170cc to 250cc Injectors?

How is it that in one statement you say you have close to 1:1 ratio on the backpressure, and now you say that you don't have a gauge on it to measure back pressure?
Different exhaust manifolds, or did I miss something?

How is it that in one statement you say you have close to 1:1 ratio on the backpressure, and now you say that you don't have a gauge on it to measure back pressure?

I was thinking the exact same thing. There is no way that thing was anywhere near 1:1 before because I have seen with a mechanical guage what my truck will push for backpressure with a good tune. And I am running a bigger HP turbo than what he had to begin with. With my setup as it sits right now up to 35psi boost the backpressure stays within 4-5psi of boost then after that S480 comes to life hard backpressure skyrockets without an external gate in my system (this will be fixed for next year). I've seen up to 85psi backpressure to around 60psi boost on the street on a race tune on fuel only. No blown headgaskets yet though so that is kinda nice.
Tyler

My Bad Guys I actually trusted my scan tool. I am sorry to mislead you that is why I am doing it correctly soon.

You went S480 with a 64/71 86ar exhaust housing. I think this is what I read so far. You'll like the .70ar much nicer. And yeah just through that external gate in and you'll be rockin. GET R DONE

I ordered the parts for the S480 but they took to long and it is a motha to get the large charger out so that will change the next time the cab is off. So for now it is still a S475. My 64/71 .76AR should be here this week and will get it on as soon as possible along with the back pressure gauge.

My Bad Guys I actually trusted my scan tool. I am sorry to mislead you that is why I am doing it correctly soon.

don't feel bad. There are more people/manufactures using scan tools to read backpressure than people know. Gives a lower backpressure reading which helps their marketing.

I hit 501 rwhp with modded '90 hp' ddp's and 62/70 and tune. about 20 hp was water/meth though. my backpressure is good for 1 to 1 up to about 25 psi, after that the backpressure steadily goes up. at 50 psi (my current max constant boost) she's floating around 65 psi bp. Yes, I have a mechanical backpressure gauge right next to my mechanical boost gauge. I suspect my boost pressures are a little low with as much porting as I have done to my intake manifold, and the bigger cam though. I've still got a 62/70 small charger with the HT3B for the larger one. small charger starts dumping the exhaust at 25 psi boost. seems like a great setup so far, and it'll be on the dyno again soon now the twins are up and running.

I have been trying to learn all I can about twin set-ups.... This thread has been some of the first real 6.0 specific knowledge I've found. I am building up my truck with this as my eventual goal. I would like to thank all who have posted because I greatly appreciate all the experience and information that you share. There aren't any books or how-to videos on building 700+ 6.0's that I've found..... do you know of any good sources of turbocharging theory so I could learn more about how a twin set-up functions and not ask a bunch of stupid questions in the future. I really want a better understanding of how the different turbo's affect each other.....

thanks,
Lonny

Your questions arent stupid. If youre learning youre learning! We were all there at one time! Ask away!

Hey Lonny,

Our engines are different enough that most books won't help you out.

Some good combinations. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on the hp numbers.

600 to 750 hp set up
62mm turbo matched up with a 71,72,74mm turbo

650 to 850 hp set up
64mm turbo matched up with a 74,76,80mm turbo

800 to 1,000 hp set up
66mm turbo matched up with an 80mm, + turbo.

For our trucks, you want to find a high pressure turbo (the little one) with a turbine A/R between .65 and .75 wastegated. Most in here agree that a .70 seems to be a great option and the 75 is a little large. I personally like an external wastegate for the tuning and the fact they are usually bigger.

Your low pressure turbo (the big one) turbine A/R will vary depending on exactly what hp turbo you use. It should be anywhere between a .95 to a 1.36. This is where the experience of the person you are buying it from comes into play. There are a few companies out there willing to work with you and change out components until the set up is right, while others just say what you bought is what you get. Make sure you do your homework when you buy a compound setup.

One way to know if you have the right set up is by checking back pressure. For a street driven vehicle you are looking for a backpressure range of 1.2 / 1.3 to 1. Meaning if you boost is 40 your back pressure should be between 48 and 52. For racing applications, the backpressure should be around a 1 to 1 ratio. Since it is for racing, the fact the set up is little laggy is a acceptable because the trade off is more horsepower from less backpressure.

Now you can have the best compound set up in the world but if you don’t have the fuel or supporting components, it won’t mean anything. So, when you start upgrading your truck, think about the end goal and work towards it wisely.

Any update?

The only update I have right now is that I ran the truck at our dyno day on the 3rd and it makes 100 less HP with these huge injectors and smokes like a train. At WOT I only have 2300 PSI in my HPOP. Don't really want smaller injectors so I am going to figure out how to make more pressure. We had some ideas and now it is making me try them.

If you could only put a pressure gauge on the reservoir.....

Thanks for taking the time to share the info.... I am looking to buy the small turbo in a few months and want to make sure I spend wisely. Noticed the Texas plate, what part? Aledo here...(close to DFW)

Fort Worth, I drive by Aledo all the time on my way to Weatherford to see John Robinson (Texas Diesel Power) :)