8.3L Cummins Transplant

We get to play with these once in a while

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ41RFcEkWs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ41RFcEkWs[/ame]

Problem is we may be needing it.

Don't worry about it then. I found a couple places that can do it I just have to load this big SOB up and drive a little bit. ;)

I can probably build both though. Those sleeve should come out decently easy, correct? Can they be tapped in or is that a stupid idea?

Just saw Jonathan during my lunch break. I think we will skip work this afternoon and take the head to Jane's Machine Shop in Enid.....funny how the farm show is there today as well. What a coincidence. LOL He quoted me $150 for the disassembly/clean/flux/reassembly and said it won't be much more depending on how many valves he has to work on. I figure $300 should cover it but we will see. Had a few good words about them from some local machine guys so I guess I'll try them out.

Last edited:
I can probably build both though. Those sleeve should come out decently easy, correct? Can they be tapped in or is that a stupid idea?

Sorry. I haven't seen an 8.3 in our shop for a while. Go figure.

Sleeve will fight back for about 1/2", and then fall out. You can just pound it out from the bottom.
Install should be easy too. Lube the oring, and push it in. Use a block of wood across the top and a few taps will send it home.

Last edited:
Hellz...I gots hammers and some hard wood. LOL

I watched the video online of it being done and it was simple and easy....but that was with the proper tooling and on an very clean vo-tech test engine that has probably had that sleeve pressed in and out more than a carney has deep throated a corn dog. I fully expected this thing to fight back harder.

We get to play with these once in a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ41RFcEkWs

I know nothing about Detriots, can you intrepret the 16V149TIB, please? I know the 16V is number of cylinders and the 149 is cubic inch per hole but what is the TIB?

Also, this video is listed as a DDEC 3, are the fuel systems and engines similar to the Series 60s? Or is the Series 60s the only electronic, 4-stroke engine Detroit pursued?

Sleeve will fight back for about 1/2", and then fall out. You can just pound it out from the bottom.
Install should be easy too. Lube the oring, and push it in. Use a block of wood across the top and a few taps will send it home.

This was going to be my suggestion. Done them that way in my uncles IH tractors many times.

I have one you can buy for CHEAP and learn all you want to. LOL

If you weren't all the way in OK, I'd probably come get it. I want to see how long and engine will run with no oil or water! And see what kind of carnage results.

I know nothing about Detriots, can you intrepret the 16V149TIB, please? I know the 16V is number of cylinders and the 149 is cubic inch per hole but what is the TIB?

Also, this video is listed as a DDEC 3, are the fuel systems and engines similar to the Series 60s? Or is the Series 60s the only electronic, 4-stroke engine Detroit pursued?

T" means the engine is equipped with turbochargers, "I" for intercoolers, and "B" for by-pass Roots-type blowers.

As far as the DDEC stuff, I cheated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_60

All the 149s we play with are manual.

Jory,
Sorry to Detroit your "down with Detroit" thread brother LOL

If you weren't all the way in OK, I'd probably come get it. I want to see how long and engine will run with no oil or water! And see what kind of carnage results.

How about testing to see how long it will run with oil IN the water? Just come start this one up in the truck and we'll pull it when it windows.

:hehe:

Had the neighbor turn me a plate on his lathe. It has a lip that centers it up on the sleeve. It aught to press ok. I had a long piece of fine thread rod and some scrap aluminum bars.

attachment.php

As soon as the delivery man gets here with some parts, the block should be fixed pretty quick. I dropped the head off in Enid on Friday. I should have it back possibly by the end of week depending on when I get him the valve seals.

The farm show was good. It amazes me that growing up that it took a couple grain carts to fill up our little trucks. Now a days, it takes a couple trucks to empty a grain cart. Freakin' amazing how big they are getting. 3000 bushel carts? Burry that in your swampy flatland. :hehe: I don't think some of this ground will hole one up when it is dry.

Attachments

• IMG_6530[1].jpg
    IMG_6530[1].jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1
Well oil in the water is better than water in the oil..

I'd love to make a trip to OK to see it come apart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a another care package from the folks at Mumau Diesel. The sleeve is in and the rings are on the piston. Just got to find a ring compressor. I think my backhoe service buddy has one that will work. I'll try it out tonight if my root canal at 1pm doesn't put me down for the day. Effin dentists. I hate 'em.

Jeff, is there something that shows me where all these little O-rings go that are in the head gasket package? Everything in there looks really familiar except maybe those O-rings. I think there are 6 little ones and a few larger ones. Where do the little ones go? And where does that long, rectangular, orange ribbon seal go? I haven't seen one while taking stuff apart.

They give you chit you wont need in those kits. Gasket kits are built to cover a lot of applications. If you don't need it, you get to keep it for other fun stuff.

Cool. There are a lot of things in there that I needed. I'll use almost all of it. I'm really glad it has the round intake horn gasket and turbo oil return gasket. The one I don't see is the intake plenum cover gasket, the flat, rectangle one. I torn this one in a spot but I think a little black goop will cover it. Not like I'll be running 60 psi.....at least not yet. :evil

Back