8.3L Cummins Transplant

Auto swap FTW! 740 Allison with the 777 torque converter. Race dump truck.

LOL. No automatics in the ranch dump truck. We don't want the Cowboy to get too soft. LOL

I agree that checking the thrust is important, but looking at the lack of wear on the bearings, I'd say fukk it. Put all new main bearings or just a new thrust, and run it.

This is sounds better and better, we might want to get people that will WORK.

I'm alawys down for a good road trip I dont think OKC is that far from MN. :)

It's a days drive, with time left over to drink when you get here.

And we gotta find a way to let the world know that 3.2% isn't all you can buy here lol. I wonder how that rumor even started LOL

Yes. 3.2% is all you can buy cold at the convenient stores. You can buy what ever you like at the liquor stores...as long as they carry it. ;)

Worst case scenario, I have a 3/4 torque wrench you can borrow. I imagine you'll be able to find something closer.

Well the manual says 50, 95, 150 ft/lbs. Hell, I got that covered with mine. It just seemed they were torqued to 350 when I almost blew a nut taking them off. Maybe I just needed a longer ratchet. **insert what she said joke.

LOL

Let's just say I'm quite certain they haven't been removed since conception.

So, when I get the new mains, and "roll them in," will having all the caps off be enough if the front seal and rear main are in place?

I know they will roll one direction and not the other, but are there any tricks? Any tools that help?

There actually is a little tool that cummins offers to drop in the oil hole to push them out. Never used one though.

With the galling on the face where the thrust plate rides, am I an idiot not to pull the crank and have it faced? Will it just eat the new bearing up? Anything I can do with it in place to clean it up at all?

I'll need to spin it over and check out the other side, but what is showing in the pic is probably rough enough to eat a groove in the thrust plate.

New main bearings on the way. The UPS guy just walked out the door with a big box for you.

See... I told you we would have wife problems... No HOMO :)

Front thrust plate wasn't far behind meeting the rear one in the pan. That three-piece design seems to me to just be plain stupid. Let's put a joint right on a wear surface....:bang

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5342.jpg
    IMG_5342.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5339.jpg
    IMG_5339.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
If it wasn't for the joint, you'd risk spinning the whole bearing.