8.3L Cummins Transplant

Thank you sir. That is excellent. I'm going to the bolt store in about 30 mins.

Negative. The fan bracket holes in this block are the same as the housing. M10x1.5. ;)

From dumb phone.

Finally....got this big SOB on the rack and bled out in a bucket. That sum buck is so heavy I can't even move it around. The stand I borrowed is gonna need a tire upgrade.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5281[1].jpg
    IMG_5281[1].jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5278[1].jpg
    IMG_5278[1].jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5280[1].jpg
    IMG_5280[1].jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
Pulling the pan tonight?

Probably. I need to get the oil filter and all the other filters pulled and try to get it all bled out so when I flip it I don't have a dang mess. Oil was really dark...as expected, but there wasn't any millings on the magnetic drain plug so that is a plus. Gonna have to make me a list of a truck load of little crap to order from Jeff like gaskets and junk.

Probably. I need to get the oil filter and all the other filters pulled and try to get it all bled out so when I flip it I don't have a dang mess. Oil was really dark...as expected, but there wasn't any millings on the magnetic drain plug so that is a plus. Gonna have to make me a list of a truck load of little crap to order from Jeff like gaskets and junk.

Well come on with it then. I'm chompin at the bit here to see this thing come together.:Cheer::st:

Me too. I just have to tinker with it at night after dark. I'm currently trying to finish the pipe fence and working facility for the cattle then I have to run water and electric and a drain to the show pig barn we are building. So, I'm a little busy, but trying to stay motivated on all the projects. I need five arms and few more legs.

I don't see that it's mentioned in here, but if bearings don't tighten up that .070 end play, you may have issues trying to get a clutch to hold adjustment... Hopefully it just needs mains rolled in

Ouch Jory!!! Don't tell me the thing is in bad shape....

I found things in the pan of my irrigation pump motor, 5.9 with a cav pump on it, come to find out the hill rod rebuilt it and missed somethings.... it has new bearings now :bang

Oh wait where is that thing I haven't touched it since... :hehe:

Last edited:
With my luck the crank would be junk. With your luck the crank will be made out of solid gold. Lol Seriously, that's not promising. Stupid multi piece cummins oem thrusts. I've seen them fall off and not cause damage, That one looks to have got wadded up on the way out.

Hopefully it just caught the side of a rod on the way out

Sent from my flashscan v2

Honestly....the rest of it looks fantastic. There is no gunk on anything. Looks like the oil was changed regularly. It is super clean. I can't even find where the thrust plate came out of.....I might as well be doing brain surgery...I'd know about as much.

The cam is super clean. There are some mild discolorations on the lobes, but I really don't see any wear. I sure wish I knew more about "internals." I feel dumb.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1
The thrust is located at #4 main. That would be the 4th main cap from the front. The #4 main bearing has a thrust flange built onto the top (block side) bearing. Look at #5 in the picture I've attached.
You'll need to check end play on the crankshaft. Get a bar in there and see how much movement the shaft has back and forth.

Last edited:
Cool. The shaft play was about .070 when I measured roughly from outside the motor. The plate that came out is .125. I'll inspect more tonight. I guess it is ok to take the #4 cap off, I'll just pull it off and look at the crank. I'm still amazed at how clean it looks on the inside. I hope it isn't deceiving.