5.9 gone now 6.7

So the 5.9/6.7 hard start deal.

Ended up being tight valves. :woohoo:

HAd Gillette check the injectors today and they said they were like new, flowed great

Never re adjusted the valves after the new HG and APR's I guess. Not me BTW that was a different shop. I made the mistake of assUming that they would have adjusted them after the ARP's were installed and just never checked.

I suspect it will spool and boost better as well now though I've not been able to go drive it just yet.

Puts new meaning to the KISS rule for me.

Good info here. If mine ever grenades this will be the plan.

Did you change out the stock cam on the 6.7?

Good info here. If mine ever grenades this will be the plan.

Did you change out the stock cam on the 6.7?

I didn't.
Thought about it but just getting the 6.7 was a stretch. I could have picked up a low mile 5.9 for $2k less but I REALLY wanted the 6.7.

To date I've added the Industrial Injection 100hp tips, Glacier Diesel grid heater delete and their intake horn and grid heater relocator (waste of money) Industrial Injection Silver 66, DPS manifold, FASS 150 w/a Heliamin (spelling is wrong) sump, Amsoil bypass filter, ARP 625's and a new head gasket. Modified the Jake brake to work with the Silver 66 also.
Lots of other stuff on truck in other areas but I think that's it for the engine.

Drove a stock 09 6.7 yesterday pulling my car hauler with a mid sized car on it. It did really good then end of day same trailer same car but my truck and holly $hit it's way better. Lovin it.

sent from my mobile thingy while picking my nose.

Last edited:
I have a H&S Mini Max a Snow Performance water/meth kit and a Natural gas kit. Nothing aside from that.

The cng I use mainly for mileage.

I have a H&S Mini Max a Snow Performance water/meth kit and a Natural gas kit. Nothing aside from that.

The cng I use mainly for mileage.

Hows that cng kit plumbed? They just have a nozzle like a w/m setup would or what? What kinda bump in mpg you seein?

Hows that cng kit plumbed? They just have a nozzle like a w/m setup would or what? What kinda bump in mpg you seein?

I have mine injected in front of the turbo. Cools the air charge a bit as a result.

With the cng I can go 1400 miles on one take of diesel. Last tank was 43mpg.
I only have 14gge of cng though so I only get about 200-250 miles out of a cng fill so 7 cng fills to 1 tank of fuel.
Cost pr mile is like driving a gas car that's getting 25mpg.

So it is for sure that 6.7 injectors will run on an '06? This might very well be the determining factor in my swap as I did not want to have to rebuild my current head AND pay another 2K+ for new injectors! I think I would also do just the motor swap keeping all the bigger stuff off the 6.7, and adding studs and possible valve springs. I guess never a better time than this for a cam, but that's another $600 plus labor added to already a really expensive repair!

I have mine injected in front of the turbo. Cools the air charge a bit as a result.

I only have 14gge of cng though so I only get about 200-250 miles out of a cng fill so 7 cng fills to 1 tank of fuel.

Say What?! Now more ideas.

Thats pretty cool man. Is it a kit er somethin ya built yerself. Sry for the derail but was curious!

Thats pretty cool man. Is it a kit er somethin ya built yerself. Sry for the derail but was curious!

We do the conversions at my other shop.
We originally developed the kit using gas cng parts but have adapted it further over the years.
Currently using a standalone ecm for the cng system to control the rpm and tps.

It's actually kinda crude but works well.

Man, thats cool. So whats sold you on the natural gas over propane?

2 things.
1. The cost of CNG is WAY less then Propane.
2. One of our 2 shops one does CNG conversions.

Seriously though, CNG is less then half propane here. Well last I looked it was anyway. I tend to get tunnel vision at times.

So it is for sure that 6.7 injectors will run on an '06? This might very well be the determining factor in my swap as I did not want to have to rebuild my current head AND pay another 2K+ for new injectors! I think I would also do just the motor swap keeping all the bigger stuff off the 6.7, and adding studs and possible valve springs. I guess never a better time than this for a cam, but that's another $600 plus labor added to already a really expensive repair!

I'm not sure how I missed your post, sorry about that.

Mine runs really good.
The starting issue though I thought fixed is not.

I've been frustrated enough that I've stopped dealing with it at this point.

I've replaced everything aside from the ecm and harness, Utah Diesel changed the ecm and there was no difference in the way it started.
I swapped injectors from a low mile great running truck, no difference.

I'm at a loss here.

I'm not sure how I missed your post, sorry about that.

Mine runs really good.
The starting issue though I thought fixed is not.

I've been frustrated enough that I've stopped dealing with it at this point.

I've replaced everything aside from the ecm and harness, Utah Diesel changed the ecm and there was no difference in the way it started.
I swapped injectors from a low mile great running truck, no difference.

I'm at a loss here.

Well I was told by Shane that it'll run fine warmed up, but cold will be rough starts because of the different voltage required to run the different type of injector. I decided that cold start issue might bug me and might be a problem if I were to ever sell the truck. I'm going back with a 5.9...

I can't say I blame ya.
I will point out though I've only found 2 instances where this had been an issue, mine is one unfortunately.
The other one I found ended up being a chaffed wire.

I want a 6.7 so bad though.. I am getting my head rebuilt now already and I haven't quite finalized a deal on injectors so if I could find a good bottom end I could still do it. At first the big thing was that my head and injectors were ruined too and I would need everything new anyway so I was hoping to just swap in a complete 6.7. Now it's almost too much parts to swap and might be hard finding just a good bottom end.

I knew I needed a new cable tray to fix my truck

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Back