03-04 Hot trucks, boost question?

Green, as far as I can tell from research and experience the Smarty fools, as Unbroken said, to the 52 mark. Past that you need a boost fooler or pressure box with additional fooling.

I went out tonight after work and hooked up the Quad Race box. Still only 62psi.
Maxes out the rail pressure gauge though.

Got to thinking... in regard to the miracle trucks and otherwise who've replied:

Any of you have a RAD box installed too?

The advantage of the RAD box in the early CR's is that it eliminates TQ management and does so independent of software. I have one sitting on my tool box that curiosity has motivated me to install as soon as I get time.

Wondered if it would make a difference. Thoughts?

Also cquestad, three words: How. The. Hell?

Thats the thing with these dang ecm's one will run like crazy and do some stupid #'s while others will just be so-so. With an 03 ecm on my truck I qualified 5th last year at scheids in 2.8, came back home and got on the dyno and did 775, not as much power as I thought it should take to get top 5 at schieds in 2.8 but oh well. Then I proceeed to try and back that up. Run after run it dropped hp. After about 30 runs of messing with different things but no major changes it was sub 500hp!

Have another customers truck that did 981hp last fall on a DyoDynamics dyno, came down for our dyno day on our DynoDynamics and did 602hp and had bigger injs! My brothers truck has done 900+hp on our dyno before and has been running pretty well recently, not 900 but mid 700's and 1/8th mile trap speeds of 89mph in a 8500# truck. Got back on the dyno this past weekend and did 500hp.

They are all over the place with no ryme or reason.

Well I put the scanner on Rico's truck yesterday, and his is also peaking at 68% and then it quickly backs down to roughly 35%.
If anyone else has a 03-04 and has access to a DRB, could you post what %load you are seeing and what you have for boxes on it.

I may volley another thread with that request, Glenn. Hopefully we'll get a few more bites.

I'm having the parts CNC'd to pull the MAP sensor, replace it with a threaded plug that will have a pressure regulator screwed into it with the stock sensor screwed into that. Hellmann is working on those today...I hope to have them in a few days.

The idea is to physically fool MAP instead of electronically.
Hopefully I can meet up with Glen at Engineered Diesel on Friday when I go to Michigan to re-scan and see where that gets us.

I'm having the parts CNC'd to pull the MAP sensor, replace it with a threaded plug that will have a pressure regulator screwed into it with the stock sensor screwed into that. Hellmann is working on those today...I hope to have them in a few days.

The idea is to physically fool MAP instead of electronically.
Hopefully I can meet up with Glen at Engineered Diesel on Friday when I go to Michigan to re-scan and see where that gets us.

Richard,

I don't have a 305 but my experience with pressure boxes and boost fooling is that they don't necessarily do full/complete fooling. Seem to fool based on setting or pressure, not sure which. With either the EZ or MP8 stacked with my Smarty TNT/R I would max out at 45psi or so. When I turned the TST up to just 2/0 (No Timing) I could then boost to 50-55psi. This lower boost started with the Smarty TNT software, the older software did not seem to do this. With the older Smarty software I could hit 55psi pretty easy.

Have you set the Shift Defuel to OFF and seen if that makes a difference. Might not be wise for the Transmission, but would be nice to know if that changes anything.

I know I am off topic but has anyone seen these issues with the 04.5 ECM's ?

I know I am off topic but has anyone seen these issues with the 04.5 ECM's ?

From a post my Bean on PSN: I have had much less issue out of 05+ trucks and the defeuling thing. I think it is mainly a 03-04 deal and possibly into the 04.5's.

Glen...can we meet up sometime Friday to rescan mine provided I get these parts installed by then ?

Give me a call later in the week if you get the new widget on Richard. I will try to make it to Martin.

Let me add...for the 03/04 guys.

If your truck magically stops at 62 psi and/or completly cleans up the smoke with good rail pressure....get it scanned ASAP.

The more trucks we can locate with this issue....the more tuning/parts combos we can compare to start narrowing down the root cause of the issue.

And don't be fooled by a good running truck...mine runs exactly like I thought it would after the conversion. It would seem I had my sights set a bit low because there's most definitely some unused power still on the table.

If you have a modded 03/04 truck....and have the ability to get it scanned and post the results here it would help us out a lot.
Hell...04.5 and up trucks too....just to compare.

I dyno'ed yesterday at Spring Fling. I started opening the external gate at 74psi. Was using Smarty 4.3 beta, TST on lvl 2, and an mp8.

We've ran all the way up to almost 100 psi with no problems. When my truck was doing 1K, i had 75 lbs of boost. The thing is, that is where we designed the turbos to be at for 1K hp. When we swapped injectors and pumps, we were making 94 psi at 1,138 hp. The increased boost was do to the fact my 50mm wastegate was maxed out, so the top turbo was working too hard.

On Reb's truck, it could hit 90 psi easily also. Granted we are probably running more fuel that most.

The 1K runs were with Smarty, EZ, TST, Flux 5s, dual cp3s. Even when i had the triple dog (out of the box tune), it would still hit 75 psi. It didn't run nearly as strong with the bullydog, but it was that way until Marco was able to play with my truck.

One thing i did notice when i first built dyno'd the truck, the air filter limited my boost (also the tubing was colapsing before the big turbo). I was only doing 62-64 with it on. As soon as i pulled the filter, it was doing 75 (where it was setup to be).

Thanks for the reply, Eric.

Could you ever hit more than 62 with the software and pressure only?

Was the TST ever out of the picture?

Well just glancing through the posts it seems like the guys with a TST installed don't have the boost/load limitations that the ones without do.

Like I said on mine it does make a difference with just bare minimal TST setting.

Thanks for the reply, Eric.

Could you ever hit more than 62 with the software and pressure only?

Was the TST ever out of the picture?

With the Flux 5s, i needed the TST. At 1K, i was running Smarty level 7 that was tweaked, EZ, and the TST on 5x5. I had a ton of supply.

When we put the 7.5s in, i could only do 2x2 on the TST. The TST started causing big problems up above 1K. We thought it was a timing issue and Marco was running around in circles trying to tune it out. We ended up finding out it was either a box problem or a harness problem. I think it was taching to fast the box might not have been able to process fast enough.

We then took it off and ran the smarty with ez. The Smarty had no timing in it because we were using the timing of the TST (wasn't adjustable). We dropped a lot of power (1100+ to 1000). Marco then added the timing back in and we were back up to 1080. On the next runs Marco was going to add some more duration to take place of the TST. That is when the crank broke in half. I think it was hitting about 70 without the TST on the Flux 5s, but i had it set for 75 psi. As I added more fuel, it would 75 and then gate hard. At 70 the gates were creeping and needed fuel to push through it.

With the 7.5s, Smarty, and EZ, it was easy to blow past 85 PSI. All of these runs were on a dyno too (less load that the street).

Well just glancing through the posts it seems like the guys with a TST installed don't have the boost/load limitations that the ones without do.
Like I said on mine it does make a difference with just bare minimal TST setting.

That is what it looks like. I guess Amish is going to have to raise a few more barns this summer and order up a TST! :shake:

Back