03-04 Hot trucks, boost question?

We can only get 20psi out of my brothers primary cause its just wont get enough fuel to get it goin all the way. We have tried every kind of boost fooler there is and a TST on it will definetly make a big differance on it we do not want to stack anything on it for fear of pictures like the above ones. I dont like not having control of the timming once a box gets stacked on top of a Smarty.

Eric, is there any way to get the load on your truck or Rebs or are they down right now?

They are down right now.... We got another 03 in the shop right now that has a 6.7L conversion with Flux 5s, twins, dual cp3s, and so on. When we start running the truck on the dyno, i'll check the load percentages.

That is why my face is purple... I have ppe duals feeding slightly larger sticks than Richard. Rail reads fine as wine. My top charger is gated, but we're not into it yet. 30 on primary, Same peak boost. :doh::bang

Guess I'll be raising a few more barns for a TST. :bang

What's fine on the rail pressure? On my truck there was a huge difference with the pressure box. With big injectors you want at least 27K.

Like i said, these trucks just need more duration than what is given with all of the programmers (on trucks that have awesome supply). The problem is, everyone out there that has a regular truck will think they need the same program.

The new adrenaline sounds pretty cool. I heard the rail pressure feature will pretty interesting. From what i remember, you can set it up to command fuel pressure with a certain TPS value. This will be nice for the track.

Find someone to do a load test with a DRB and let us know what happens.
I don't know how far from Engineered Diesel you are but Glen can scan it if you're close enough.

Not that I wish this problem on you...but the more trucks that show up with it hapening the more apt we are to get someone to find a resolution.

Unbroken,
What is a DRB? Sorry for the ignorance.

I had another thought while driving the truck today, how many pulses does the ford VSS read per revolution. I wonder if the Cummins ECM reads say 3 pulses off the Dodge VSS, but the Ford puts out 12. If that were the case the ECM would cut out based on the Speed Limiter. It would think you were going 100MPH when you were only going 25MPH. I don't know how the limiter works since I went 105 on the dyno when I posted the 550/1150. Does it cut out completely or defuel to 62% ????????

Only reason I bring this up is because I'm mid way through a 4.0 conversion in a 89 YJ that used to have a 258 in it. I had to get a different VSS that what either vehicle used stock but found a Mopar one that had the correct signal as well as allowed me to use the 89 speedo cable.

Last edited:
I had another thought while driving the truck today, how many pulses does the ford VSS read per revolution. I wonder if the Cummins ECM reads say 3 pulses off the Dodge VSS, but the Ford puts out 12. If that were the case the ECM would cut out based on the Speed Limiter. It would think you were going 100MPH when you were only going 25MPH. I don't know how the limiter works since I went 105 on the dyno when I posted the 550/1150. Does it cut out completely or defuel to 62% ????????

Only reason I bring this up is because I'm mid way through a 4.0 conversion in a 89 YJ that used to have a 258 in it. I had to get a different VSS that what either vehicle used stock but found a Mopar one that had the correct signal as well as allowed me to use the 89 speedo cable.

I had the same thought about 6 months ago so I changed my speed limiter in the Smarty to 60 and it defueled right at 60 mph... So it must be the same or very close. I just set it back to some unrealistic value like 225 mph... So that shouldn't be causing the problem...

Got-Torque,
Does yours have the low duty cycle %? What year Truck and Engine are you running? What if different years were different pulse rates, kinda like on the Tach on the Fords with the CR. Yours might just happen to be a combo that matches with what the ECM is looking for.

Could be grabbin at straws here.

I don't run enough fuel or turbo to reach 62 psi of boost in the excursion, but my fuel loading does max out at 62% on a DRB scanner. 03 CR engine in my 2000 Excursion that used to be a V10 gas...

Well got to do ENGINE% load test on mine this mornin and smarty with revo with 72psi. Engine load 69%. Then I turned on the tst and aparently it screws with the readins. Was 248%. And ding cel is on with boost 86psi
guess eric browns was right 69% is still pretty bada$$

Last edited:
Sorry you joined the club. Marco is looking into it along with Bean...hopefully someone will figure it out.
I agree with you though...mine runs very good at 69%

i've tried a few programmers and the engine load % was always between 60-75%. when using the edge juice load goes to 100%

03 ECM

75 psi Smarty only
80 psi TST only

I have it gated for 80 max though and haven't pushed it more.

With the old engine and old gate control it hit 95 psi.

I probably can't add a whole lot at this point-- but:

04 235hp smarty TNT/r, TST, power puck, garrett 4094 over 4518.

I have hit 90 but am limited working off of one stage 3 cp3. Once I get the dual cp3's hooked up, maybe it will hit more? I dunno...

So was there any conclusions draw? We have a couple 03s running around that did not respond well to the Smarty and MP-8 stack.

spikes to 45-46psi still smoking then clears up and drops to 40-42psi. never had a scaner hooked up.

Back