5.9 gone now 6.7

Don't want to hijack the thread but I have to wonder if the older cr ecm will fire the 6.7 injector without any issues.

I'm have one Hell of a cold start issue.

Coughs and smoked something nasty when cold.
The grid heater is working.

If I kick the idle up to 1200ish it smooths out within say 20 seconds but that 20 seconds is bad. Raw fuel coming out the tail pipe.
I plugged in the block heater over night and the engine was at 100deg before attempting to start.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I thought of that when it was starting morning.
I'll bet I can get one by end of day or in the morning if all else fails.

Iirc, Shane at Motorsport or someone said that the ecm can fire the 6.7 injectors, but there is a voltage differential of around 50% or so. Possibly part of the reason for your cold start issues.

Hit him up, as I am sure it was either him or Les that brought it up.

Is most certainly tied to the grid heater/voltage issue.

Grid heater is un-plugged and is starting fine. .

Not looked into it any further at this point, it's too freakin cold out there.

I did check the battery's and alternator, all are good.

Last edited:
Any up dates on how it runs , fuel mileage and power. I'm thinking of going 6.7 in my 03 but have to use all 03 stuf for emissions.

Any up dates on how it runs , fuel mileage and power. I'm thinking of going 6.7 in my 03 but have to use all 03 stuf for emissions.

What do you mean 'use all 03 stuff for emmisions'. What would you be using? There's some stuff you can't really use off a 5.9 on a 6.7 such as the 5.9 intake horn, he341, and so forth.

Nothing to report on mileage just yet.
It runs great, pulls freakin awesome.

I need a bigger turbo though.
I'm running a 62/64/12 T3 and though it Spools instantly I feel there is lots left on the table.
I have a 66/71/.81 T4 at the shop I just need to find a T4 manifold. Thinking of going Steed and having him add a external waste gate port for me.
Also need to see about a 3rd gen cover for it.

What are you thinking you need to use as to emissions?

I'm thinking it would have been nice to have a grid heater today.

It started by wasn't happy.

taqade7a.jpg

For emissions in California they do a visual,snap test,and a computer test. It would have to look stock. It's does depend on the teck . I have a 62 silver bullet that will be replacing twins.(may take the polish off to look stock) I'm looking for a good driver and mileage .

For emissions in California they do a visual,snap test,and a computer test. It would have to look stock. It's does depend on the teck . I have a 62 silver bullet that will be replacing twins.(may take the polish off to look stock) I'm looking for a good driver and mileage .

I think you could use the entire 6.7 including the intake horn, a stainless 3rd gen t4 exhaust manifold and box stock 66mm charger and you'll be set.

Can you use. 03 intake,intake heater, and valve cover . It's has to look like a stock 03 Dodge.

You can but not preferred. It will be a bit restrictive by using the air horn. The air intake yes. And the valve cover yes.

Back