8.3L Cummins Transplant

Man...I've been slammed. Now that show pigs are on the premise.....I'm building water systems and fence and still trying to get it all done. I did manage to open the box. Lots of goodies....no fan goodies....but enough to keep me busy for a while.

I did manage to get the shop cleaned out so that I can pull the truck in there later this winter, but for now.....I just can't get to it.

I'm ready to torque the new mains, install the IP from Snedge, and then mount the compressor and PS pump from Sig600. Just got ta do it.

Looks like the long-bed megacab conversion is taking a back seat to the dump truck. I need the big truck more. I need it right now actually but I can' afford to dump parts off and pay someone to put it together. Maybe in the next life. I can't wait to roll 12 gears in this beotch with twice the torque it had. :snoop:

Last edited:
I've got one, thanks. It has been setting in the barn for over a year maybe two now. LOL

This was at 24VRiviera's old place a while back.

attachment.php

I am gonna need more 8.3 parts....list to come as soon as I type it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1
Snedge...are you listening? ;) I might have to buy new if someone doesn't have this stuff layin' around.

#1 Front Cover Seal
Marked with 3942535 on it.
attachment.php

#2 Gasket for the the Air Compressor
Holset P/N 5558006 on the compressor, no markings on the gasket. It has the cut-out for the hole cast in the flange.
attachment.php

#3 New gear for the compressor.
Apparently I need a new gear since this one is a tad too small.
attachment.php

#4 Nut for the IP
I sent the nut from the original pump to Chris with the pump. Me no hav no mo.
attachment.php

#5 Oil pickup tube and gasket for a front sump
The pan it had was a center sump. Chris sent me what looks like a brand new pan. I just need the plumbing now. I'm assuming the tube I have won't work, but, I haven't tried it yet either.
attachment.php

So, I'm assuming I timed this thing correctly. The cam and crank gears are lined up at TDC according to the markings and the timing pin goes into the back side of the cam gear. The IP I believe was pinned at TDC when Jeff sent it to me (however, I didn't check it). So I should be able to slap the IP gear on it and tighten it down where it sets granted I don't strip the timing pins off, correct?

attachment.php

Those are the issues that I found in the few hours of tinkering last night.

Attachments

• IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6026.jpg
    IMG_6026.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6029.jpg
    IMG_6029.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6030.jpg
    IMG_6030.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6012.jpg
    IMG_6012.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6028.jpg
    IMG_6028.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1
Misc stuff in the care package from up north since someone wanted to know what was in the box.

First and foremost....a 6-speed Eaton and housing. Also an exhaust manifold. I'd like to leave the turbo setting up if I can, but if it won't clear the hood, I'll have to swap it and turn it down. There is a turbo hanging on the manifold but it is trashed. No idea what it is. Haven't picked it up yet.
attachment.php

The air compressor and power steering pump combo that I desperately needed.
attachment.php

A clutch in about 4 pieces or so.
attachment.php

A mount and what looks like a thermostat housing.
attachment.php

Clutch housing.
attachment.php

Other odds and ends in the bottom of the pallet I haven't dug out.

Attachments

• IMG_6011.jpg
    IMG_6011.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6024.jpg
    IMG_6024.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6015.jpg
    IMG_6015.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6014.jpg
    IMG_6014.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6013.jpg
    IMG_6013.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1
I'll see if I have an oil pickup tube. Did I send you the center sump tube?

Chris

I don't think so. If you did, I haven't found it yet, but it was dark when I opened the box. I have the center pan and center pick up tube apparatus from this motor. I planned on sending it to you if you want it or anyone else who can use it. Not sure if a combine app uses a center pan or not.

Let me know when I can settle up on shipping.

Riddle me this.....Why does the part number on this compressor say it is for a Cummins C engine but the model number say it is for an L10/K/N14? It is obvious that it isn't for a Cummins C cause it don't fit. Can anyone share before Jeff and I research the crap out of it?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Compressor.jpg
    Compressor.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1
Fukk it.!!! Just rebuild the 8.2. Scrap the whole idea. It's too hard. !!!!!!!

J/K When I get a few minutes up in here I'll dig. Got your emails too.

Pretty sure there are two different auxiliary drive positions on a 8.3, and also a option of no auxiliary drive. Complicated fukkers. I still think they should have carbon copied a 5.9 at 150%. I'm not much of a 8.3 fan.

I'm just thankful that we never had to deal with them with a CAPS fuel system.

Pretty sure there are two different auxiliary drive positions on a 8.3, and also a option of no auxiliary drive. Complicated fukkers. I still think they should have carbon copied a 5.9 at 150%. I'm not much of a 8.3 fan.

I'm just thankful that we never had to deal with them with a CAPS fuel system.

Yeah, they are a PITA once you get into fuel problems.

Chris

Good Lord. I would guess the end play is not acceptable. Lol. Might need a rebuild kit for this dude too. Remind me why I started this? Lol looks like the 4.5" diameter gear will work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7biANntkdQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7biANntkdQ[/ame]

From dumb phone.

I guess so. I pulled the gear off the compressor. It moves in and out a lot.

Meanwhile.....no plunger or whatever explains why the lift pump doesn't work.
471b5f3d302cfeee76f8d910fd6a44c4.jpg

From dumb phone.

Back