8.3L Cummins Transplant

Wrong color...

I'm thinking my guys cut that oil pickup. I have another engine in the barn I need to get down and see if it has the right pan on it.
Chris

Wrong color...

I'm thinking my guys cut that oil pickup. I have another engine in the barn I need to get down and see if it has the right pan on it.
Chris

Ya, I guess a little tan won't hurt. LOL

Cool. Thanks.

It will be dirty oil black soon enough I'm sure. I've never owned a Cummins that didn't have an external lubrication system. No sense in starting now. LOL

Need to add .475 to the block that goes between the compressor bracket and the block. Found a nice scrap block of AL 6061-T6 at work. I'll have to hit the neighbors Bridgeport tonight.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6301[1].jpg
    IMG_6301[1].jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1
Small steps...but at least they are steps forward and not backward.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6305.jpg
    IMG_6305.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
Got the mains torqued, oil tube and bracket put in, and oil pan on. Ppump is mounted and connected except the return. Front cover and crank seal is installed. I removed the compressor and put the flat cover on so I can fire it on the stand hopefully. New lift pump in on.

One small issue......I broke the effin banjo fitting off the end of the injector return line. Is there a way to fix that or do I need to procure a new assembly?

attachment.php

Frakin' ass Windows 10 rotates all my portrait pics to landscape. WHY?!?!?! :bang

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just gooped the front cover on it....since someone sent me a gasket for a normal 8.3L instead of a bastardized Case built AG POS. :hehe: I hope it doesn't leak.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6436.jpg
    IMG_6436.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6437.jpg
    IMG_6437.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6438.jpg
    IMG_6438.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6426.jpg
    IMG_6426.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
Yeah, gaskets are always screwy on AG engines.

Might be able to braze the line.
Chris

How much pressure is seen on that return? It isn't much is it? Shouldn't take too much to hold it. I just has to resist the vibration, correct?

Barring this engine over by hand....crank turns easy after torqueing mains; however, when piston 3 and 4 start moving up toward the head, it binds tighter than a mouse's ear. I can't bar it past that. Is the compression just that high or is something wrong? I drained the oil before I spun it over upside down. I'm wondering if some of it seeped and hydro locked a piston. Should I pull the injectors and try to bar it over and make sure I didn't screw something up? I just don't understand why it locks up so tight. Feels like a mechanical binding.

How long has it been sitting right side up?

Maybe just let it sit right side up for a day or so and see if it drains back past the rings.
Chris

How long has it been sitting right side up?

Maybe just let it sit right side up for a day or so and see if it drains back past the rings.
Chris

I put it right side up night before last. I'll try it again tonight. I sure didn't think it had any oil in it when I flipped it but who knows.

So now the bottom end seems to be fukked. It will bar over about a 1/4 turn of the crank and lock up. Then back about 1/2 turn of the crank the other direction and lock up. When it locks, it seems mechanical. I pulled the injectors to release the compression. I also loosened the main caps back off. Not sure what to take apart next. Do I need to drop rod caps one at a time and see if there is a piston problem? Should I just pull the dayum head and inspect? Could it be the oil pump? I'm glad I had the dang oil pan back on and sealed and the timing cover put on it. Dammit.

Opinions? I wish one of you smart jerks lived closed to me. I'd sure buy pizza, BBQ, and beer for a day worth of help.

BTW, the injectors were nasty as hell. Probably gonna send them out for clean and test.

Last edited:
You didn't loosen all the mains at the same time did you. If you did I hope you had it flipped upside down.

You didn't loosen all the mains at the same time did you. If you did I hope you had it flipped upside down.

Yes, It was flipped. I just un-torqued them. I didn't loosen them enough for the bearings to move...or at least I don't think I did.

She is upside down and ready for me to do what ever....I just don't know what that is.

I wonder if there isn't a push rod and valve in cylinder 3 or 4? It binds when those two cylinders go up.

Good, chances are the crank seals are okay then.

So... with all the main caps loose, it still has the tight spot?

Good, chances are the crank seals are okay then.

So... with all the main caps loose, it still has the tight spot?

Yes. I can't turn past them. Rear main hasn't been replaced yet. The only crank seal I have in it so far is the front seal. I'm just using a bar between two bolts screwed in the balancer. Won't budge. Cylinder sleeves look great from the bottom. I haven't seen any marks where something would have been dropped and beat up.

Back