389 glider build

I thought the point was you could use pre-emissions engines and such? The truck had to be composed of a certain percentage of old reman parts to meet the requirements.

Not arguing just curious maybe what I heard was wrong.

I was wondering about this.... info??? :pop:

If its what I think it is, you will need someone you trust with Cat ET. You will probably need it to dial in the speedo anyway.
Its just a simple change. They shouldn't have to modify anything but those two or three parameters.
I'm not familiar with them flashing the dash module. I just work on the yellow stuff.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

I thought the point was you could use pre-emissions engines and such? The truck had to be composed of a certain percentage of old reman parts to meet the requirements.

Dafuq?

Must have drank his breakfast this morning.

Great thread guys... enjoying the read & all the "lingo " . I built a butt load of w9 gliders way back in the 4mg & 7fb days ...frames were blank & had to drill & lay out suspension . it built a lot of character in me. Good luck to you on the build . Are any of y'all old enough to remember the 4mg ?

The company I wrenched for a few years ago had a couple trucks with 4mg engines

Depends on the way you use remember. I don't recognize the 7fb. I put a btm and transducer on a 4ck today. I have replaced pumps and governor components in a few now. 4mgs being in that mix. We have a 3zj apart right now. Mechanicals are an art of their own. I am fully an electronics man though. Learning the Bosch system on the KBK is a hoot.

I talked to allstate they said they have to program the dash?
You should be able to do it with Cat ET. You need to go into the inputs/outputs and turn on/off what you need. Buddy has done 2 Pete gliders with 2 more sitting in his lot waiting. He said you'll just have to play with it but nothing in the cab controller needs touched.

How much longer are they offering gliders? I keep hearing another year and they won't be offered anymore. Anyone know any truth to this?

So you can't put non-emissions engines in them?

What's the scoop Loren?

Oh you most definitely can put a pre-emission motor in them. If you wanted I'm pretty sure you could order one with a wiring harness for a 3406B Cat. I was just making fun of the guy for trying to pick a fight with people who were agreeing with him. Hence the drinking breakfast comment. LoL For as much as the guberment regulates emissions it surprises me how much you can legally get away with.

In order to classify as a glider, by law it can only be supplied with two of the three major power train components.
You can buy the truck minus engine and supply your engine.
people do this to defeat tier 4 emissions.

We were told 2013 is the last year for gliders.
To conflict with that information, a global manufacturer has alluded to entering the market in 2014 and supplying their already available non tier four final engines for these gliders.

IMO if that happens, they will be offering the most robust engines available on the market.

Some of you might like to know, CAT is now offering Eaton clutches and transmissions at reduced prices and with 4 year warranties when coupled with OPT engines. (Aimed at gliders)
If your dealers don't know, they aren't listening to the right people.

Oh you most definitely can put a pre-emission motor in them. If you wanted I'm pretty sure you could order one with a wiring harness for a 3406B Cat. I was just making fun of the guy for trying to pick a fight with people who were agreeing with him. Hence the drinking breakfast comment. LoL For as much as the guberment regulates emissions it surprises me how much you can legally get away with.

The oldest you can order them wired for is a 70pin Cat. Kenworth said it has to be spec'd for an '04 and up engine but the harness is the same from the 1999 2WS to the 2004 MBN. So you could install whatever you want.

Fitzgerald glider kits will build one set up for a Cummins 855 or a B-model.....I've personally seen a 2012 389 with a 3406B in it.......just pointing out that there are options besides the dealer.....:D

Fitzgerald glider kits will build one set up for a Cummins 855 or a B-model.....I've personally seen a 2012 389 with a 3406B in it.......just pointing out that there are options besides the dealer.....:D
Not sure why anyone would want an 855 or a B for that matter. In the HP and drivablity war the E models spank the B's ass.

yfz450r I think I found what you need to mess with. I put ET on "trainer" instead of actually hooking it to a truck out of laziness so some of the "inputs/Outputs" will be different. If you were closer I would come and do it for you but I'm about an hour west of Columbus. If you had a USB Link I could probably do it remotely.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ET.jpg
    ET.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
I was wondering about this.... info??? :pop:

They explained it below.

Actually I specifically stated that I was not trying to argue :bang

Just thought maybe I had misunderstood the whole idea behind a glider or heard wrong. I see where you guys were going with it now :cheer:

Not sure why anyone would want an 855 or a B for that matter. In the HP and drivablity war the E models spank the B's ass.

yfz450r I think I found what you need to mess with. I put ET on "trainer" instead of actually hooking it to a truck out of laziness so some of the "inputs/Outputs" will be different. If you were closer I would come and do it for you but I'm about an hour west of Columbus. If you had a USB Link I could probably do it remotely.
attachment.php

Oh you know there is always someone that wants to cut a hole in their floor to hook up the mechanical linkage. It is the same doucher mentality that tells people they need to drive with their mirrors out on their dodges.

What's not to like about complete inframes on an 855 every 400k? Or maybe it's the ability to do it in a weekend in a truckstop parking lot. LoL

Thanks ill check it out an see what I come up with an get back with you jfaulkner..

Back