8.3L Cummins Transplant

Ok, bung hole-ios, I'm way too deep to swap the game plan now...unless someone wants to swap me out-right. ;)

Right now I should have about 2 grand in this motor by the time it runs and is in the truck. I'm at about $1500 right now and still need to buy all the damn filters. More depending on how the 6-speed works out. If the 6-speed is in great shape and doesn't need work, I'll use it. If it won't work, then I'll use the 5 speed I have. I was hoping to find someone to go through and freshen up the 6-speed and check it all out and swap me the labor and parts for the working 5-speed I have. This taking for granted the PTO will unbolt from one and bolt to the other. I have no idea yet. Once I get this b1tch running on the stand I'll feel better about the whole deal. :D

I'll buy it whenever you want to sell.

Chris

LOL

Ewwww.....pweeeety.

29af2ee13c0179483140bd4c7c8c4d31.jpg

From dumb phone.

Ok, bung hole-ios, I'm way too deep to swap the game plan now...unless someone wants to swap me out-right. ;)

Right now I should have about 2 grand in this motor by the time it runs and is in the truck. I'm at about $1500 right now and still need to buy all the damn filters. More depending on how the 6-speed works out. If the 6-speed is in great shape and doesn't need work, I'll use it. If it won't work, then I'll use the 5 speed I have. I was hoping to find someone to go through and freshen up the 6-speed and check it all out and swap me the labor and parts for the working 5-speed I have. This taking for granted the PTO will unbolt from one and bolt to the other. I have no idea yet. Once I get this b1tch running on the stand I'll feel better about the whole deal. :D

Maybe I missed this but what are the transmissions? Are they NV's or something different?

Original is a 5005A Eaton.

I think the 6 speed is a 5106 Eaton. Haven't got it out of the crate yet honestly.

attachment.php

Hoping the PTO junk will just move over but I haven't looked at either of them closely. I got to get the front end done first.

Attachments

• IMG_6011.jpg
    IMG_6011.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1
I'm wondering if we will still be using fossil fuels by then...

Shut....yer....hole. I think I'm doing good considering I have no internal experience, doing it myself, and have to wait for 4-5 days for every part I order (not complaining). :hehe:

Snedge's quote in my signature comes to mind. ;)

His quote is so wise and simple LOL So much truth. I am not exaggerating when I say there are guys I wouldn't trust changing my oil that are out there doing in frames. Pure hacks.

I am college educated and I avoid college educated employees. So far in my short life I have noticed they can't be taught unless they wear a tie and call themselves a professor. Easier to take somebody who knows they don't know chit from shinola and teach them.

What do you do with this truck, Jory?

I know your an electrical engineer but do you have a side landscaping business or something? Or do you just have to truck to play around with?

I think you're making a huge improvement with the new engine. Should be a completely different truck...

I use about 1% of the crap I learned in college on a daily basis at my current job. I'd hire someone with zero college and 15 yrs experience over a fresh 4.0+ college grad any day.

What do you do with this truck, Jory?

I know your an electrical engineer but do you have a side landscaping business or something? Or do you just have to truck to play around with?

I think you're making a huge improvement with the new engine. Should be a completely different truck...

I bought it for use around our farm. We run 16 head of momma cows and a bull. I go get loads of rock and gravel for our driveway, haul dirt from high spots to washouts, clean up old barns, just random stuff. Currently, I need to load it full of scrap iron and haul to town to get some money to cover some of these parts. LOL The latest ice storm also took it's toll on the driveway. I really need to go get some rock. It just costs too dang much to have it hauled every time. I'll make my upgrade money back in a few years of use and break even eventually.

I'm gonna strip everything off of it when I do the swap that isn't needed. Drop a little weight, add another gear, add hp and tq, and it should run like a champ...I hope. Bed is 14 ft. I'll put some 2x12's on the top with an angel cut and I should be able to haul 7-8 tons. I haul about 6 tons on it now. It has heavy axles. It'd be awesome to find a short tag trailer to haul the tractor with the loader behind it eventually, but that is a long term goal. With the Detroit, adding that much load wasn't even an option.

I also want to be able to pull the dump bed and use it to pull my flatbed and stock trailer when I use them. That would take some strain and use off my daily driver 1-ton.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03010.jpg
    DSC03010.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
I am college educated and I avoid college educated employees. So far in my short life I have noticed they can't be taught unless they wear a tie and call themselves a professor. Easier to take somebody who knows they don't know chit from shinola and teach them.

I take a little bit of offense to this....

I am college educated with an engineering degree, meaning I am a very analytical person and focused on the details... Which in my option is a must when working on major components.

I have friends that went to diesel mechanics school that I wouldn't trust doing a brake job, let alone major work on a road tractor...

I take a little bit of offense to this....

I am college educated with an engineering degree, meaning I am a very analytical person and focused on the details... Which in my option is a must when working on major components.

I have friends that went to diesel mechanics school that I wouldn't trust doing a brake job, let alone major work on a road tractor...

I am a 26 year old college educated kid myself so do not see that as an old man on his soap box. I am referring to the people who went to a college that offered a diesel program for the most part given we were discussing shop work.

I can teach somebody who has never touched a wrench how to build a turbo in a day but if I handed a turbo to the majority of college graduates they wouldn't know where to start. That is the point we are trying to make. You do not know how to do everything straight out of college. College teaches people a lot but the pompous attitude many acquire while they are there is the problem. Let's not clutter up Jory's thread with this stuff. :Cheer:

Back