8.3L Cummins Transplant

I'm going to guess next spring, 36 pages, and do you have any idea how happy I would be if I bought all the parts and you sum beotches showed up for a weekend? :rockwoot: ......or at least one person with knowledge to teach me....

It'll take a whole lot more than 3.2% to make that happen.

Well hellz bellz...if all it takes is some Jet A proof clear liquor....I can hook some brothers up. LOL

5% is good for me, but I could bring my own. I'd also bring a fishing pole to give me something to do while work is happening.

This is sounds better and better, we might want to get people that will WORK.

I'm alawys down for a good road trip I dont think OKC is that far from MN. :)

After starting a grass fire with my cutting torch welding corral fence....and successfully burn an inch of my mustache putting it out....I managed to get a few caps off. Pretty certain I'm gonna need a torque wrench upgrade to get these back on.

Standard bearings.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Aft thrust plate is the one that dropped.
attachment.php

attachment.php

There is some minor scuffing on the outside of the journal. Not sure if it is correctable in the block. Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't eat the new plate?

attachment.php

As far as the bearing lands on the journals, they look fantastic to my untrained eye. The bearings look great too.

attachment.php

One thing I did notice, even thought it looks fantastically clean inside, the oil in there smells like ASS! It is nauseating.

The piston sleeves look great too as far as the two that are where I can see them goes.

Attachments

• IMG_5306.jpg
    IMG_5306.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5303.jpg
    IMG_5303.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5304.jpg
    IMG_5304.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5300.jpg
    IMG_5300.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5305.jpg
    IMG_5305.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Main cap oil ALWAYS stinks! The bearing in the bottom pic looks all but new, hmm.

I am not sure how I feel about those pictures yet. Get any accurate end play measurements before pulling it apart? I know you mentioned .07 but you said roughly.

I am not sure how I feel about those pictures yet. Get any accurate end play measurements before pulling it apart? I know you mentioned .07 but you said roughly.

Well, hell, what good is the end play measurement since the plate is gone? Are you saying I need to do that to make sure if I put a thrust in it that the journal opening won't be too wide...kind of a "how much journal did it eat?" I can do that tonight but I'll have to swipe a dial indicator from work to do anything accurate. I'm telling you, I'm amazed at the cleanliness. It didn't stink until I pulled the first cap. I was like...wth? Peyeeeeuuuuuu! LOL The caps have cast numbers in them so that helps the dummies like me a lot. ;)

Looks good to me. You'll learn to love the smell of main bearings. LOL

The rear thrust is usually the one that gets beat out. I don't think you're going to find any problems, but checking the end play before and after installation is a good idea. The new bearing will have the thrust attached, so it will roll in in one peace.

Looks good to me. You'll learn to love the smell of main bearings. LOL

The rear thrust is usually the one that gets beat out. I don't think you're going to find any problems, but checking the end play before and after installation is a good idea. The new bearing will have the thrust attached, so it will roll in in one peace.

Sweet. I would guess the heavier the clutch, the harder the rear thrust gets beat.

Well, hell, what good is the end play measurement since the plate is gone? Are you saying I need to do that to make sure if I put a thrust in it that the journal opening won't be too wide...kind of a "how much journal did it eat?" I can do that tonight but I'll have to swipe a dial indicator from work to do anything accurate. I'm telling you, I'm amazed at the cleanliness. It didn't stink until I pulled the first cap. I was like...wth? Peyeeeeuuuuuu! LOL The caps have cast numbers in them so that helps the dummies like me a lot. ;)

Precisely. If the end play is off of the charts still even with a new thrust what is the plan? If you plan to say phuck it Ill roll with it and cross that bridge again later then I wouldn't even check it LOL

I'm on the fence with the "I'll only drive it 500 miles a year tops" and "now is the time."

I also plan on pulling the dump bed most of the time and using it as a gooseneck totter and take some beating of my Dodge.

I'm on the fence with the "I'll only drive it 500 miles a year tops" and "now is the time."

I also plan on pulling the dump bed most of the time and using it as a gooseneck totter and take some beating of my Dodge.

Don't use the clutch unless needed, and roll on.

If the end play is out of spec, there's only a couple things you can do to fix it...all cost significant money. For your usage, roll on.

Chris

Agreed. If you are on the fence then let it slide. I wouldn't even measure it. Ignorance is bliss. Auto swap FTW! 740 Allison with the 777 torque converter. Race dump truck.