2011 NHRDA World Finals - Location

How about rolling it into November 2011, the weekend that SEMA ends. SEMA runs from Tuesday to Friday. Then Saturday have the finals.

Love the idea, only problem is may have some bad roads getting there at that time of year, especially for the trucks coming from the North. On my way to the Eastern Regional NHRDA finals last year in late Oct, I got into a hell of an ice and sleet storm in eastern Colorado. Lots of trucks in the ditch.

Yes that is true. We might not be able to get our trucks out of here by then. Even in October it can be a crap shoot from time to time....

A few guys are whining about were it is, ohh that's to far, or I'll only go if its closer, how many of you guys have even attended all your divisional events and didn't say oh that one is 300miles away that's to far. I'll go to the next one. This sport isn't going to grow if we don't go to as many events as we can. When you do go bring your family, freinds. You guys want fans in the seat. Well bring a crew with ya.

No matter were it is I'm a min of 2500 plus miles away. We'll be there supporting diesel motorsports

A few guys are whining about were it is, ohh that's to far, or I'll only go if its closer, how many of you guys have even attended all your divisional events and didn't say oh that one is 300miles away that's to far. I'll go to the next one. This sport isn't going to grow if we don't go to as many events as we can. When you do go bring your family, freinds. You guys want fans in the seat. Well bring a crew with ya.

No matter were it is I'm a min of 2500 plus miles away. We'll be there supporting diesel motorsports

I totally agree with you Shawn. In an effort to make events accessable to a broader range of competitors the NHRDA is scheduling events in a wider area of each division. This means that attending every event within a specific division will require some driving. For myself, this year, with the exception of Phoenix, I attended every event possible in Divisions 1, 2, and 6. Living in the Seattle area, the only events close to me were Mission (D6), Bremerton (D1), and Portland (D1). All the rest were at least 600 miles - Edmonton (840), Redding (600), Sacramento (820), Douglas (1100), and Pueblo (1400). The World Finals was 1800. Last year I competed in 12 events, drove over 16,000 miles just getting to the races. Granted, I am retired now but in 2006 I made every race in a 16 race season on the west coast while I was still working. It all boils down to dedication, not only to racing, but to the NHRDA as well. If the event is too far away then don't go but don't complain either.

Jim

I think we should all have as good an attitude about this as Shawn.

I drove about 16,000 miles as well heading to racing events this year (not counting flying into 3 more events which would have added another 10k miles). Incidentally, Shawn was at all of those events except the ones when his truck was completely blown up and still being put back together.

I believe track selection plays a big part as well. Im talking for every event not just the finals. There are tracks out there that are in much better areas/demographics and are not used to their advantage. Go to the right places attract more attention brings many more competitors. Marketing plays such a huge part to the general public not just racers. The only way this sport will grow is if we can pack the stands. So promotion from the inside will play a big part. Simple things like flyers and volunteers to hand them out at local events and auto stores would be a huge help. Not just 1 month before an event im talking 3-6 months before so people can plan and make time. Bring in more people the payouts get larger. Also utlizing free marketing strategies more heavily. People poke fun at Facebook but when a half a billion people are intertwined on one website you can get some serious exposure there. Give more to get more the people and money is out there we need to go get it!

I believe track selection plays a big part as well. Im talking for every event not just the finals. There are tracks out there that are in much better areas/demographics and are not used to their advantage. Go to the right places attract more attention brings many more competitors. Marketing plays such a huge part to the general public not just racers. The only way this sport will grow is if we can pack the stands. So promotion from the inside will play a big part. Simple things like flyers and volunteers to hand them out at local events and auto stores would be a huge help. Not just 1 month before an event im talking 3-6 months before so people can plan and make time. Bring in more people the payouts get larger. Also utlizing free marketing strategies more heavily. People poke fun at Facebook but when a half a billion people are intertwined on one website you can get some serious exposure there. Give more to get more the people and money is out there we need to go get it!

