8.3L Cummins Transplant

Looked like a good guess to me. It moves enough that when you see it the "oh chit" dinger goes off in your head. Lol

It sure as hell isn't in the thousandths. Unless I'm just that nieve.

It's enough that I'm worried that there is even bearing material between the block and crank according to that 1986 black-n-white picture from the manual. LOL

Jory, call Double D and send them the solidworks file, they have a 4x8 waterjet that can cut up to 4" thick.

.200 is a ton I dont think there is that much side to side play allowable in the piston pins.

Either way its out of tolerance but if its .200 you have some BIG issues.

So, I swear we weren't drinking. Not an accurate measurement, but just using a caliper from the front edge of the timing cover to the edge of the dampner, travel is around .070" from end to end.

From dumb phone.

So, I swear we weren't drinking. Not an accurate measurement, but just using a caliper from the front edge of the timing cover to the edge of the dampner, travel is around .070" from end to end.

From dumb phone.

If that's at the damper, it's probably less at the bearing itself right? But either way, if you can feel it moving at all, I'd replace them lol.

Finally got the adapter plate finished and primer'd yesterday. I'd have had the motor mounted to it but the engine hoist won't go high enough. I'll have to pull out the tractor and loader tonight.

I think I'll try to support it on the front end as well. I'm not very confident in the flywheel housing bolts. The housing is AL for one. And for two, the threads are pretty loose on the bolts until they get almost all the way in. Just not feeling like trusting an AL thread to hold that amount of weight for the next handful of months until I get it done. I see it pulling all the threads out when I let the lift off on it. I don't want to hurt the housing since it will be going to Ohio when I'm done with it. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5231.jpg
    IMG_5231.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2
Looking up the housing, it is P/N J908799

http://www.messicks.com/cas/50431

I assumed since it measures SAE 3, that it would use the 3/8 UNC bolts like the spec calls out. I'll have to research and see if they are tapped metric. They thread by hand fell decent, but not until they are over 1/2 way in. Feels like a pipe thread that is larger then gets smaller. I'll look into it and may call that Messicks place and ask.

Do you have standard or metric bolts? Should be standard I believe.

They had dirt in them as they haven't been used in a while. I ran a 3/8-16 tap in them with a small rachet (meaning, I didn't cut any new threads) and it went right in and came out smoothly. I assumed it was correct since it didn't cut any material. It just cleaned them up. Maybe it just needs drilled and helicoil'd.

Last edited:
Looking up the housing, it is P/N J908799

http://www.messicks.com/cas/50431

I assumed since it measures SAE 3, that it would use the 3/8 UNC bolts like the spec calls out. I'll have to research and see if they are tapped metric. They thread by hand fell decent, but not until they are over 1/2 way in. Feels like a pipe thread that is larger then gets smaller. I'll look into it and may call that Messicks place and ask.

They had dirt in them as they haven't been used in a while. I ran a 3/8-16 tap in them with a small rachet (meaning, I didn't cut any new threads) and it went right in and came out smoothly. I assumed it was correct since it didn't cut any material. It just cleaned them up. Maybe it just needs drilled and helicoil'd.

The threads may just be wore out. If the bolts have been in and out of the housing a few times it doesn't take long for a steel bolt with an impact on it to deform the threads.

Hells bells. That's what I get for assuming it conformed to the SAE spec. Looking up the PTO Clutch Assy on the irrigation unit that mounts to it.....

HEX SOC SCREW,M10 x 40mm,

Apparently I've lost my sense of touch. Story of my life. LOL

I guess I'll be going to the hardware store 'cause I know there ain't much metric crap in my shop.

Edit:

.375 x .0625 pitch will thread into a M10 (.394) x 1.5 (.0591) BTW in case anyone was wondering.

:hehe:

Last edited:
I'm going to try to support the front of the motor with a bracket that screws into these four holes. I am assuming they are where the fan bracket mounts. Anyone know what they are tapped before I guess and screw up again? Google is letting me down. I don't have a good resource yet for block details other than the less descriptive Case diagrams.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2
Back