8.3L Cummins Transplant

You can still send him an empty box.

And if you need machine work done local, Broadway Machine is who Southern Plains uses. I've used them before as well, and they do really good work, even give you literature regarding whatever it is you had done. Even supplied me with part numbers for different things that I might need. All I did was get the block decked lol.

Just fyi. I'm sure there's a good shop in stilly you already know about.

Not really. I'm looking for a place to get the valves ran...or at least cleaned up and checked. I don't trust what I'm looking at.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just soak it in magic oil and run it. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :hehe:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6510.jpg
    IMG_6510.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6511.jpg
    IMG_6511.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6512.jpg
    IMG_6512.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6513.jpg
    IMG_6513.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6514.jpg
    IMG_6514.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1
Not really. I'm looking for a place to get the valves ran...or at least cleaned up and checked. I don't trust what I'm looking at.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just soak it in magic oil and run it. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :hehe:

attachment.php

attachment.php

You are a lot more level headed that I. I'd be on the phone to the seller! And it wouldn't be a nice conversation...

Literally that would have been fine.

Literally...it would have ate the rings up in 500 miles.

You are a lot more level headed that I. I'd be on the phone to the seller! And it wouldn't be a nice conversation...

Well, I did buy a complete engine for $500. No one in their right mind would sell one for that. I knew there had to be an issue somewhere but didn't expect it to be this since he told me "ya, it runs. I have a video of it running but it is on my other phone." Pretty much sounded like hog wash. I'll text him a pic or two and see what he says for fun. I still have his number saved. LOL

I wish I knew his username here. He was a member and probably still is. Name is Chance Smith and works for one of the big equipment dealers in OKC...Warren Cat I think or something like that. He was going to put it into a 3/4 Ford I think. His grandpa bought him the motor and then he probably found out it had issues and pawned it off. It will work out in the end.

Good thing is I'm learning a lot and have a forum of knowledgeable folks backing me. This is Comp D. :D

Agreed.
On one hand he paid what amounts to a core price for the engine.

On the other hand, he was told it was a runner.

So.... It would be worth a phone call to let the seller know what's up.

Agreed.
On one hand he paid what amounts to a core price for the engine.

On the other hand, he was told it was a runner.

So.... It would be worth a phone call to let the seller know what's up.

I texted him that we had a thread about it. Maybe he will show up. I'm not here to bash the guy. I knew it was a risk. It's till probably going to be less than what I would have paid to fix the 8.2L.

It may have been a runner when he got it and he very well may have video of it running. He could have let it sit outside for an extended period of time after he acquired it and then the water came into the picture. How was it sealed up when you arrived to look at it?

It may have been a runner when he got it and he very well may have video of it running. He could have let it sit outside for an extended period of time after he acquired it and then the water came into the picture. How was it sealed up when you arrived to look at it?

Blue masking tape and couple effin rubber gloves. :hehe:

I can't make this stuff up.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Well, I did buy a complete engine for $500. No one in their right mind would sell one for that. I knew there had to be an issue somewhere but didn't expect it to be this since he told me "ya, it runs. I have a video of it running but it is on my other phone." Pretty much sounded like hog wash. I'll text him a pic or two and see what he says for fun. I still have his number saved. LOL

I wish I knew his username here. He was a member and probably still is. Name is Chance Smith and works for one of the big equipment dealers in OKC...Warren Cat I think or something like that. He was going to put it into a 3/4 Ford I think. His grandpa bought him the motor and then he probably found out it had issues and pawned it off. It will work out in the end.

Good thing is I'm learning a lot and have a forum of knowledgeable folks backing me. This is Comp D. :D

Touche!

That is a little bit of a different story. I guess the only thing I would be upset about is, like Jeff said, it was sold as a running engine. But for $500 how much can you expect.

Kinda similar situation with my Kenworth. Bought it running, hoping it would be to serious, ended up needing a new cam, injectors and fuel pump. But for what I paid I couldn't be mad.

Chalk it all up to a great learning experience! Are you going to have the whole head gone through now?

I've ran way worse.

Haven't sold them looking like that, but if it's staying on our farm, we'll run them and figure out what else is wrong first.

Have you cleaned that piston up to see what it looks like below the crud?
Chris

Chalk it all up to a great learning experience! Are you going to have the whole head gone through now?

