8.3L Cummins Transplant

Since I'll probably put less than 500 miles a year on this truck...aftermarket sounds like the way to go. So, they can be spun in one at a time? I'll pull some caps tonight and check out the crank.

If you think the aftermarkets are the way to go, just toss a set in with that other package you are sending me if it hasn't left and I'll pay you for it at the same time. Kinda stupid to NOT replace them all at this point, right?

I'll have to do the rear main seal when I take it off the stand. The way it is mounted isn't exactly gonna work for that. Probably the very last thing I do before it goes in the truck...whenever the hell that will take place.

If you think the aftermarkets are the way to go, just toss a set in with that other package you are sending me if it hasn't left and I'll pay you for it at the same time. Kinda stupid to NOT replace them all at this point, right?

Aftermarket is just fine. I would like to wait until you get a main cap off before sending anything. We'll want to make sure they are standard bearings.

The bigger question is going to be why did the thrust bearing end up in the pan, Its one thing to replace it but it will more then likley happen again.

If I had to guess your crank is going to have some heavy grooves on the thrust bearing journals to cause that kinda of damage to the thrust bearing.

Before removing main caps mark them 1-6 and mark which way is forward if they arent already. Its easy to say I will remember how it goes back together till your kid walks over and starts playing legos with the main caps. :)

Normally aftermarket uses a 1 piece thrust design, making them worth more IMO. Fair chance you would have never had a problem if it would have been one piece from the factory.

Your saying aftermarket use "normal" bearings then "shims" on each side of them for thrust bearings?

Never seen that, no doubting you just wondering.

Then again the biggest thing I have worked on his 5.9 or 454 BBC I dont get into this crazy semi truck stuff :)

I think he is saying the aftermarkets have the bearing and the shim all machined as one piece. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Like this?

m_56M-XB3Djssk2T7fH7-mg.jpg

Last edited:
The bigger question is going to be why did the thrust bearing end up in the pan, Its one thing to replace it but it will more then likley happen again.

If I had to guess your crank is going to have some heavy grooves on the thrust bearing journals to cause that kinda of damage to the thrust bearing.

Before removing main caps mark them 1-6 and mark which way is forward if they arent already. Its easy to say I will remember how it goes back together till your kid walks over and starts playing legos with the main caps. :)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread irrigation engines take a beating. They get loaded hard continuously for days at a time. I never encountered a power unit that was over powered for the application. If the unit was pumping the water and running the wheels on the pivot then it saw one hell of a life.

I hope the best for this one. I personally will never touch an engine that was used as a power unit. The engines see full load for days at a time and it is rare you see an oil level murphy gauge on them. Oil changes are once a year at best. If they have engine protection on the mechanical engines it is usually just coolant and oil pressure. I cant see any indications of a murphy oil level unit on the pan in the pictures.

Can you get a decent peak at the cylinder walls on it from the bottom?

I will tonight. And you can assume it will have some type of "Murphy" gauges on it when I'm done. ;) LOL

Don't let him scare you too badly Jory. LOL

It is true that power unit engines live a hard life, but let's remain optimistic here.
Once you get a look at the bearing surfaces, we'll have a good idea of how it's been maintained.

The murphy system is a must for engines that run unmanned.
This is going to be a dump truck. If your gauges work, your good.

No worries. You have an engine that you've purchased @ way under its value. You are by no means, in the hole.

O, I know. Thanks for the confidence. I just meant that I have an extra "Murphy" Gauge, the old flat panel that was in my '02. It might just need a home for boost, drive, oil pressure, yada yada yada. I'll get it on the road first...then "Murphy" the hell out of it when I can. ;) Thank God there is no OBDII. :hehe:

Last edited:
O, I know. Thanks for the confidence. I just meant that I have an extra "Murphy" Gauge, the old flat panel that was in my '02. It might just need a home for boost, drive, oil pressure, yada yada yada. I'll get it on the road first...then "Murphy" the hell out of it when I can. ;) Thank God there is no OBDII. :hehe:

Oh chit... I forgot about your electrical prowis. Murphy the hell out of it. :hehe:

We will cross that bridge when I get it in the truck and running. I'll have to work on getting all the dash gauges working with the new power plant. What I can't get to work....I'll just add. I'd at least like to add a EGT probably but hell I got ta make fire before I can measure the temp.

Don't let him scare you too badly Jory. LOL

It is true that power unit engines live a hard life, but let's remain optimistic here.
Once you get a look at the bearing surfaces, we'll have a good idea of how it's been maintained.

The murphy system is a must for engines that run unmanned.
This is going to be a dump truck. If your gauges work, your good.

No worries. You have an engine that you've purchased @ way under its value. You are by no means, in the hole.

This.

I am not trying to be overly pessimistic just being honest so you have an idea of what you are jumping into.

In the end you can dam near do a full overhaul on it and still be well off. You got it for way less than I pay for a core and you have an actual core. Not a block with a hole in the side missing a turbo and pump.

It will be extremely satisfying in the end knowing you tackled something you would normally shy away from. No better way to learn! Heck you will be overhauling everything you own before we know it LOL

No doubt. I'll still take it.

I'm going to vote that the crank will be fine. Roll bearings in, check the thrust, and roll out.

Chris

I think we should do a poll "when will this truck be done" and how many pages will it be on comb d. :)

Or we could do it overhauling style and all show up a Jorys place and knock this truck out in a weekend :)

I think we should do a poll "when will this truck be done" and how many pages will it be on comb d. :)

Or we could do it overhauling style and all show up a Jorys place and knock this truck out in a weekend :)

I'm going to guess next spring, 36 pages, and do you have any idea how happy I would be if I bought all the parts and you sum beotches showed up for a weekend? :rockwoot: ......or at least one person with knowledge to teach me....