03-04 Hot trucks, boost question?

Amish Elegance

Schadenfreude
How much boost can you make? What is your tuning combo of choice?

Short backstory...
I've recently, out of necessity, been researching boost fooling in these ECM's. I am seeing, with a small sampling, a trend appearing with similar combo's to what I'm running and possibly on a broader scale. Trying to nail down limits of combos. I believe irregardless of injector, map based defuel is occurring at various levels, dependent upon stack.

If someone knows more about this, feel free to opine past boost number and tune information.

You know mine but I'll post it for the sake of comparison.

Smart TNT/MP8 stack

62 psi max.

Thanks, Rico.

He's one of my small sample group.
Mine for the record...

Smarty TNT-R/Dr.P

62psi

Anyone see the trend yet? LOL Maybe its nothing, a few others I've talked to magically stop there too.

I'm only running the Beta 4.2 with no stack as of right now and the gauge shows a little over 60 so I'll call it 62. II 62/14 over a GT4202. Never had an over boost code. I thought the Smarty limited the boost the ECM saw to 40 something psi?
I have an old Quad Race box sitting in the garage, do you think I should throw it on to do additional fooling?

Mine will only do 52 with the Smarty only...my MP8 has to be on to get the full 62.

Smarty, Dr P. SB (was) more than 60psi (thats all my guage read up too

Green, as far as I can tell from research and experience the Smarty fools, as Unbroken said, to the 52 mark. Past that you need a boost fooler or pressure box with additional fooling.

Mork, you're Canadian right? You sure you got the conversion from Kilopascals right? LOL JK. How much over 60 did you see? Wrap the needle to the peg over 60 or just past the 60 mark?

Anybody got an 03-04 motor that will hit more than 62?

At 62 both Unbroken and I have cleaned up everything out the tail pipe with our respective setups. That is still the goal, but I'd like to do it with about 15 more lbs of boost.

I know I'm not reinventing the wheel here, someone here has to have figured this out before.

My brothers truck will hit 80 psi but it is clean as a whistle and he is running larger twins then most. We already know his ecm defuels due to a lack of the pcm in his conversion. It really doesnt seem to make much differance if the boost fooler is plugged in or not on his.

I did another conversion with smaller twins, 64 over 80 and it would stop right around 60-62. We also know his is defuling for teh same reason.

I know my set up dont fit the category but the 62lb boost got me interested...TST-r39, 90hp sticks, single pro52 charger and i only got 62lb boost but without boost fooling :confused:...the same turbo on a 12v p-pumped motor will go as far as 70lb boost. Sorry for the hijack!

Not a hijack at all. (if your truck is a 3rd gen, no sig so I can't tell) Boost is boost. I'd be interested to know if you can improve if you put a fooler on there. My guess is you'll stay at that magic number. :doh:

If 62psi is the ceiling, a great many of us with twins have way more lung than we can use.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong. :bang

Lack of a PCM ?

Yours is using the ecm and pcm since you have the engine and dodge trans. We are using Ford trans with a PCS so no Dodge PCM and it seems to be screwing up the fueling tables even though it doesnt throw codes. Take a scanner and watch the Egine Load % and see where it tops out, all of the conversions I have been doing using 03 engines the load tops out at 62-68% or less. On a Dodge truck though it will go to 120+%. In talking with other accual Cummins programmers they say w/o a pcm the ecm will max out the fuel at 62%.

Now on the boost deal I dont know, this may be one more quirk that we have run across with the 03's. These ecm's are turning out to be very complex and very tempermental, if not everything is just as it wants to see then it pulls fuel. I hate them I hate them I hate them............:bang:bang:bang:bang

Little early for conclusion on the matter, but I have yet to be persuaded otherwise. To that end I'll offer this early and possibly flawed one...

Great, well I guess I'll have to look at volumetric efficiency a little harder now.:doh: So much for the brute force approach of cramming more air through crappy passageways with chitty cam lift and duration.

If 62 psi is the ceiling, a cam and port job will probably provide gains well past what they should necessarily get credit for. Tuning kept the same the ECM will likely add more fuel to make up the boost difference and keep you at the same manifold pressure if injectors and turbos are still under their duty cycle or WG/drive pressure limits (respectively). I most certainly fall into that category. :doh::kick:

I'm growing to hate them too, Bean. :bang

Yours is using the ecm and pcm since you have the engine and dodge trans. We are using Ford trans with a PCS so no Dodge PCM and it seems to be screwing up the fueling tables even though it doesnt throw codes. Take a scanner and watch the Egine Load % and see where it tops out, all of the conversions I have been doing using 03 engines the load tops out at 62-68% or less. On a Dodge truck though it will go to 120+%. In talking with other accual Cummins programmers they say w/o a pcm the ecm will max out the fuel at 62%.

Now on the boost deal I dont know, this may be one more quirk that we have run across with the 03's. These ecm's are turning out to be very complex and very tempermental, if not everything is just as it wants to see then it pulls fuel. I hate them I hate them I hate them............:bang:bang:bang:bang

Interesting...Amish's truck topped out at 59% load.

Very interesting, I always thought my conversion was a dog when stock (compared to a stock dodge truck). It's better with the Smarty but since I don't run a PCM either, it sounds like I'm still limited to 62% fuel?:doh:

What have you done to get around it? If anything?

EDIT: Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread, I'll send you a PM...

Last edited:
i have pushed mid 80s with mine and never a boost code just rail pressure code i am runnin tst,smartyand edge ez but now just smarty tnt-r

Back