I think so. Hell, it's off and stripped. Why not?

Pump was rebuilt and tested, injectors that are coming have been rebuilt, and it will have a new head gasket soon so I might as well make sure it can hold the fire in it. Before I pulled the injectors to release compression, it sure made a lot of noise when barring it over. Not sure if it was leaks or proper valving. The lash was HORRENDOUS when I took it apart. Those two push tubes that were worn off on the tappet ends probably had .200 of slob in them.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is the turbo since everything else will be rebuilt pretty much. It spins nice and doesn't seem to be worn out so we will give it a go. Maybe someone will want to test and balance it for a case of beer sometime. :D

Have you cleaned that piston up to see what it looks like below the crud?
Chris

I have not. Jeff is sending me a new sleeve, piston, and rings as a set he said so I haven't even looked at it. Momma went to bed last night just before 10pm. I got it out shortly after that, took a picture, and went inside to make sure I didn't miss anything. I didn't exactly talk to her much last night as I was busy trying to get that turbo off that other exhaust manifold you sent me. Mother....I made up a few new cuss words. The turbo that was on it is complete junk but the manifold is ok except for that one stud that twisted off. LOL

My delima is, I don't plan on putting an innercooler on it. Would the turbo be better served and stay cooler up in the air like it is now instead of tucked down next to the motor? The manifold that is on it now is in way better shap and looks like it would flow more air than the alternate one.

Any opinions on "would the turbo run cooler up in the air as opposed to tucked under the motor?"

I have not. Jeff is sending me a new sleeve, piston, and rings as a set he said so I haven't even looked at it. Momma went to bed last night just before 10pm. I got it out shortly after that, took a picture, and went inside to make sure I didn't miss anything. I didn't exactly talk to her much last night as I was busy trying to get that turbo off that other exhaust manifold you sent me. Mother....I made up a few new cuss words. The turbo that was on it is complete junk but the manifold is ok except for that one stud that twisted off. LOL

My delima is, I don't plan on putting an innercooler on it. Would the turbo be better served and stay cooler up in the air like it is now instead of tucked down next to the motor? The manifold that is on it now is in way better shap and looks like it would flow more air than the alternate one.

Any opinions on "would the turbo run cooler up in the air as opposed to tucked under the motor?"

That doesn't matter. Put it where it's easy to plumb
Chris

I think so. Hell, it's off and stripped. Why not?

Pump was rebuilt and tested, injectors that are coming have been rebuilt, and it will have a new head gasket soon so I might as well make sure it can hold the fire in it. Before I pulled the injectors to release compression, it sure made a lot of noise when barring it over. Not sure if it was leaks or proper valving. The lash was HORRENDOUS when I took it apart. Those two push tubes that were worn off on the tappet ends probably had .200 of slob in them.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is the turbo since everything else will be rebuilt pretty much. It spins nice and doesn't seem to be worn out so we will give it a go. Maybe someone will want to test and balance it for a case of beer sometime. :D

Personally if I had the head off I'd have it gone through.

Another plus side to all of this effort, is that if you ever sell the truck you know and can prove any engine questions. Which is a huge deal in my book in a work truck.

As for the turbo why not go to an S300? They cab be bought pretty cheap and would be a nice upgrade to the HX40.

You'd be surprised how long that thing would run.

I've ran way worse.
Chris

I have a video somewhere of a 12v71 Detroit that got water in it. Wouldn't bar over at all, pulled the injectors, soaked the pistons, knocked the rust off the turbo fins with a hammer and ran it. It was down about 20lbs of boost for the first half hr. It survived an hr at max power at 1800rpm so it was deemed good to go. All that aside I get why Jory is fixing it all.

I'll probably wait and mount the manifold and turbo once the motor is mounted in the truck. That way I can figure out which way is best. I'd like to find an old semi tractor air cleaner that sets on the outside of the engine compartment. I think the cooler the air I can run into it the better off it will be with an MIA innercooler. Trying not to over think it, but these are the thoughts that run through my head at night. I can use either one and the old gaskets to run it on the stand. It might leak but won't matter.

Well....that is true. I just wanted to make sure it had a 4K gov spring in it. :hehe:

Kiddin'....

Back