12v timing to 30 deg.

blos101

Life Saver
So I want to set my timing for my pump @ 30 degrees. When my pump is pinned it is at stock timing 15 degrees?? Correct me if I'm wrong. I want to put it @ 30 degrees. Let me know what the best way to go about this would be. I have read about using a dial indicator in the #1 cylinder dv on the pump put the engine @ tdc and then pop the gear and set it to what you want according to the dial indicator. How do you know what equals 1 degree of timing on the indicator. Please help me out. Thanks

What is your cpl# or hp rating. That will tell us what lift you need to be to get your 30 degrees.

30* Lift will be:

9.2mm/0.362" (49-State 160/175hp)

7.7mm/0.303" (CPL 1863)

7.7mm/0.303" (CPL 1968)

7.7mm/0.303" (CPL 2022/2174 180hp)

8.14mm/0.320" (CPL 2175/2023 215hp)

im at 18* and can turn 4k easy, so i can't really imagine the need for 30* 22* or maybe even 24* but 30 thats seems pretty excessive.

its ok he likes not being able to start it in the cold or spool turbo up either..

Sig says its a 2.6" class truck....if its a fully built truck 30* isnt out of the ordinary

Just pin the pump and mark TDC and rotate the motor back 1 inch and that should get you real close..

and fyi that info about running that timing isnt really true in my opinion. Im running 32* and spools fine from 1500 up with a 64/71/12 but my cam doesnt hurt that either. I just pulled a 8k trailer over donner summit in 5th with 3.54 gears at 65 and never saw over 1200 pre turbo.. opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one...

and fyi that info about running that timing isnt really true in my opinion. Im running 32* and spools fine from 1500 up with a 64/71/12 but my cam doesnt hurt that either. I just pulled a 8k trailer over donner summit in 5th with 3.54 gears at 65 and never saw over 1200 pre turbo.. opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one...

and some people are FOS....

Wow, you never saw over 1200 for EGT's!

I'll bet if you went to 40* you'd never see over 1100!

The more timing you run, the more heat gets absorbed in the cylinder and less makes to the exhaust tract.... EGT gauge. I'm surprised you didn't overheat the engine coolant running so much timing with that much load in tow.

Towing heavy with 32* of timing is not the smartest thing you could do with your truck. That said, if it's still running fine, why go through the hassle of readjusting the timing if it works fine at 32*.

I just wanted to point at that EGT gauges are even less informative the more static timing you run.

Wow, you never saw over 1200 for EGT's!

I'll bet if you went to 40* you'd never see over 1100!

The more timing you run, the more heat gets absorbed in the cylinder and less makes to the exhaust tract.... EGT gauge. I'm surprised you didn't overheat the engine coolant running so much timing with that much load in tow.

Towing heavy with 32* of timing is not the smartest thing you could do with your truck. That said, if it's still running fine, why go through the hassle of readjusting the timing if it works fine at 32*.

I just wanted to point at that EGT gauges are even less informative the more static timing you run.

this is a good point. i saw a 10 degree increase on oil temp going from 23* to 30*

Back