170cc to 250cc Injectors?

Thanks for taking the time to share the info.... I am looking to buy the small turbo in a few months and want to make sure I spend wisely. Noticed the Texas plate, what part? Aledo here...(close to DFW)

Whats a small turbo? My set up might come up for sale soon....

If your HPOP pressure is dropping off, you will need to generate more feed pressure before you see any resolution in your HP/smoke issue. I think at the beginning of this thread, someone said 225's or so were the limit with the stock HPOP. I think it is a little higher, but there is so much variability within the injecotr-builder community, that one guys 250's might be another's 300's or whatever. That means you could well be trying to feed injectors that need more high pressure oil flow. If your pref=ssure is dropping off, that means your injectors aren't able to fire as energetically as they should, and that explains the power detriment. And the smoke. The only solution I know of is a dual HPOP, the 2nd usually run off of a pulley. A single unit has been worked on, but I don't know anyone who has it reliably working.

Lower HPOP pressures are also not good for the injectors, so you don't want to run it hard that way. I'd work on the HPOP 1st, then re-assess your dyno numbers (they will probably improve), and then you can see if you need more air or not.

I am doing a few things on the ranger to help out the situation, so lets see if it works, but its not something you can do without tearing the motor completely down to bare block, so its not a fix for everyone. PSDPlayer told us about it, so he gets the credit, but we are also doing a few other things. First and foremost getting more LP oil to the pump to ensure the pump has enough oil in the reservoir in the first place.

From what I have seen Swamps injectors flow a little bit better than they are rated. 05 and up HPOP's are good for a little over 200cc injectors. Keep in mind as stated previously not all injectors flow what they are advertised at, so this applies to a 200+cc injector that actually flows 200+cc's.

I am doing a few things on the ranger to help out the situation, so lets see if it works, but its not something you can do without tearing the motor completely down to bare block, so its not a fix for everyone. PSDPlayer told us about it, so he gets the credit, but we are also doing a few other things. First and foremost getting more LP oil to the pump to ensure the pump has enough oil in the reservoir in the first place.

Yeah, what a complete pain in the ass this is.

If your HPOP pressure is dropping off, you will need to generate more feed pressure before you see any resolution in your HP/smoke issue. I think at the beginning of this thread, someone said 225's or so were the limit with the stock HPOP. I think it is a little higher, but there is so much variability within the injecotr-builder community, that one guys 250's might be another's 300's or whatever. That means you could well be trying to feed injectors that need more high pressure oil flow. If your pref=ssure is dropping off, that means your injectors aren't able to fire as energetically as they should, and that explains the power detriment. And the smoke. The only solution I know of is a dual HPOP, the 2nd usually run off of a pulley. A single unit has been worked on, but I don't know anyone who has it reliably working.

Lower HPOP pressures are also not good for the injectors, so you don't want to run it hard that way. I'd work on the HPOP 1st, then re-assess your dyno numbers (they will probably improve), and then you can see if you need more air or not.

Yes, I know about the HPOP problems and we have a few ideas that are going to be tried. I hadn't realized that the HPOP could drain the reservoir on the Low Pressure side.

Yes, I know about the HPOP problems and we have a few ideas that are going to be tried. I hadn't realized that the HPOP could drain the reservoir on the Low Pressure side.

Seriously? Hell it's even in a ford service bulletin. If there is a large enough leak in the high pressure system it WILL use all available low pressure oil. Leak for them. Big injectors for us.

Well I got a new tune and it seems to run a lot better. Sorry for not being as knowledgeable as you guys.:bow: That is why I am on here and started this thread. I know of a person running 285cc and getting 315cc out of them with tuning and you all know him also. So how is 225cc the limit? I am not the service tech at our shop and don't claim to be all knowing. I have done all the work on my truck but any one can turn wrenches and make turbo kits.
We started playing with my truck because we seem to be happy with our dodge stuff and like challenges.

The ammount of oil used by the injector goes up as the plungers are cut down to allow more fuel inside. So if you had large rails and then all the oil was being dumped off by increased pulse width you will start to drop off in pressure since your volume to fill has gone up. Gotta keep the reservoir full and pressurized. Then take a look at how the oil gets to the hpop. Then out of the pump to the injector.

SO Doug, would the smaller rails like the 03 rails actually be better if you can keep the volume up? Less space to fill? You know where I am getting at.

SO Doug, would the smaller rails like the 03 rails actually be better if you can keep the volume up? Less space to fill? You know where I am getting at.

I don't think so. Considering you would have a smaller volume of oil to have on hand to fill the injector. It would be like having a 1 gallon air tank with a 2 stage air compressor.

Here is a good analogy,

try running (10) 10 gallon a minute sprinklers from a 3/8 water line. The water lines stays full, but the pressure goes down to nothing because it cannot flow enough to stay pressurized and keep up.