2.5 Rules

What do you think you should do about it?

Caleb

Right the rules to eliminate the situation. What is wrong with hanging weights?

I mean the guys are setting the truck up to pull, a weight bracket can be easily removed and weights put on it.

some sort of rule along the lines of stock bumper or no excesive weighted bumper.

i think you would be able to tell the difference from someone who has a custom offroad bumper and from someone who built a bumber to weigh a lot.

and the tech guys should check for it too

Yes, you are correct, but someone will look for a loop hole, say they have to have that for their snowplow etc.

If your limiting the style bumper you could be excluding someone from pulling.

The agreement around here was that the weight was allowed but had to be "Easily Removable". With that being said my weight box is full of 100# lead blocks and bolts on with 6 bolts.

are "stock" class around here is no hanging weight and no traction bars, AND no trailering into the pits, must be drove in.

we hang weight behind the bumper and it isnt visable. everyone seem to be fine with that.

No track bar rule is bull. All that's going to do create carnage. Then people won't want to pull with the added chance of breakage!

yes allow traction bars and trailering, its bs if you gotta drive a couple hours or however far you are away to go pick up a trailer cuz you broke a "u-joint" or something small

are "stock" class around here is no hanging weight and no traction bars, AND no trailering into the pits, must be drove in.

we hang weight behind the bumper and it isnt visable. everyone seem to be fine with that.

this is "work stock" not bone stock.

If you are talking ISP, the only rule that is enforced is no hanging weights. anything else goes. They don't open hoods or look under the truck. I ran last year by the rules and didn't run traction bars. I'll never make that mistake again. I ended up destroying a lot of parts because of no bars.

This is pulling not driving down the road. Hanging weights is something that is done when you pull i.e. let'em hang

well that depends on the isp pull you go to, some there idsn o thech and you can run tbars, stops, and aftermarket bumpers. but others are more strick. alot say you can have an aftermarket bumper but you need an ispection hole to prove its not solid and it 1/4 thick or less. is my understanding

There are two issues with hanging weight.
-1: 1200#s worth of tractor weights hanging on the front of a truck does not "appear" stock, to Jim Bob sitting the the stands contemplating hooking to the sled. And because it does not "appear" stock, Jim Bob decides hes not going to hook against a "pulling truck."
-2: The farther forward from the center line of the front axle, the more leverage weight has to keep the front end down, thus making it more effective. IE: 800#s hanging 60" in front of the axle from a weight bar, is better than twice as effective as 800#s tucked up under the core support inside of 30" forward of the axle.

The point is to have an entry level class that a person can mod a truck and make horsepower and not have to run 2.6" just because he ditched his VGT turbo for an S300. Its intent is to get new blood into the sport, more trucks! The class should always appear as if a truck rolled in off the street and hooked to a sled.

If you allow hanging weight on a weight rack, you further seperate purpose built trucks (which are inevitable) from once or twice a year TRUE street trucks. The concession has been made allowing "Ballast" as long as it does not extend beyond the drip line of the truck. This lets Dmaxs and 2nd Gen Dodges fatten up to hit 8000#s, where most CRs and Fords sit close to anyway.

Caleb

Wow I applaud your understanding of the sport and your ability to look past your own truck for the betterment of pulling. I wish you could invoke this knowledge on some of the guys in this area.

-1: 1200#s worth of tractor weights hanging on the front of a truck does not "appear" stock, to Jim Bob sitting the the stands contemplating hooking to the sled. And because it does not "appear" stock, Jim Bob decides hes not going to hook against a "pulling truck."
-2: The farther forward from the center line of the front axle, the more leverage weight has to keep the front end down, thus making it more effective. IE: 800#s hanging 60" in front of the axle from a weight bar, is better than twice as effective as 800#s tucked up under the core support inside of 30" forward of the axle.

The point is to have an entry level class that a person can mod a truck and make horsepower and not have to run 2.6" just because he ditched his VGT turbo for an S300. Its intent is to get new blood into the sport, more trucks! The class should always appear as if a truck rolled in off the street and hooked to a sled.

If you allow hanging weight on a weight rack, you further seperate purpose built trucks (which are inevitable) from once or twice a year TRUE street trucks. The concession has been made allowing "Ballast" as long as it does not extend beyond the drip line of the truck. This lets Dmaxs and 2nd Gen Dodges fatten up to hit 8000#s, where most CRs and Fords sit close to anyway.

Caleb

Well coming from a guy that rides behind all these different setups, i can definitely tell you it makes a big difference in my judgement of a class if I see hanging weights on "street trucks", ill add another weight if I see them. I got drug sideways out a gate 1 night by making the mistake of setting for "stock trucks" with hanging weights.....

all workstock pulls around here only allow weight in bed, we have stuck it in other places and not got caught though

If you are talking ISP, the only rule that is enforced is no hanging weights. anything else goes. They don't open hoods or look under the truck. I ran last year by the rules and didn't run traction bars. I'll never make that mistake again. I ended up destroying a lot of parts because of no bars.

yes im talking ISP. i agree last year there was very little teching going on, which suprised me and no one complained. suspension setup is key and can be done, been there done that.

btw you have prolly seen me, i used to be with scott fulrath when he ran superstock with the white dodge, we have since parted ways and im with another buddy in altered, white chevy gasser. stop by and say hi at a pull some time, im at every one.

Caleb

My thoughts exactly. WS 2.5 class has to be removed enuf from 2.6 that fans can tell the diff and Jim Bob can watch a truck like his and say 'My truck can do that!!!'

I don't see the problem with hanging weights. Your going to have traction bars, safety equipment, and suspension stops anyway. This isn't going to be bone stock trucks because they won't bother with safety stuff if they just want to hook once or twice. Those trucks belong in a bone stock truck class.

I don't see the problem with hanging weights. Your going to have traction bars, safety equipment, and suspension stops anyway. This isn't going to be bone stock trucks because they won't bother with safety stuff if they just want to hook once or twice. Those trucks belong in a bone stock truck class.

Seems there is some confusion of if this is an entry level class or a class to have trucks that will exploit all of the gray areas of the rules.

If it is truly an entry level class to get folks hooking from the stands, I would hope folks don't build a truck for this class.

If it is a class to bridge the gap between 2.6 and workstock then probably should allow weights.

Last edited:
800#s hanging 60" in front of the axle from a weight bar, is better than twice as effective as 800#s tucked up under the core support inside of 30" forward of the axle.

Someone didn't pay attention in high school physics.

It's people like these people posting that are dragging the sport down. They need all this cool pulling stuff so they drug it down out of the 2.8 class to the 2.6 street. Now the 2.6 class is outta hand so guys are dropping to workstock bur still want all the 2.6 goodies. We need to stop this cycle. If you want to look Like a big boy then grow some balls and get in the phucking class you should be in. Other wise it will be the new 2.6 class.

There seems to be a bunch of low self esteem Pullers out their that just have to win at all cost even if that means fukkin up everybody else's day!!

Tim

Last edited: