08 Dodge land speed effort.

The picture you show looks good but it does not fit the B/DT rules. The current rules require you to keep the original body panels and the one you've removed below the bumper with the lights makes what you've done not fit the rules. Now if you put the lower light openings back in or just extended and air damn down from the original body panel you would meet the current rules.

I'll try and explain why I think the airdam is legal , DT rules are based on Gas Coupe rules and aside from the listed DT rules, gas coupe rules prevail. Air dams are permitted in the Gas coupe class rules.
As per the rulebook ''An air dam may be attached to the leading edge of the bumper and not be considered to be extending forward of the front bumper so long as no point of the airdam projects more than 1/4 inch forward of the original contour of the leading edge of the front bumper when viewed from above''
The last bit is the most important 'when viewed from above' So coming down off the bumper vertically is acceptable. The radiator openings are not allowed to be covered.Headlights and parking lights are not allowed to be covered, there is no mention of fog lights or spot lights, the low option dodges like the one we race do not have these lower fog lights fitted on the original bumper and the holes are closed with a finned plug. The air dam has been fitted to a chrome steel bumper for our model year truck, I still have the 'Laramie' bumper for the street.
I guess that's my interpretation of the rules.

Tim

Last edited:
The rules also say you cannot remove or alter original body panels. You have removed the entire body panel and changed its shape in order to get an aero advantage which is clearly not allowed. As I said, had you extend downward from the OEM panels you would be fine but since you removed the OEM panel I think you are way beyond what the rules allow for in this class.

time fora 1500 front end conversion, still a stock panel. Just shorter anda bit more aero

The rules also say you cannot remove or alter original body panels. You have removed the entire body panel and changed its shape in order to get an aero advantage which is clearly not allowed. As I said, had you extend downward from the OEM panels you would be fine but since you removed the OEM panel I think you are way beyond what the rules allow for in this class.

Didn't you have almost this exact argument over McRat's LSR bumper?

If SCTA says it's OK, then it's OK.

By the way - beautiful work on that air dam!

Just thinking out loud, what if you "leaned" the air dam back from vertical a little bit, in order to allow the presence of a splitter on the bottom. Do you think that would be better than the vertical surface you have now?

I realize that it would be a huge re-work for your truck, but I'm thinking more of my own right now. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this topic.

I was thinking of setting my air dam back a bit (possibly angled back, with the lower edge farther back than the leading edge), with the intent of running a splitter that would extend maybe 1" past the air dam, while still being behind the leading edge of the bumper.

The video I posted did not include an air dam.

Steve.

Last edited:
Ooops, spoke too soon. I just read the link you posted earlier, regarding the air dam vs splitter information. Very good stuff there.

I'm going to try this one and a setback one with a splitter,I have enough aluminium left to do it.
From what I understand the splitter helps with downforce which on roundy roundy cars and road course cars is important for cornering traction. On the Dodge of ours there's 4200lb sitting on the front wheels so Im not to worried about downforce more separating the air around the truck,we'll also experiment with height from the ground to the bottom of the airdam and whats practical with suspension travel

If SCTA says it's OK, then it's OK.

By the way - beautiful work on that air dam!

Just thinking out loud, what if you "leaned" the air dam back from vertical a little bit, in order to allow the presence of a splitter on the bottom. Do you think that would be better than the vertical surface you have now?

I realize that it would be a huge re-work for your truck, but I'm thinking more of my own right now. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this topic.

I was thinking of setting my air dam back a bit (possibly angled back, with the lower edge farther back than the leading edge), with the intent of running a splitter that would extend maybe 1" past the air dam, while still being behind the leading edge of the bumper.

The video I posted did not include an air dam.

Steve.

Reading through that article you posted, the air dam and splitter combination gave the best CD, as well.

I sure hope I get to see the results of your testing at WF. Still keeping my fingers crossed for warm, dry days.

I'm bringing along some pre-cut aluminum sheet and plenty of pop-rivets for my air dam attempt. It will be an on-the-salt installation if I need it.

Yup hoping it dries out,theres always the 2 day meet down at El Mirage in November.

Elmo's too far away for me. If WF doesn't happen, I'll wait until the first meet at the Ohio mile next year.

Looks like we are going to have to wait till next year to stretch the legs properly on the salt with the dodge.
SCTA World Finals at Bonneville Salt Flats have been cancelled due to water on the salt.
Next Speedweek is only 10 months away :banghead:

Re-group for El mirage dry lake on Oct 20th and Nov 9th-10th.

You need to look at what Wayne is doing with his truck; he has several hundred hours in the dodge wind tunnel. He is a great guy, and I’ve spent quite a few hours with him on the phone working on getting the aero right as possible on Project X diesel. He has gone 270 + with a P7R5 turbo motor .

617580056_tEMv7-M_zpsbdbbaa92.jpg

Wayne's truck was a big part of us deciding to go with the 3rd gen Dodge body, his Dodge went 215mph with about 800hp on his naturally aspirated motor.
This winter we'll work on getting the truck closer to the ground and experiment with air dam design.

You need to look at what Wayne is doing with his truck; he has several hundred hours in the dodge wind tunnel. He is a great guy, and I’ve spent quite a few hours with him on the phone working on getting the aero right as possible on Project X diesel. He has gone 270 + with a P7R5 turbo motor .

the front air dam is critical , the SRT 10 front is a good start . I like a a loss bottom on the front splitter as they like to call it . use a foam bottom and allow it to grind in as the truck settles in on the track.

There's plenty of time to get it optimized before Speed Week.

Tim - best of luck if you are going to run at El Mirage!

Steve

Hey man, good to meet you at SEMA and also El Mirage.....heard you had trouble getting much past 150mph on the short course....just too much time shifting and too narrow of a powerband?? Can't wait to see how it does at Bville when it can wind out Sixth. ;)

Back