8.3L Cummins Transplant

It is a Cummins product. It is going to leak. I like their product but let's be real LOL

Truth. This will be the fourth truck I will have owned with a cummins, three dodge duallys and now this 8.3L. I have yet to have one that didn't have an external lubrication system. However, this is the first one I've had out of a truck on a stand where I can go to extreme limits to seal crap up. My motto: Shoot for excellence and settle for mediocrity. LOL

Big Cummins are even worse about leaks... 8.3 doesn't classify as big but...

CAT likes to use o-rings and rubber clad steel gaskets vs cummins who loves paper

C10 would have been beautiful. Might have been mounted horizontal but dry sump FTW!

If only a c12 woulda worked. We coulda broke all kinds of driveline parts!

I've got an ISX with a 2pc crank if you want a Cummins that won't leak.

C10 and C12 are the same block/head so if one fits the other will too.

I've got an ISX with a 2pc crank if you want a Cummins that won't leak.

C10 and C12 are the same block/head so if one fits the other will too.

My comment was just based off having driven a c-12 that would shame a lot of big motor trucks. Not size... Just for the record.

Ok, bung hole-ios, I'm way too deep to swap the game plan now...unless someone wants to swap me out-right. ;)

Right now I should have about 2 grand in this motor by the time it runs and is in the truck. I'm at about $1500 right now and still need to buy all the damn filters. More depending on how the 6-speed works out. If the 6-speed is in great shape and doesn't need work, I'll use it. If it won't work, then I'll use the 5 speed I have. I was hoping to find someone to go through and freshen up the 6-speed and check it all out and swap me the labor and parts for the working 5-speed I have. This taking for granted the PTO will unbolt from one and bolt to the other. I have no idea yet. Once I get this b1tch running on the stand I'll feel better about the whole deal. :D

Last edited:
Ok, bung hole-ios, I'm way too deep to swap the game plan now...unless someone wants to swap me out-right. ;)

Right now I should have about 2 grand in this motor by the time it runs and is in the truck. I'm at about $1500 right now and still need to buy all the damn filters. More depending on how the 6-speed works out. If the 6-speed is in great shape and doesn't need work, I'll use it. If it won't work, then I'll use the 5 speed I have. I was hoping to find someone to go through and freshen up the 6-speed and check it all out and swap me the labor and parts for the working 5-speed I have. This taking for granted the PTO will unbolt from one and bolt to the other. I have no idea yet. Once I get this b1tch running on the stand I'll feel better about the whole deal. :D

New filters? I'd just rinse them out and use them again, who's got that kind of cash laying around?

Back