Dude if you have all the answers maybe you should step up and help out more, better yet you're doin a lot of talking of how and what todo to make it better and I didn't even see your truck at worlds

I agree on the promotion side of things, but it isn't always the be-all end-all. For the ISSPRO Northwest Nationals this year, we worked closely with NHRDA and did all of the above (flyers in local stores, radio ads, displays of race trucks around town before the event). We were ignored by the local news media (I'm sure due to the non-"green" image in this town of tree-huggers), but we put around 5,000 people in the stands. There were literally hundreds of modified diesel pickups in the parking lot. For all of that, we had fewer trucks racing than the NHRDA event in Douglas Wyoming (population 5288). The only entity that directly benefitted from the tons of fans in the stands was the City of Portland, which gets all of the gate fees. Sure, NHRDA and the sponsors all had a large audience for our message, but only a tiny percentage seemed interested in competing. We have some ideas to try to improve that percentage next year, and I'd be interested to hear anyone's ideas on here. One thing I am going to try to push is a "hard luck" award, consisting of cash & gift certificates, which will be awarded to the person racing a true daily driver who has the worst carnage. This is intended to help convince the guys that are afraid to break their daily driver by racing it. If we get this really well organized, the prize could be sponsored by local shops at each stop along the "tour", and if it goes unclaimed then it gets added to the next event's prize. Who knows, if it gets big enough you might have guys TRYING to break their truck to claim it!

Dude if you have all the answers maybe you should step up and help out more, better yet you're doin a lot of talking of how and what todo to make it better and I didn't even see your truck at worlds

Wow, someone piss in your cornflakes today Shawn?
Maybe we can't all devote time to traveling 2000+kms to a race or several in a year.....

I work hard and long hours todo it, I've worked 15hrs a day everyday since I got back from kansas, I finally get a few days off starting wednesday

I'm just saying, don't whine and cry about it, if you haven't made an honest attempt to attend more events

I couldnt agree more. Hell I made it to 3 events and my truck wasnt even running. This coming year will hopefully be alot better!

I wasnt crying or *****ing just offering an opinion. I wasnt at worlds becuase my truck was in peices and some people did not live up to their word and was not able to get it together in time. When it comes to promoting well i promoted the hell out of all the events and tried to get as many people to come as i could along with joining the NHRDA. So get you panties out of a bunch numnuts. What i am doing is offering my help and i did so throughout the season along with promoting the NHRDA on my truck and my websites so before you tell me what i need to do more you should maybe do some homework on me and realize i have the sports best intrests in mind and help as much as i can.

I didn't make any out of division races but all the races in division 1 were all drives for me and Douglas i towed white out to the race and back to Boise while i raced in Douglas. My goal is to make more out of division races next year and thats me driving to the races and home.

I will make more events next year. It is hard doing it sometimes owning 2 companies and about to have two kids under 2 years old. I made an honest attempt on 4 events and only made 1 sanctioned diesel event due to carnage or schedule conflicts. Oddly I could have made worlds just no invite to race understandably.

Sorry guys we have been swamped getting ready for Sema and working on next years schedule.

We do appreciate all the input and I just want to say that we need to remember that we are all on the same team (Diesel Motorsports) and that there is a lot of passion among us and that the bottom line we all want this to go to the next level.

So lets keep giving good input and move forward in a positive way, and I think we all agree that we need to support all Diesel events whether they be by a sanctioning body or Outlaw and turn this sport into a National Pastime.:cheer:

There are other ways to try and grow the sport as well. I like going to local events and being the only diesel...it opens peoples eyes about what these trucks can do. Not that mine is fast (high 11's) but it does turn a few heads when no one expects it. I can count atleast 4 or 5 people that now have diesels and are catching the mod bug because we started talking at the track...

Just because some of us did not make it to worlds does not mean we are not dedicated and do not support the sport. We are all in different situations with family, work, money, health etc...sometimes it all falls into place and sometimes it doesn't.

Just my .02

Paul