47re won't shift out of first

Do you have to drop the valve body to get the 2nd gear servo out? I'm really leaning towards that now. I also think the pressure loss from that might be why it takes a couple seconds to shift into 3rd when it does want to work. does that make any sense?

I have been fighting with my valve body too. Ya gotta get the strut off to get the servo out. Maybe pulling the vb and check it for loose plates that cover shift valves and governor plugs might be a good too.

I have been fighting with my valve body too. Ya gotta get the strut off to get the servo out. Maybe pulling the vb and check it for loose plates that cover shift valves and governor plugs might be a good too.

I wouldn't even know what I'm looking at.

This has some good pics for yahttp://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-faqs-diys-and-how-to-s/304364-diy-46re-transmission-rebuild-work-in-progress.html

This video is outdate but follow what he does for pulling valve body, I know its cornyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJwOL05K-GQ

There is a port to check pressure at the 2nd gear sevo. If you decide to pull vb make sure all the torx bolts are tight on vb. Loose bolts can cause pressure losses and make it do weird things.

There is a port to check pressure at the 2nd gear sevo. If you decide to pull vb make sure all the torx bolts are tight on vb. Loose bolts can cause pressure losses and make it do weird things.

Thanks man. I didn't even think of that, I suppose it's possible that one or more has already loosened up also. I'm still banking on a seal though.

Before I forget, this valvebody has never liked to shift out of first if I'm over about 3k rpm's. Could that point to something?

And would it be worth it even check pressure at the servo? I already know it's losing pressure, but would that really tell me for sure where it's being lost at?

Thanks man. I didn't even think of that, I suppose it's possible that one or more has already loosened up also. I'm still banking on a seal though.

Before I forget, this valvebody has never liked to shift out of first if I'm over about 3k rpm's. Could that point to something?

And would it be worth it even check pressure at the servo? I already know it's losing pressure, but would that really tell me for sure where it's being lost at?

Why not grab a stock VB from someone to try out?

Well, it worked for about 6 miles, then I lost 3rd, then 2nd. I did manage to get it back into 3rd once, and now overdrive and lock up are no problem. would that mean whatever controls second, and maybe third, is leaking pressure?

And I didn't think about this until after I had it apart, but on the governor housing the soft gasket goes between the governor body and the thin metal sheet right?

No

Gasket goes between the center aluminum part of the vb, and the gov body where the solenoid goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not grab a stock VB from someone to try out?

I don't know too many people with a spare stock vb sitting around, and doubt anyone would let me borrow one on good faith lol.

No

Gasket goes between the center aluminum part of the vb, and the gov body where the solenoid goes.

I'm not sure, but I think we said the same thing? Mine has a thing metal sheet thats the exact same shape as the gov body and gasket. The gasket goes between those?

Last edited:
I don't know too many people with a spare stock vb sitting around, and doubt anyone would let me borrow one on good faith lol.

I'm not sure, but I think we said the same thing? Mine has a thing metal sheet thats the exact same shape as the gov body and gasket. The gasket goes between those?

The thin sheet is exactly the same size as the gasket and comes off without taking anything other then the governor solenoid part off? If so then that's part of the Transgo kit. I didnt read this whole thread, just the last page or 2. I can check tonight to be sure what side that sheet goes on.

I also may have a vb you can try

Once you pull the valve body you can air test the 2nd gear servo and watch it Also see if there is a major leak where you would lose pressure.

8d7ad16dc6500b8ba9e990aa054b1b66.jpg

There is what we were talking about

I would have sent you a VB but my brothers crack ***** ex GF stole it for scrap metal

Once you pull the valve body you can air test the 2nd gear servo and watch it Also see if there is a major leak where you would lose pressure.
How do you do that?
8d7ad16dc6500b8ba9e990aa054b1b66.jpg

There is what we were talking about

Ok I got it right
I would have sent you a VB but my brothers crack ***** ex GF stole it for scrap metal
Lol no problem

What does the smaller hole do? Obviously restrict flow, but does that keep the Gov solenoid happier?

I was curious too