62/71/13ss vs. 66/71/13ss, why is there a difference in lag

newb question here guys.... what exactly is a race cover? its not just a polished housing iam assuming.... just wonderin, never quite caught on to what it is

It is a compressor cover with a slightly larger A/R - essentially a compressor cover that flows more than the standard cover.

It is a compressor cover with a slightly larger A/R - essentially a compressor cover that flows more than the standard cover.

Thanks J- Rod, i figured it was something about like that, just never got a straight answer.

With the quad this 66 spools the exact same as my 62. No difference at all.

Now, with the new quad I lost 10psi of boost and dropped 200* egts and I clear all the smoke but the power is the same. My truck just doesn't wanna be a VP....which is fine cause I got a 215 pump waiting. :D

Sounds like maybe your VP or ECM is eating fueling boxes for dinner! Are you sure your rats nest wiring job isn't shorting out your power adders and causing your dyno woos?

66 spooling the same as a 62? I cant wait to get my 66 from ED!

i would take that with a grain of salt, they will spool, but a 66 will have a little more lag than the 62, it's simple physics, the wheel is larger has more mass, it is going to take some more time to get it going, but once it does, things are good!

Wes

There is a little extra lag but nothing I'd worry about. Maybe 50-100rpm. I can drive around town with no smoke and hammering it in OD isn't a problem. I'm loving this 66.

As far as the rats nest wiring, the quad is run nice and neat so there's nothing to short it out. And its got a brand new harness on it as well. My truck just doesn't like VP's. Oh well.

After a couple of weeks of driving this thing all I can say is WOW. This 66 is freaking awesome. I've got no problem coming off of a light with 0 boost and bringing it up to 10-15psi with little to no smoke between lights. Going from 60-70mph in OD is no problem. I wouldn't recommend this turbo without a cam and I wouldn't go any bigger on the exhaust wheel but with a cam and the 71 exhaust wheel this turbo is way to much fun. I'm loving this thing. I can't wait to get the ported manifold on it and the turbo and manifold socks. Right now I'm seeing 35psi of boost and 1200* egt's and the smoke is clean out of the stacks. But that could also be from the quad not fueling like it should but I'm working on that part.

Back