215 pump

i like the 0 plate with ramp at the bottom. its a good starter tuning plate anyways. try to use just enough fuel to get the charger going without over fueling it- slide it forward until fuel comes on at the right time(having the right plate profile/length of ramp helps here). keep the charger on top. its worth spending countless hours on a plate! people put larger turbos on without changing the plate/afc are crazy! you dont know what your missing out on!

with advice like "tune it and it will come" it's hard to imagine why anyone would just choose the simple route.

I have never had anything good come of plate profiles shaped like the borders of Texas although i've not spent countless hours and money grinding 9 different profiles and dynoing with my butt or at the track.

I picked up 60 hp with a plate swap

I picked up 60 hp with a plate swap

I know you and others are advocates of plates. I've never noticed any sotp gains from playing around with plates and had I picked up 60hp or anywhere close a difference should have been felt, a very noticeable one at that.

Perhaps you could share the specifics with the OP.

I know you and others are advocates of plates. I've never noticed any sotp gains from playing around with plates and had I picked up 60hp or anywhere close a difference should have been felt, a very noticeable one at that.

hey nick i just got my truck back together and have been playing around with different plates. i thought a #6 plate was holding me back so i put in a #100 plate that i made and i found that it was drowning out the turbo and really didnt want to break the tires loose in fourth gear, then i put the #6 plate back in and its like i found a sweet spot cause now i can get sideways in fourth gear at sixty to sixty five mph. you dont really need a dyno to get a truck running good just need time and patience.

Except for BPonci, it seems like the others with good results from fiddling with the fuel plate settings have 215 pumps with the timing retard notches. Has anyone played around on the dyno with a 160 or 180 pump and picked up hp running with a custom plate in lieu of plate-less?

It takes more than just playing with the plate. You have to really understand how the truck works. Having the right set up is key for major hp gains

i have not played on a dyno, but can tell you a 180 pump makes noticable gains/less heat. Any pump should

i thought a #6 plate was holding me back so i put in a #100 plate that i made and i found that it was drowning out the turbo and really didnt want to break the tires loose in fourth gear, then i put the #6 plate back in and its like i found a sweet spot cause now i can get sideways in fourth gear at sixty to sixty five mph. you dont really need a dyno to get a truck running good just need time and patience.[/QUOTE]
The nose on the 6 is very soft compared to the 100. you had patience and found the "proper presentation of fuel" air should always be ahead of the fuel. Good job! That's what I have been saying for years. The gov nose height and afc along with a good plate with a little patience will always prevail over a plateless tune.

gov nose height? have any insight on adjusting this? ..ive always thought mine didn't ride high enough WOT

So it seems like a #6 plate seems to be the best overall plate for power. I've seen lots of references to it in several threads.

i thought a #6 plate was holding me back so i put in a #100 plate that i made and i found that it was drowning out the turbo and really didnt want to break the tires loose in fourth gear, then i put the #6 plate back in and its like i found a sweet spot cause now i can get sideways in fourth gear at sixty to sixty five mph. you dont really need a dyno to get a truck running good just need time and patience.The nose on the 6 is very soft compared to the 100. you had patience and found the "proper presentation of fuel" air should always be ahead of the fuel. Good job! That's what I have been saying for years. The gov nose height and afc along with a good plate with a little patience will always prevail over a plateless tune.

Couldn't have said it better my self Brad. Its funny we just talked about this a few weeks ago at Drakes.

The nose on the 6 is very soft compared to the 100. you had patience and found the "proper presentation of fuel" air should always be ahead of the fuel. The gov nose height and afc along with a good plate with a little patience will always prevail over a plateless tune.

It would be hard to get air ahead of the fuel, since the turbocharger is driven by heat, which is produced by combustion. And no, a plate will not always make more hp than without.

The reason these arguements are still around is because of the different applicatons and the differences between setup. Hp is a product of power vs time, some people care about sustaining hp rather than whipping rollers for a few seconds, one day this may be understood.

The real issue about the emission style plunger is lift to port closure, and how it affects injection rate. With increased rack travel comes an increase in injected quantity, but if this additional quantity is spread over a much larger window of time, it greatly diminishes the injection rate. To compare, it would be the equivelant to increasing duration on a Common Rail injection system beyond the point of making power gains. Fuel injected late in the combustion cycle often makes heat and smoke without power, that is what is really being discussed here.

In certain cases this type of long or heavy injection rate would be desired, as in the case of using N20. Is the #6 plate the "magical" cure, I don't think so, can it work in many applications, yes. As stated previously, the AFC controls much more area of the fuel curve than the fuel plate profile, but over extending the rack can show a decrease in hp in many instances.

Last edited:
As far as AFC tuning is concerned, the key is to find the spring combination that works best for each individual's setup. The spring rate controls the amount of fuel at certain manifold pressure, which will depict the fuel curve, it's that simple.

So the governor is out of the equation when tuning? Heat helps drive the turbo on bottom but will only be so efficient on top.

Seems like afc can do the majority of tuning, especially after you have the exact setup desired. But that can take time. To much DV will produce heat also. I think this is where a plate comes into play for the most part. To get exact fuel/air/timing setup takes alot of time-experience. IMO, any setup can be better

The governor lever only comes into play if a plate with a defuel profile is used. Once the governor lever reaches the nose of the plate, an increase in throttle input will force it to climb the profile. The governor arm height will need to be adjusted to allow the lever to raise above the nose, and reach the deep part of the profile.

Brad, If I understand this right maybe I should pull my plate. We should try it! Sounds like they are pretty pointless

Since the boys in California don't read good, let me highlight it for you.

Is the #6 plate the "magical" cure, I don't think so, can it work in many applications, yes. As stated previously, the AFC controls much more area of the fuel curve than the fuel plate profile, but over extending the rack can show a decrease in hp in many instances.

so basically, if your setup requires x amount of fueling, and y amount of heat to perform but you wanted to limit y on top, that's where a plate comes into play..

seems like a soft afc spring and custom plate might take you a little farther.. especially if the truck is on the street. you have more options..

regardless, tuning shouldn't be ignored. everytime my setup is changed i tune. talking about fuel plates/afc/starwheel will never get old in my book

Last edited: