be crazy!

Also what type of setup are you planning with the Novi? Single turbo with it? And btw congrats for being in the supercharger article in Diesel Power!

What would you say is the advantage over the single turbo / supercharger setup you did last?
Ive got a fummins swap planned so I doubt I can fit two turbos -and- a SC under the hood. Maybe with a body lift.

Twins offer the same gains w/wo the blower. Faster spool and more top-end. The blower is specifically for low-end response and ability to daily drive and/or tow with larger turbos without the lag/smoke/egt penalties they would normally have.
I just hand calculated mpgs for 2 tanks of fuel. 1 was 100% #2 and highway, 17.63 mpgs traveling 75mph fairly steady.
Second tank was mixed city/hwy and 25% wvo got 16.7 mpgs.
So not too bad with fairly large sticks and no plate with little tuning.

Mine will be in a couple of weeks as long as I don't have any more head gasket problems.

Mine will be in a couple of weeks as long as I don't have any more head gasket problems.

Smokie Okie, what is your setup? Like what supercharger and what turbo do you have? Also what other mods do you have like fuel, intercooler, etc?

Smokie Okie, what is your setup? Like what supercharger and what turbo do you have? Also what other mods do you have like fuel, intercooler, etc?

2.3l Whipple feeding S475. Intercooler is out of an '01 Ford. Injectors are 5X16's.
F1 Spartan cam, 60# springs, Fire ringed P&P'd head

I still need to do some tuning on the afc. There's no haze at idle but it get's smokey quick when I start feeding it. May switch over to 5X14's.

FYI- Not the first super/turbo set-up on a 2nd gen. Piers did a 8-71 super over S300's something turbo about 8-10 years ago on a P7100 24V truck. The truck lost HP on the dyno vs a similar twins turbo configuration.

FYI- not a single turbo set-up. it has COMPOUND turbos with the blower and unlike piers set-up, it makes unrestricted power by bypassing the blower up top. ;)
Props to Piers for his efforts, but this is a different animal.

FYI- not a single turbo set-up. it has COMPOUND turbos with the blower and unlike piers set-up, it makes unrestricted power by bypassing the blower up top. ;)
Props to Piers for his efforts, but this is a different animal.

Not to mention the Whipple chargers are lightyears ahead of the old roots found on Detroits... Even so, I bet the torque curve on Piers set up was still crazy steep down low.

sounds like the supercharger is all about low-end response and possibly economy.
its possible that this setup may raise effective compression enough to help offset static compression loss from valve reliefs, thicker head gasket or aggressive cams.
could low end boost also compensate for intake porting and larger valves that slow incoming air? might cure a lot of the downsides that come from tuning for high rpm power.
curious enough that Ill probably buy one soon!

edit: I suspect that someone whos worked with a (expensive) flow bench that uses pressure instead of vacuum may have the answers to some of these questions.

Last edited:
Back