08 Dodge land speed effort.

Tim, what tires to you use? load and speed index? 20 inch?

It will dry out, probably take 5-6 days as long as it doesn't get drenched again. Fingers crossed, toes crossed! I even offered broken parts to the gods of speed (quickchange shaft snapped)
Here's to October 1st

Yeah, it sucks how much rain we've had in the area. It's almost a sure thing the Cook Shootout will be cancelled too and I'll be surprised if World Finals happens in October. From what I gather the salt is better suited for boat racing at the moment than cars. With no summer heat to dry it up, I'd bet the season is done.

For racing I use the Dunlop vintage racing tires 700x18 on the rear(32inches tall) and 600x18 on the front (30 inches tall)I have them mounted on basic steel wheels with moon covers.
I then have 90% of the tread shaved off (stops the tread peeling or chunking)and the shoulders rounded (stops them digging in if the truck spins).
In this condition they are good to 250mph. They have a nice heavy duty sidewall, we run them at 80psi.
The Dunlops are made in England.
-Tim

Tim, what tires to you use? load and speed index? 20 inch?

According to quick search those tires are very excpencive ...

anything rated for that speed starts heavily climbing in price.... like a grand a tire in some cases.

In England they go for about 350 pounds sterling, over here in the USA they go for around $550. I just sold 2 brand new 700x18 dunlops for $800 the pair.
A good quality low profile speed rated asphalt tire will be up around there too.

Now.....go and find out who is vintage road racing near you and buy their 'worn out' race tires, I usually get them for free or $100 per pair.

In England they go for about 350 pounds sterling, over here in the USA they go for around $550. I just sold 2 brand new 700x18 dunlops for $800 the pair.
A good quality low profile speed rated asphalt tire will be up around there too.

Now.....go and find out who is vintage road racing near you and buy their 'worn out' race tires, I usually get them for free or $100 per pair.

:lolly:

For me the nearest will be 2000 miles away in Germany .... , I am from middle of nowhere

Convert your truck to 1500 Dodge 5 lug wheels 5x5.5 bolt circle then you can use the stock dodge 20 and 22 inch wheels with more variety of performance tires available.

:lolly:

For me the nearest will be 2000 miles away in Germany .... , I am from middle of nowhere

I left my house yesterday at 5.00 am with the race truck on the trailer + all my stuff for racing,pulled into St George Utah at about 1PM,strapped the truck down on the Dyno at H&S. Then Ryan with Hardway performance retuned the truck for the new single turbo with outstanding results.
The plan was to stay overnight in St George then head up to the salt flats from there, but mother nature had other ideas and decided to flood the salt with water, so this morning I headed back home to Colorado instead of the salt flats.
We'll regroup for the SCTA world finals which start on Oct 1st,fingers crossed the salt dries out.
-Tim

The look on your face when you got the text saying the event was canceled made the drinks in our hands that much more worth it. At least we made some horsepower while you were here! :charger:

I would need to sell my first born for the entry fee, I've heard the entry fee for the shootout is about 8 bags of sand (8K) maybe more.

looks like mike cook's shootout will start thursday or friday? are you making that?

Yup, super pleased with how the truck performed on the dyno with the new setup and tuning.886hp on fuel! , 3 weeks till race day, think dry!

The look on your face when you got the text saying the event was canceled made the drinks in our hands that much more worth it. At least we made some horsepower while you were here! :charger:

Here's the new airdam I'm working on, I need to have it finished for next weekend. I'm hoping this helps send the air around the truck and stop it trying to go under it.I would like a splitter on the bottom of the airdam but the rules specify,the airdam can be no more than 1/4 inch past the bumper.

Attachments

• 20130913_185906_resized.jpg
    20130913_185906_resized.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
  • airdam3.jpg
    airdam3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
Block off some of that grill too. At that speed you need maybe 1/3 of the area you have now. Sheet attached to the back side of the grill should be fine. Because I don't think you are allowed any in front of it.

You could also slant that air dam back then add a small splitter to it.

The rules are pretty tight,the lower grille opening has to stay as per the rulebook, also not allowed to block airflow infront or from behind the radiator.
I could also do a small airdam off the bottom edge of the bumper and fit a splitter to that without an issue.Take both with me and try them out.
Here's a link to some handy airdam info Splitter or Air Dam Which Design is Best? | Hancha Blog

Block off some of that grill too. At that speed you need maybe 1/3 of the area you have now. Sheet attached to the back side of the grill should be fine. Because I don't think you are allowed any in front of it.

You could also slant that air dam back then add a small splitter to it.

Back